The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading List  (Read 2601 times)

Myrkul

Reading List
« on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:27 pm »

the "Essential Libertarian SF/F Reading list" @ nolanchart.com

Atlas shrugged was intentionally left off Atlas Shrugged, perhaps because it's *always* suggested...

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Here's mine: Claire Wolfe, The Hardyville stories (especially if she should ever get them collected into a book)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Re: Reading List
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:05:24 am »

I know this this thread is elsewhere, but I'll add my 2 cents worth.

Anything by Heinlein and, in a way, his juveniles. I started reading RAH in about 4th or 5th grade and he was the greatest influence on what I am today. (I joined the Navy because of Starship Troopers.)I still reread the juveniles and get lots of inspiration from them even now. They may not have the complexity of his later novels, but they never fail to inspire me, even 40 yrs later. When I'm feeling down, I reread a Heinlein to get me on track. Doesn't matter which one, any will do. My fave is Time Enough for Love tho.

Spider Robinson's Callahan stories. A lot of diehard Heinlein fans dissed Dark Star, but I liked it. Spider definitely gets it and he was the only living writer who could have even attempted to finish a Heinlein outline. Well, maybe John Varley whose Steel Beach and The Golden Globe are very Heinleinian. Oh yeah, his new Mars trilogy is pretty damned good too. But Spider injects a humanity into his books which Heinlein didn't. I visit Callahan's Saloon, and my soul is soothed. This is a place I want to find. But it is within me, not an actual bar. Great stuff.

I got more, but that's it for now.

Coyote

Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: Reading List
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:47:21 pm »

Certainly an understanding of the Austrian school of economics. Mises.org has a great list titled "For Beginners" that would put anyone well ahead of those with college degrees in Keynsian economics.

http://www.mises.org/store/For-Beginners-C9.aspx

There must-have list is very good, too.

http://www.mises.org/store/Ten-Must-Haves-C10.aspx

With even a modest understanding of real economics you are equipped to smell rats from great distances and recognize them immediately.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up