The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'South Park' vs. Lucas and Spielberg: Too far?  (Read 3720 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
'South Park' vs. Lucas and Spielberg: Too far?
« on: October 10, 2008, 03:07:41 pm »

Never mind "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report," the most welcome Comedy Central program this election season just might be "South Park."The series has been on a roll for the past four/five seasons, and whether turning an alien invasion into an examination of immigration, or leprechauns into targets of terrorism, "South Park" has been presenting relatively reasoned examinations of cultural issues.

Returning with new episodes as part of its 12th season, "South Park" didn't level its aim at presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain (fingers are crossed for such an episode to be forthcoming). Instead, the series had Hollywood heavyweights George Lucas and Steven Spielberg directly in sights.

From there, an excited Stan sits down to watch the latest film in a dream sequence/nightmare, but soon has to warn Indiana Jones that Spielberg and Lucas are nearby. And then Indy's pants come off. The boys of "South Park" spend much of the episode struggling to come to grips with the raping of Indiana Jones. In its rave review of the episode, IGN wrote that "South Park" went "beyond offensive and into some sort of hyper-offensive stratosphere," all of it hilarious.

Indeed, each scene builds upon the other, with Spielberg and Lucas eventually becoming two rednecks in the woods who demand Indy "squeal like a pig" as the pair humiliates and degrades a cinematic icon. A Stormtrooper gets it even worse, prompting the "South Park" police to lock up the directors to prevent such travesties from happening again. Not that anyone didn't see this coming. Parker and Stone tried to warn Spielberg and Lucas from even making a fourth "Indiana Jones" flick. Back in 2002, the series took the two to task for re-editing their films for the worse, hoping to prevent a ruining of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

LINK

S6: Well Who has'nt South Park Offended ??? :wub:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
Re: 'South Park' vs. Lucas and Spielberg: Too far?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:25:17 pm »

You can't use the words "South Park" and "Too Far" in the same sentence.  It's South Park.  Too Far is the entire point.

EDIT:  I'm just glad to know now that I'm not alone.  *sniff*  I too have been scarred by this horrible crime.  I'm glad that there was finally justice in the end.  I can now move on with my life.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:44:23 pm »

Love the Mecha Streisand Episode along with the one where Cartman leads a team ala THE CORE  to go after all the Hippies that stage a massive concert in South Park....

Also loved where Cartman did his Jack Bauer bit in the 24 Spoof
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

velojym

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Ah, good times!

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 07:23:11 pm »

<3 South Park.

Now I shall go on search of the intertubes to find episodes.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

velojym

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 10:16:19 pm »

I just watched it at allsp.com
Muahahahaha!
I wonder whether Lucas and Speilberg have seen it yet, and I wonder about the look on their faces...

Klapton Isgod

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 08:20:38 pm »

Muahahahaha!
I wonder whether Lucas and Speilberg have seen it yet, and I wonder about the look on their faces...

Lucas and Spielberg will doubtless notice that the graphic rape scenes were actually homages to famous rape scenes from movies past.  I'm not sure most people will recognize them though.  I recognized two of them, and realized that there was yet another layer to their mockery with this episode.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

velojym

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:51:42 pm »

Muahahahaha!

Lucas and Spielberg will doubtless notice that the graphic rape scenes were actually homages to famous rape scenes from movies past.  I'm not sure most people will recognize them though.  I recognized two of them, and realized that there was yet another layer to their mockery with this episode.

I only recognized the one from Deliverance, but I'm not a real movie buff anyway.

Klapton Isgod

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 07:50:48 am »

The one on the pinball machine was from a movie with Jodie Foster where she played a rape victim.  I don't remember the name of the film.  But that was the other scene I recognized.

Myrkul

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 10:10:47 am »

Seems to me to be a straightforward and accurate review of the latest Indy movie... Done in the typical South park style of graphically portraying metaphors.

They raped poor Indy, So Matt & Trey showed it. ;)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 04:52:29 pm »

In the commentary of the episode "Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants", Matt Stone states that he hates Stevie Nicks, hence the goat.

Her singing voice is often compared to that of a bleating goat, which is why the military confuses the goat with the real Stevie Nicks

Also, The Tom Cruise Scientology Episode was a scream as well...

"MOOOOOMMMM !!!! TOM CRUISE WON'T COME OUT OF THE CLOSET !!!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up