The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: This is the way the world ends  (Read 113558 times)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Re: This is the way the world ends
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »

I see this as a possible beginning to a real and free world.

Yeah me too...............and I don't lament the death of the old world either..............I only look forward to the new...........

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »

I won't miss the old order and the rule of the elites, but I fear the rule of the mob.  Right now, if the wheels come off, I fear this country would raise up a tyrant.  Not everyone would agree, but that's democracy right?  Only the majority of voters have to agree, and most people will go along.

We need time to change that, to teach ourselves and others the lessons of liberty.  Time to return to values of honesty, thrift, hard work, self reliance, personal responsibility.  Time to rid ourselves of debt and the notion that government can do anything beneficial.  But time is one thing we do not have in abundance.

It will be interesting.  I'm too old and tired to think it will be grand.  But perhaps it will be better in our lifetime.

Peace,

Silver

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2010, 06:02:46 am »

I won't miss the old order and the rule of the elites, but I fear the rule of the mob.  Right now, if the wheels come off, I fear this country would raise up a tyrant.

Wannabe tyrants we will always have with us. :( And sheeple who want them to be their masters, of course.

I keep hearing what sounds like "save the world." Meaning, "we've got to convince everyone of...." It's never going to happen. The best we can do is create communities of committed people who will live and work in true freedom, dedicated to mutual defense against the would be tyrants in whatever form they come.

We can't wait until everyone is on board with this because it will never happen.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:22 am »

The best we can do is create communities of committed people who will live and work in true freedom, dedicated to mutual defense against the would be tyrants in whatever form they come.

Amen to that.  Unfortunately I'm hitting brick walls every where I turn.  Plenty of great neighbors, just a little clueless to everything that is going on.  Or...  they are just veeery good at OPSEC.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #304 on: August 26, 2010, 05:06:21 pm »

The War Street Journal reported today that the Federal Reserve voted to monetize still more debt at their August 10th meeting.
Peace,

Silver

I just heard this story on NPR this afternoon.  The Fed has purchased 1.25 trillion dollars worth of mortgage-backed securities.  How To Spend $1.25 Trillion

The Fed was able to spend so much money so quickly because it has a unique power: It can create money out of thin air, whenever it decides to do so. So, Dzina explains, the mortgage team would decide to buy a bond, they’d push a button on the computer — "and voila, money is created."
They (the Fed people) sounded as if it was cool, very excited. 

Earlier, there was a story about the money that the Fed had created and put into reserve for banks.  They hold the money (effectively keeping it out of circulation) for the banks & pay the banks interest.  Apparently, the Fed is considering (or is being encouraged to) reducing the interest rate to 0% or even charging the banks for holding the money.  They want the money to be used for loans to businesses. 

Sounds like fun. 
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

motomom

« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2010, 01:20:52 am »

Thanks for a great post, Silver.  I too have been watching the money stuff very carefully.  That is how the world will end, I agree.  It will be a monetary collapse, and the Feds will already have a system set up for the IMF to take over and print a new currency.  The normal folks will have to do everything on the black market, or do without.  I think it is going to happen lots sooner than 5 years.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It merely wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:26 am »

There's a decent essay on how a hyperinflation might occur in the near future.
I don't agree with everything he writes, but he understands the difference between inflation and hyperinflation:

Hyperinflation is the loss of faith in the currency. Prices rise in a hyperinflationary environment just like in an inflationary environment, but they rise not because people want more money for their labor or for commodities, but because people are trying to get out of the currency. It’s not that they want more money—they want less of the currency: So they will pay anything for a good which is not the currency.

I also think it is quite likely that something trivial will set off the stampede.  I've commented about a growing feeling of dread before, but it is palpable now and people everywhere are taking notice. 

Gary North's essay How the Bankers Have Trapped Bernanke makes a good case that the fed will start massive money creation again, and probably soon.

They always do.  That's what happens to every paper currency, every time.   There are no exceptions.  The dollar has had a longer run than most.  It's time is near.

I think it was Dr. North who came up with this apt metaphor:

We're all sitting on a big pile of gunpowder kegs.  There are fuses lit, some that we can see, others that we can hear but not see.  We've been here for a long time and the tension is getting unbearable.  There's no question about what will happen, only when.

