The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Barr Asks Paul to be VP  (Read 8530 times)

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Barr Asks Paul to be VP
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:09 am »

I caught this on CNN (or maybe Fox as I surf thru these guys) yesterday but checked their website and didn't find anything. They did have a good segment with Ron and Nader about encouraging folks to vote 3rd party--any 3rd party. Good move. And Wolf Blitzer wasn't condescending!

If Ron Paul agrees to run as VP on Barr's ticket, that could shake things up considerably. Maybe not enough to win, but make it a more interesting horse race. Wayne Root was gracious in saying that what ever would promote the cause of liberty, was fine with him.

Man, if Ron would say yes, I could get excited about this election again.

Coyote

Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

Lenny

Re: Barr Asks Paul to be VP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:01:02 am »

If Ron Paul agrees to run as VP on Barr's ticket, that could shake things up considerably...
Word on the street is that Ron Paul is T.O.ed at Barr. He issued his "invitation" at a press conference shortly after RP's conference, which Barr was invited to but blew off without warning Dr. Paul. During the conference he trashed Paul's message earlier that day. And his "open letter" was incredibly condescending.

Oh, and there's the small fact that Barr is so unlibertarian, he's barely McCain "Lite."  :angry:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:48:28 am by Lenny »

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:12:40 am »

Barr isn't fit to carry RP's water.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:02:43 am »

I confess to being a Libertarian Party activist ... on sabbatical.  I sent the following response to some of my fellow LP activists who aren't on sabbatical:

I can't say what I would have done at the convention were I there, but if I had voted for Bob Barr to be our presidential candidate, right now I'd be thinking I misjudged his character.

I'm getting the impression he views us as a bunch of rubes of a lower order in cultural and mental strata who should be awed and grateful that such a handsome and intelligent guy is representing us to the world.  He seems to believe that whatever happens in his little head should immediately be acted upon to the wonder and amazement of the political hicks whose parade he jumped out in front of.

A more apt image in my mind is that he just tripped and needs to be ground under the feet of the parade he stumbled in front of.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 11:51:24 am »

Man, if Ron would say yes, I could get excited about this election again.

Sorry, Coyote. Think about what really happened.

Paul pulls together a brilliant idea & holds a much-trumpeted news conference to unify all the third parties around core concepts of liberty.

Barr pretends he's going to be part of it.

Half an hour before the national media assembles, he tells Paulistas (literally, according to some), "Go fuck yourselves" and pulls out of the event.

Half an hour after, he tries to upstage the liberty campaign with a news conference of his own.

He offers Ron Paul -- a better known, more powerful figure than he -- the vice presidency. Never mind that he hasn't got the slightest authority to do so. Never mind that he's just royally stabbed Paul in the back. Never mind that his campaign is already failing and can't even raise a million bucks (to Paul's multi-millions).

Paul would have to be insane to accept Barr's "offer." It was nothing but egotistical grandstanding on Barr's part -- something Barr is already all-too-well-known for. He's swine.

Good luck to us all.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Anduril

• Shunned
  • Somewhere, over the Rainbow...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 01:32:45 pm »

Claire:

After Cheney's coup d'etat, the Vice-Presidency must look more inviting than it used too.

"Paul would have to be insane to accept Barr's "offer.""

And the hopelessly corrupt GOP would have to be crazy to run Ron Paul for President.

Cordially,

Anduril
ANDURIL   (Qu?: 'west-brilliance')  The sword of Aragorn II, reforged from the shards of Narsil (itself originally forged by Telchar of Novgrod), by elven-smiths in Rivendell in TA 3018.  On its blade a design of seven stars (for Elendil) between a crescent moon (for Isildur) and a rayed sun (for Anarion), as well as many runes.  Because of its heritage and its bearer, and because of its great brightness, Anduril quickly became a famous weapon.

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 01:22:33 am »

Well, ok.

There is a Libertarian guy at work who I run into from time to time. He went to the convention and feels that Barr was the best choice just because his name carries more weight. And he has a point. As I've said in other posts, it's all about marketing. Palin is a HUGE marketing coup for McCain.

Claire, thanks for the details on Barr, but I'll probably vote for him anyway--just for party loyalty. Interesting tho, I gave $20 to Ron Paul whenever I could afford to. I have not given a dime to Bob Barr. Maybe my subconscious knows something? He certainly doesn't fire me up like Dr Ron did, even though I knew it was a lost cause.

Coyote
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:33:07 am »

Donating to Ron Paul's presidential bid was not a lost cause and is not wasted money.

A lot of people noticed.  There are a lot of US. 

Though a huge percentage of supporters are definitely un-wealthy, Ron Paul's campaign attracted more non-corporate money than perhaps any campaign in history.

There is a lot of passion for liberty left in this country.

We are not alone against the leviathan.

Barr, on the other hand ...  well, isn't that what the lawyers practice at? ... the barr?
Okay, bad joke, but I am definitely not excited about him as the LP candidate.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 11:47:01 pm »

Maybe I'll vote for Nader, lol

Coyote

vonuvan

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:55 pm »

And the hopelessly corrupt GOP would have to be crazy to run Ron Paul for President.

Only if they wanted to retain control of the hopelessly corrupt federal government after his, probably landslide, win.

Anduril

• Shunned
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »

Only if they wanted to retain control of the hopelessly corrupt federal government after his, probably landslide, win.

Yes, there is that angle.  But how would RP handle that situation?  Very unstable...

Cordially,

Anduril
ANDURIL   (Qu?: 'west-brilliance')  The sword of Aragorn II, reforged from the shards of Narsil (itself originally forged by Telchar of Novgrod), by elven-smiths in Rivendell in TA 3018.  On its blade a design of seven stars (for Elendil) between a crescent moon (for Isildur) and a rayed sun (for Anarion), as well as many runes.  Because of its heritage and its bearer, and because of its great brightness, Anduril quickly became a famous weapon.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 05:28:42 pm »

Yes, there is that angle.  But how would RP handle that situation?  Very unstable...

Cordially,

Anduril

Unstable?  He's been saying the same stuff he says now since the 1970s.  He's probably the only guy in DC who actually BELIEVES anything.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Anduril

• Shunned
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 05:39:46 pm »

"But how would RP handle that situation?  Very unstable..."

That situation, rather than Ron Paul!

Being a front man for carpet-baggers??

Cordially,

Anduril

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:03 pm »

As I've said in other posts, it's all about marketing.

Well then maybe the chowderheads should try marketing their principles rather than some republipuke in drag.......
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:16 pm »

Donating to Ron Paul's presidential bid was not a lost cause and is not wasted money.

A lot of people noticed.  There are a lot of US. 

Though a huge percentage of supporters are definitely un-wealthy, Ron Paul's campaign attracted more non-corporate money than perhaps any campaign in history.

There is a lot of passion for liberty left in this country.

We are not alone against the leviathan.

Barr, on the other hand ...  well, isn't that what the lawyers practice at? ... the barr?
Okay, bad joke, but I am definitely not excited about him as the LP candidate.

I believe the expression appropriate is "Right on brother".

It could be argued that RP is no more qualified to be the Prez than Sarah. Ron has less executive experience, no foreign policy experience and he is a "hick Doctor" from Hooterville Texas...

"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up