The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Libertarians should stop insulting cops  (Read 24678 times)

Myrkul

Re: Libertarians should stop insulting cops
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 04:04:53 pm »

Gee, it thought it got it's 'just powers from the consent of the governed.':-)

It does. The problem lies in that old quote, "The only thing needed for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing." A lack of objection is passive consent.

BTW: Yes, I'm back. I've been busy IRL for a while.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:38 pm »

Well ya' know........only a low bucker would say nothing while he's being pissed off more and more for an entire timespan of whatever sort.....and then turn around, and for no apparent reason punch the guy who pissed him off right square in the face......

And I hate to sound dumb........but it's not fair to the cops that folks should smile and say "yes sir" while in their minds slitting the cops throat.....

And yeah........there very well could be many here that consider honesty to be a flaw.....but not me......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

dogsledder54

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 06:55:57 pm »

Well ya' know........only a low bucker would say nothing while he's being pissed off more and more for an entire timespan of whatever sort.....and then turn around, and for no apparent reason punch the guy who pissed him off right square in the face......
And I hate to sound dumb........but it's not fair to the cops that folks should smile and say "yes sir" while in their minds slitting the cops throat.....
And yeah........there very well could be many here that consider honesty to be a flaw.....but not me......

Yeah, but if we just slit the cops' throats won't we get arrested ?  And be in trouble or something ?

Myrkul

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45:59 pm »

If I see a cop performing a road sobriety test, I'm going to smile, and say, "Good work, officer."

If, on the other hand, I see a cop getting all Rodney King on someone, I will act to protect the person.

Police, In general, are not our enemies. Cops have a Job: protect the citizenry. Not from themselves, but from each other.

A Cop is properly performing his job when, for example, arresting a drunk driver, or breaking up a domestic dispute.

A Cop is NOT performing his job when arresting a pot-head (who was not driving under the influence), or when attempting to disarm someone who is simply openly carrying their gun.

A cop performing their job is our friend, the old neighborhood beat-cop. A Cop acting outside their job is an Oppressor, and IMO, should be treated as one.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Bedwere

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »

If I see a cop performing a road sobriety test, I'm going to smile, and say, "Good work, officer."

If, on the other hand, I see a cop getting all Rodney King on someone, I will act to protect the person.

Police, In general, are not our enemies. Cops have a Job: protect the citizenry. Not from themselves, but from each other.

A Cop is properly performing his job when, for example, arresting a drunk driver, or breaking up a domestic dispute.

A Cop is NOT performing his job when arresting a pot-head (who was not driving under the influence), or when attempting to disarm someone who is simply openly carrying their gun.

A cop performing their job is our friend, the old neighborhood beat-cop. A Cop acting outside their job is an Oppressor, and IMO, should be treated as one.

A cop is always performing his job: enforcing the law at gun point. His main job is revenue collection. Going after so called "drunk drivers" (like some arbitrary test can tell if someone is drunk) collects a great deal of revenue for the state, while going after a murderer generates little if any.

For some reason I highly doubt that you would help out anyone being beaten by pigs, since you support them.

vonuvan

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »

And most of todays cops are not peace officers.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 08:13:39 pm »

Why?

If I had the resources (mainly time) if I saw a cop performing a road sobriety test, I would pull over and get it all on video...
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 08:26:41 pm »

MyrKul,

Read the whole thing.........particularly the part about" in their minds"........there was NO reference to actually slitting anyones throat.....was there?

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Myrkul

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 08:30:38 pm »

For some reason I highly doubt that you would help out anyone being beaten by pigs, since you support them.

Firstly, While I am quite offended by your vitriol, I will not respond in kind.

I never said I supported "pigs". I showed some specific examples of police actions, and stated which ones I supported, and which ones I would, Violently, if necessary, oppose.

Btw, a Road sobriety test is not an "arbitrary test". If you can't walk in a straight line, you can't drive in a straight line. If you can't even find your nose on your face, how are you going to operate a very complicated piece of heavy machinery? It doesn't test if you're Drunk, it tests if you are impaired.

Sadly, you are right on one point: I used the wrong word. I used "Job" when I should have used "Duty"

Ideally, a Police officer would disobey any unconstitutional order and place the person who made that order under arrest for treason. In practice, most of them are either just as cowed as the majority of the population, or Brute thugs. The likelihood that I will actually meet a "good" cop is getting slimmer by the minute.

Why?

If I had the resources (mainly time) if I saw a cop performing a road sobriety test, I would pull over and get it all on video...

Getting it on video certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd be right there with you. But I would mostly be amazed at a Cop doing what he's supposed to... keeping the road safe. Why would You record him?  

Myrkul

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 08:33:26 pm »

MyrKul,

Read the whole thing.........particularly the part about" in their minds"........there was NO reference to actually slitting anyones throat.....was there?

Of course not. By dealing honestly with ALL people, not just cops, we escape the passive-aggressive feedback loop we're stuck in now.

Bedwere

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 08:37:58 pm »

I never said I supported "pigs". I showed some specific examples of police actions, and stated which ones I supported, and which ones I would, Violently, if necessary, oppose.

Btw, a Road sobriety test is not an "arbitrary test". If you can't walk in a straight line, you can't drive in a straight line. If you can't even find your nose on your face, how are you going to operate a very complicated piece of heavy machinery? It doesn't test if you're Drunk, it tests if you are impaired.

Interesting how you support the jack booted thugs on so called drunk driving and left out real crimes like murder, rape, theft, etc.

Like I said, more revenue generation from a person who's blood/alcohol content is above some arbitrary level than going after a murderer.

Myrkul

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 08:47:41 pm »

It was more along the lines of my likelihood of ever actually bumping up against a murder investigation.

How many have you seen happening on the side of the road? I know I haven't seen any. I do know I've seen quite a few sobriety tests.

And note also that I did not mention the Breathalyzer. Myself, I could give a shit if you've got a BAL of .5, if you can drive. (hell, at that level, I'll be amazed you can breathe) But if you can drive a straight line, and stay in your lane at that level, Go for it. I fully support your right to get hammered out of your mind. I do not grant you the privilege of endangering my life by doing so.

Bedwere

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 08:51:57 pm »

It was more along the lines of my likelihood of ever actually bumping up against a murder investigation.

How many have you seen happening on the side of the road? I know I haven't seen any. I do know I've seen quite a few sobriety tests.

And note also that I did not mention the Breathalyzer. Myself, I could give a shit if you've got a BAL of .5, if you can drive. (hell, at that level, I'll be amazed you can breathe) But if you can drive a straight line, and stay in your lane at that level, Go for it. I fully support your right to get hammered out of your mind. I do not grant you the privilege of endangering my life by doing so.

People on cell phones driving endanger my life MANY times more than any so called drunk drivers. I ride a motorcycle and I see how you cagers being stupid endanger my life.

Myrkul

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 09:04:29 pm »

People on cell phones driving endanger my life MANY times more than any so called drunk drivers. I ride a motorcycle and I see how you cagers being stupid endanger my life.

Again you make an assumption... Please don't group me willy-nilly. I happen to be partial to the Bicycle as my main method of transportation.

But, Yes, Cell-phone use is at least as impairing as being drunk, if not more. Anything, in fact, which takes attention away from the road and the other vehicles on it increases your chances of intersecting with one of them.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 06:21:27 am »

How should innocent people be protected from irresponsible people who hurl thousands of pounds of metal down the road while impaired?  This is a serious question.  What IS an acceptable solution to this problem?
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up