The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man arrested for successfully saving home from Big Sur fires  (Read 1585 times)

NuclearDruid

Brothers' backfire saves family compound in Big Sur

Note that these outlaws have a "compound". :rolleyes:

As flames swirled toward their family homestead, the Curtis brothers figured they'd get no help and had no choice: The only way to hold on to their 55-acre compound would be to fight fire with fire.

In the end, the controlled burn they set helped save the homes on their beloved Apple Pie Ridge -- but not without major consequences.

Outraged authorities arrested Ross Curtis, 48, on Friday on suspicion of illegally setting a backfire after disobeying official orders to stop.

His older brother, Micah, remains in Big Sur but is acting like a wanted man, dodging sheriff's deputies when he descends from the homestead to Highway 1.

"I understand what's going on. They don't want a bunch of idiots setting off fires that could do more harm than good," Micah Curtis, a 57-year-old artist, said as he walked the scene of the crime Saturday. "But we saved our homes. I'm not asking them to condone it, but they've got to understand it."

As for the backfires, he said, "I was the one who OKd the idea. So the buck stops with me."

His younger brother, however, took the fall.

They were at work on the backfires when fire officials spied them from the other side of the Big Sur River gorge, Micah Curtis said. When officers arrived on the scene, Ross Curtis turned himself in as the culprit so the others could keep working.

Another fine example of hillbilly clanishness spitting on the "authorites".

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
Re: Man arrested for successfully saving home from Big Sur fires
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:48:30 pm »

Typicalreaction to being shown as the incompetent boobs they are.
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:12:25 pm »

Seeing as it is their property I would say they have a right toburn what they damned well please.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:21:25 pm »

Better arrested then burned out of house and homestead!

A clear case of the Law of Self Preservation trumping the Statutory Laws.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up