The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAG THE DOG (1997) - A Timely Classic  (Read 2037 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
WAG THE DOG (1997) - A Timely Classic
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:56:12 pm »

By now I'm sure everyone has seen this 1997 Gem that gained a lot more notoriety in 1998 when the Clinton-Lewinsky Scandal Broke ....

WAG THE DOG uncannily predicted this matter along with the suspect Military Actions to divert attention away from Mr. Clinton sexual failings... ^_^ and I'll bet this is on Claire's Movie List as well....

THE PLOT

The movie starts with a scandal at the White House where The President is accused of fondling a young girl scout visiting the Oval Office just a few weeks before an election. Being the third party observers, we know the truth, he's guilty.

Robert DeNiro plays "Conrad Brean" the spin doctor who's job it is to engineer a way and a means to divert the news of the scandal. He brings in Hollywood producer Stanley Motts played by Dustin Hoffman to create an artificial for television only war to distract the American public and let the President get on with the job at hand, protecting the free world.

We, like the American public, get caught up in the events of a fictional war produced in the basement of the White House with computers and blue screens, actors and scenarios.

Soon they even release a mental patient who once served in the military because he has the right last name, "Shoe" to portray a war hero of the conflict. They release him because they have a show song from a nostalgic old tune that contains his name, a war tune now to drum up sympathy and national support for the war effort. It doesn't take ten minutes of the movie before we, like the cast of characters and the public in the movie have forgotten about the young girl in the oval office.

In the end, the movie ends with tragic comedy. We see our new heroes dead and our illusions, that all we see and hear on television news is true, have also been killed.

PLOT LINK

S6: Everyone in WTD turns in a great performance especially Dustin Hoffman as the self enamored Hollywood Producer based on Hollywood Legend Robert Evans....However Woody Harrelson as the derranged Sgt Shoe upstages him in his scenes...

Evans reportedly loved Hoffman's depection of him. :wub:

Anne Heche is along as the go along Neurotic White House Press Flack and she provides a lot of well timed humor especially after the Jet she is riding in crashes and goes off on a profanity laced tirade on Hoffman who responds "You think this is bad....This is NOTHING !!!"  :laugh:

Robert DeNiro acts as the Greek Chorus through his character of Conrad Brean and  haplessly tries to convince Hoffman not to blow the cover of the whole charade when Hoffman is chagrined that he will not recieve any credit for the charade he masterfully produced. DeNiro fails and sadly nods to a JBT Agent to give the go ahead to dispose of  Hoffman...

Willie Nelson, Denis Leary, and even Andrea Martin from SCTV are background characters that play a small but vital part of the action in this Spin Opus...

Plus WTD has a great Soundtrack with some memorable songs...

WAG THE DOG is a must see especially in this Election Year....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:51:24 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
Re: WAG THE DOG (1997) - A Timely Classic
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:59:22 pm »

An absolutely chilling movie to watch, very worthwhile. Great performances all around, the Willie Nelson character was probably my favorite.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
Re: WAG THE DOG (1997) - A Timely Classic
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »

An absolutely chilling movie to watch, very worthwhile. Great performances all around, the Willie Nelson character was probably my favorite.

Loved the laugh Hoffman did when Nelson's character (Johnny Dean) told him he just got married and was riding around in a Pickup Truck with his dog and shotgun.... ^_^

Kirsten Dunst also appears as the Young Actress hired to play the Faux Albanian Maiden running away from danger with her calico kitten...

And who could forget these lines ?

Stanley Motss: The President will be a hero. He brought peace.
Conrad 'Connie' Brean: But there was never a war.
Stanley Motss: All the greater accomplishment.

Conrad 'Connie' Brean: We're not gonna have a war, we're gonna have the appearance of a war.

Stanley Motss: What did television ever do to you?
Winifred Ames: It destroyed the electoral process

WAG THE DOG also uncannily predicts the usage of Jessica Lynch from Gulf War II as the hometown GI made into an unwilling hero
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:24:16 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers
Pages: [1]   Go Up