The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Survival Blog post re "Suddenly Homeless"  (Read 8335 times)

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
Survival Blog post re "Suddenly Homeless"
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:37:36 pm »

Glanced over at Survival Blog the other night and saw this post:

Fortunately it was payday and I had money for a hotel, an attorney, and what not. But the unbearable part was having my Bug Out Bag and supplies in a residence that I could not approach or enter under court order which gave me a very sickening feeling of what a fast and unplanned for emergency can produce. My preps are centered around an emergency that is slow coming with warning. Save for my camping/bug-out gear, most of my preps cannot be moved rapidly (like 5 gallon buckets). Further, my emergency plan calls for me to hunker down at my place of residence until things stop moving and I have time and latitude to maneuver and get to my bug-out site for the longer duration. Being under the supervision of two sheriff's deputies put a damper on grabbing my survival gear.

Grabbing my emergency cash, which is well-concealed (Go MI!) was problematic.

Through my attorney, I was able to pick up much of my camping/bugout gear from the former residence. Tell 'ya what, having a good set of quality camping and survival gear that can be hastily put together is a real boon. I purchase good gear and 20+ years (and counting) in the military has given real appreciation for quality equipment.
Not that an urban campground is primitive: hot and cold water, wireless Internet and a laundry make it a perfect spot for temporary emergency stays and at $40/night, much cheaper than a hotel room (in the DC Area, plan on $100 per night minimum for a single room with a military discount). It sucks that I only have a tent to come home to, but it beats living out of my Jeep Cherokee or in a box (or with the Housemate from H*ll)

A couple things strike me about this letter:

1. The co-habitation deal, things like that can go South in a hurry as Mark in MD found out.
2. Mark was despossed via Judicial Fiat, the lady went and swore out an order and he was gone in .003 seconds, with basically the clothes on his back.

Bad for Mark in MD, a lesson for everyone else, no massive collapse is needed to put anyone out on the street, a single sheet of paper can do it, the lesson their is a cache spot is a great idea...as in perhaps the sooner the better.

I've heard of shared domiciles wherein one person is kicked out, the other one sells their stuff or donates it to Goodwill or what have you.

3. Mark in MD showed the need to have at least some CASH on hand, not silver eagles, not 1/10 oz gold coins, but cash, it saved him from some rough times. Mark in MD could have set up shop at the local campground with just a sleeping bag and a car, as long as he had cash for the space rent.

4. Mark in MD's planning worked once he had stabilized the situation, that is when his techno goodies could be deployed and Recovery began, the wifi laptop, the cell phone and knowing a lawyer allowed him to recover the bulk of his possesions, but even then, some things were left behind.

IMO, Mark in MD typifies Urban Preppers, he had the gear, but he didn't really ask himself what his Plan B was, it was a stroke of finances that allowed him to recover much more quickly then he would otherwise be able to recover, of all the things he did, having cash was the most important, more important in fact then firearms or training or even stockpiled supplies.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

IndianBellRanch

Re: Survival Blog post re "Suddenly Homeless"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:37:53 am »

Glanced over at Survival Blog the other night and saw this post:

Fortunately it was payday and I had money for a hotel, an attorney, and what not. But the unbearable part was having my Bug Out Bag and supplies in a residence that I could not approach or enter under court order which gave me a very sickening feeling of what a fast and unplanned for emergency can produce. My preps are centered around an emergency that is slow coming with warning. Save for my camping/bug-out gear, most of my preps cannot be moved rapidly (like 5 gallon buckets). Further, my emergency plan calls for me to hunker down at my place of residence until things stop moving and I have time and latitude to maneuver and get to my bug-out site for the longer duration. Being under the supervision of two sheriff's deputies put a damper on grabbing my survival gear.

Grabbing my emergency cash, which is well-concealed (Go MI!) was problematic.

Through my attorney, I was able to pick up much of my camping/bugout gear from the former residence. Tell 'ya what, having a good set of quality camping and survival gear that can be hastily put together is a real boon. I purchase good gear and 20+ years (and counting) in the military has given real appreciation for quality equipment.
Not that an urban campground is primitive: hot and cold water, wireless Internet and a laundry make it a perfect spot for temporary emergency stays and at $40/night, much cheaper than a hotel room (in the DC Area, plan on $100 per night minimum for a single room with a military discount). It sucks that I only have a tent to come home to, but it beats living out of my Jeep Cherokee or in a box (or with the Housemate from H*ll)

A couple things strike me about this letter:

1. The co-habitation deal, things like that can go South in a hurry as Mark in MD found out.
2. Mark was despossed via Judicial Fiat, the lady went and swore out an order and he was gone in .003 seconds, with basically the clothes on his back.

