The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Primaries today--I wrote myself in  (Read 11535 times)

Apple

• Strangely Attractive
  • Play the Game
    • Weapons of Mass Enlightenment
Re: Primaries today--I wrote myself in
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2008, 03:06:41 pm »

Quote from: MamaLiberty
You see, she finally faced the fact that she was starting to "go along to get along," ever so slowly starting to see things THEIR way, trading a questionable vote for a chance to get something she wanted voted in... and gradually selling out the convictions she'd had to start with!!! Like the Chinese water torture, she was being transformed against her will.

Well, I think that power does not corrupt. Corruption corrupts. If you trade your principles for some small and temporary gain (thus providing you with the illusion of power) you're selling your soul down the river in small increments. It's too bad your sister couldn't hold her own in that environment. No blame to her, we're all different, but Ron Paul seems to be able to walk among the vultures with few if any ill effects. That's real power.
 —Well? Shall we go?
 —Yes, let's go.
[Stage directive: they do not move.]

(last lines of “Waiting for Godot”)

PGP Key:  A2D2 B4BD CEB9 24C8 F272  16DC C1C9 65C5 39ED A0BF

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 08:29:44 am »

Integrity or being true ta ones beliefs is a better definition. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 09:02:48 am »

I'll tell you a little about the deal breaker for my sister.

This was a small town, with a city council of five members. A proposal had been made to block the building permit request of a certain store chain. After a lot of discussion, the vote was split in half and my sister was the tie breaker. She had a lot to think about - and not much time to think about it.

1. She didn't like the store chain in question.
2. She knew that if she voted with the no people, she would gain a lot of traction for re-election (it was popular in some parts of town not to like that store right then)
3. The city had previously wanted to take over the same property, but had lost the vote a few months before, at least partly due to her efforts. (At least two other council members were still mad at her about that.)
4. She knew that building permits and eminent domain had nothing to do with liberty or justice

What greatly disturbed her was the fact that the first three were perfectly normal considerations for any politician.

She voted to "allow" the store to have the building permit. Then she announced that she was not running for re-election.

Oh, and the store was never built because TPTB made an end run around the council vote. I don't remember just how they managed it, but the city finally wound up with the property. It was "given" to the nearby subdivision for a "park" (open space and parks were all the rage right then).

Would the people who lived there have benefited more from the store opening? They will never know now. But their property taxes all went up, of course. The "park" somehow increased the value of their homes - and the park wasn't paying taxes as the store would have.

Who really benefited? Beats me. But I'm glad she quit. She was slowly losing it.

The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Apple

• Strangely Attractive
  • Play the Game
    • Weapons of Mass Enlightenment
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 01:59:37 pm »

Thanks for the story MamaLiberty. Looks like she didn't start "going along to get along", rather, she proved to herself that the whole council was nothing but a charade! (She did nicely expose the charade for what it is, didn't she?)
 —Well? Shall we go?
 —Yes, let's go.
[Stage directive: they do not move.]

(last lines of “Waiting for Godot”)

PGP Key:  A2D2 B4BD CEB9 24C8 F272  16DC C1C9 65C5 39ED A0BF

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 02:21:21 pm »

Thanks for the story MamaLiberty. Looks like she didn't start "going along to get along", rather, she proved to herself that the whole council was nothing but a charade! (She did nicely expose the charade for what it is, didn't she?)

She was a city council woman for 6 long years. She made quite a few compromise votes that she now deeply regrets. SHE now says that she was gradually slipping into becoming just another politician... and that store vote was what woke her up. I like to think that was at least in part because she was seriously challenged in a conversation we had about it the day she discovered it was on the agenda. She called me, and I talked turkey...

The point is that everyone can rationalize and close their eyes to the truth. And, if you play with the pigs in the mud, you are most apt to get dirty - regardless of your initial intentions.

She clearly saw that she had only two choices: get the hell out of there or go under the mud.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up