Peace,

Silver

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #307 on: November 04, 2010, 06:38:44 am »

$75 billion a month. For the next 8 months.  This is how the fed proposes to help us.

They are creating money from nothing, using it to by Treasuries, then the fedgov uses that money to buy goods and services.  And to kill people.

75 billion a month is
2.5 billion a day is
100 million an hour is
1.75 million per second.

If they bothered to print it, they would need to print 1 million pieces of green paper per hour, each stamped "100."  The presses would have to run 24/7, 365 days a year, no breaks.

This is extraordinarily inflationary.  The huge increase in the money supply in 2008 was and still is largely confined to "excess reserves" held by banks at the fed. It has not entered the economy. The new money being created today is spent into the economy right away, bidding up the price of everything.

Helicopter Ben is doing exactly what he promised, but it's easier and cheaper to give the money to a government that is spending $3 for every $1 it gets in taxes than it is to hire a fleet of helicopters.  Helicopters needs trained pilots and fuel.  Government bureaucrats need neither training nor supervision, they can waste money better than anyone.

You'll know the fed has helped you when ATMs no longer give out $20 bills, just $100.

Peace,

Silver
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:00:45 am by Silver »

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #308 on: November 04, 2010, 06:40:48 am »

Were they bothering to print it, the fed would need to produce two piles of the size shown in the picture - every minute of every day.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:01:53 am by Silver »

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #309 on: November 04, 2010, 10:50:44 am »

$75 billion a month. For the next 8 months.  This is how the fed proposes to help us.

They are creating money from nothing, using it to by Treasuries, then the fedgov uses that money to buy goods and services.  And to kill people.

75 billion a month is
2.5 billion a day is
100 million an hour is
1.75 million per second.

If they bothered to print it, they would need to print 1 million pieces of green paper per hour, each stamped "100."  The presses would have to run 24/7, 365 days a year, no breaks.

That really puts it into perspective.  My tiny brain can barely even process such a staggering amount - and this is just for this particular 'stimulus'.  100 million an hour?  Wha... how...  Gaaaah!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Silver

• thrivalist
  • Moderator Group
« Reply #310 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:22 am »

I'm sorry, I made a mistake.  The War Street Journal reports that the total is $110 billion a month - $75 billion  a month for "stimulus" plus $35 billion a month "to replace mortgage bonds in its portfolio that are being retired."  That's what happens when people pay their mortgages -  the fed conjures up more money!

So it's $153 million an hour, and they need to print one of those stacks of money every 24 seconds.

For now. There is no way this will be the last of the money printing.  It will get worse before it gets better.

Peace,

Silver

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #311 on: November 04, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »

Put together every producer of product in the USA ... that's General Motors, General Mills, General Electric, General Dynamics and General Sanders - oops, no Sanders was a Colonel, I forgot.  Anyway, the total of EVERYTHING Made in the USA on one year is less in value than the dollars the Fed has decided to pour onto the fire to smother it.

Somehow they have the masses thinking this is a favor to us. I wish I could laugh about it.  It is incredibly sad.  I know so many people with dollar-denominated assets in the bank, going to college for a job that won't exist, living at the edge on an income that is about to disappear ...
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »

You can easily get back at the government and the federal reserve by buying gold and silver.
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2010, 10:47:36 pm »

You can easily get back at the government and the federal reserve by buying gold and silver.

Happily, I did.  October 30th I went partners on a monster box that has been screaming upward in value since its purchase.

Today we sold a really great car, an '84 Mercedes 300D turbo, for $1500 and immediately called Northwest Territorial Mint to convert it to silver.  An hour later we had already made $84 on the silver.  While the Mercedes would hold its value, the silver will hold it better.

Next Monday we will be refilling the pantry.  Our tiny silver holdings are screaming upward. Our crappy jobs are going to be among the last to go. We are starting to feel like we are improving our position for the god-awful future we foresee.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
« Reply #314 on: November 09, 2010, 11:09:32 am »

Good thinking on converting the car into something "real".  I did the same a month or so ago.
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 40   Go Up