The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little Essay...  (Read 5700 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: A little Essay...
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 05:18:14 pm »

All of which we allow by our passive consent.

There is the "we" again. I'm not automatically part of that "we."

There are no collective responses, any more than there are collective rights. There are times when many people make a similar response to something, but each person responds as an individual, whether they  copy someone else or not. Many people don't give consent, passive or otherwise.

Many people don't get any opportunity to give their consent.  Many of them are dead. Ruby Ridge and Waco come to mind. There didn't seem to be a lot of general outrage by the rest of the US population over those either.

Most people will endure almost any amount of tyranny if they are not the ones in the frying pan at the moment and can thereby go on living a while longer - even if they are not happy about it. Those same people can fight like badgers if backed into a corner with little other option. Others walk to the ditch to be shot without a whimper of protest. And everything in between.

It's part of human nature. That part isn't apt to change any time soon.

The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rick N

• Anger is a Gift
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 05:50:30 pm »

Others walk to the ditch to be shot without a whimper of protest.

This will never cease to baffle me.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

My public PGP key

Myrkul

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 06:03:47 pm »

All of which we allow by our passive consent.
There is the "we" again. I'm not automatically part of that "we."

Sorry about that. No, you're not part of that "we" most people here are probably not part of that "we". Consider the above quote to be amended as: "All of which is allowed by the passive consent of the greater part of the population."

Others walk to the ditch to be shot without a whimper of protest.

This will never cease to baffle me.

Not me. Though it is rather sad. Diversity is necessary for any population to thrive, and this includes behavioral diversity. Government selects for this kind of behavior.

Homo Domesticus.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Rick N

• Anger is a Gift
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 06:13:26 pm »

Not me. Though it is rather sad. Diversity is necessary for any population to thrive, and this includes behavioral diversity. Government selects for this kind of behavior.

I wouldn't say that they select for it so much as create it. That's what the public schools are all about.

I still don't understand why you'd just quietly go along when the fact of your immediate execution is absolutely certain. "There are no victims, only volunteers," I guess.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

My public PGP key

cowardly lion

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 10:01:29 am »

Coupla notes, even though I got here late.

#1, myrkul, when I first started reading this thread, I thought you were describing an anarchy, where private businesses took care of what they regarded as trespasses against themselves . . .   Then I saw your point, and agree heartily.

#2, as noted previously, I can't imagine walking complacently to the edge of the ditch and waiting for the bullet.  The wife and I just re-watched "The Edge of Darkness", an Errol Flynn WWII film, I won't call it propaganda, but it certainly was meant to inspire any English-speaking allies.  It's about Norway's resistance to the German occupation.

In it, a group of hostages are 'forced' to dig their own graves before execution.  The wife and I looked at each other and said, simultaneously, "No way."

I think this country is going to collapse under it's own financial mis-dealings.  Getting our own house in order and preparing to ride it out and re-build is the trick.  The trouble is, it's not going to be quick and clean, but drawn-out and dirty. 

cl
Sic semper tyrannis, baby!    - Joel Simon

As much as we may not want to consider it, we must have a mindset that enables us to do instant and devastating violence in defense of self and/or loved ones.   -Dave Champion

It's not unusual to run into folks in the internet that are dense enough to have event horizons.

Remember, remember, the fifth of November . . . .

Don't mistake my silence for weakness - no one plans a murder out loud.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 10:10:41 am »

This movie was one of the most difficult to watch I've ever experienced.

http://shop.jpfo.org/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=8
You have never seen anything like Innocents Betrayed. This story has never been told in a documentary film.

In this powerful documentary produced by Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, you will learn how governments have historically deprived people of firearms ... and then wiped them from the face of the earth. Priced at just $29.95, postage paid - it has to be seen.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up