Bad for Mark in MD, a lesson for everyone else, no massive collapse is needed to put anyone out on the street, a single sheet of paper can do it, the lesson their is a cache spot is a great idea...as in perhaps the sooner the better.

I've heard of shared domiciles wherein one person is kicked out, the other one sells their stuff or donates it to Goodwill or what have you.

3. Mark in MD showed the need to have at least some CASH on hand, not silver eagles, not 1/10 oz gold coins, but cash, it saved him from some rough times. Mark in MD could have set up shop at the local campground with just a sleeping bag and a car, as long as he had cash for the space rent.

4. Mark in MD's planning worked once he had stabilized the situation, that is when his techno goodies could be deployed and Recovery began, the wifi laptop, the cell phone and knowing a lawyer allowed him to recover the bulk of his possesions, but even then, some things were left behind.

IMO, Mark in MD typifies Urban Preppers, he had the gear, but he didn't really ask himself what his Plan B was, it was a stroke of finances that allowed him to recover much more quickly then he would otherwise be able to recover, of all the things he did, having cash was the most important, more important in fact then firearms or training or even stockpiled supplies.

Well, there are places to bugout to that are too far from camping to walk to, and too modern to camp in: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgqtv9ff_275hfp46qcd&hl=en

IBR   :wave:

jessme

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 02:35:54 am »

While I feel bad for the man this happened to, I think it can be a huge lesson to all of us. It takes a LOT LESS than one would think to turn someone into just another homeless person on the street. And once you are living on the street, you will find yourself more vulnerable to attack..both illegal in tings like robberies, and legal, like harrassment of the local cops. I have known first hand from doing some work where I was raised that the tale of the guy who begs all day then goes home to a house on the marina with a speedboat and it is just worse than an urban legend, it is bullshit. I know many homeless people, or used to, when I lived in California, and most of them were just people having a hard time with meds. The largest single group of homeless people are veterans, with the mentally ill right after that, and if you combine the two and get mentally ill veterans, that is your larges group right there. But rather than building halfway houses for our veterans (since the few we have have long waiting lists), we want to pay for police to give tickets to homeless people for something as stupid as jaywalking, and if the cops are in a particularly jovial mood, then they will confiscate a shopping cart that holds a person's every earthly posession, and will dump them on the sidewalk, and go on with their day, their mission of adding to the misery of the poor and homeless accomplsihed.

What I am trying to say is especially in today's economy that it is a lot easier that one would think to become homeless. Then you can do two things..you can run around in a blind panic flailing your arms about, or you can try to figure out how to survive, and where to go to get help. In this, the 'old' homeless are more familiar with having worked the system than you, and they are willing to share with anyone who has it, all of what they have, which is their information. I have also seen where soup kitchen lines were getting long and they would come out and say they wouldn't have enough for everyone this time, and watched as most people walked away, and while doing so convince an elderly man that he needs to eat, so to stay..I know the homeless are lawbreakers and pee in public...but they are human beings too, and while I have seen the worst of what man could do when in the ARmy...I have also seen the best in man volunteering for stand downs.

gaurdduck

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:53:33 am »

I was homeless for a few weeks once when I was eight.
We lived in our car for the first 5 days. We got a small apt after a month.
But even after my parental unit both were working 2 jobs each, we still needed charity just to survive.
We ate plain beans sitting on the floor. Our plates were margarine tubs. We slept on the floors too.
We got our first dining room table and chairs, and living room furniture, out of the garbage.
My step brother, we'll call him TweakMaster(his hacker name), and I started a business taking out the
trash for the elderly in our neighborhood. We made 25 cents a bag.
We used it for luxuries of course. Gumballs and a movie at the general store for $1.25.
That was a week's pay for us until more old people moved in.

All that experience makes me so grateful to have the money to eat out twice a month at a mom and pop place down the street,
when when I was a kid, eating out was something we did only when someone else treated us (usually Grandpa), or when there was a reason to celebrate.

You can't know the feelings involved with being that poor unless you live it.
I hear all the guys on here bragging about their guns and large pieces of land,
and I know it's wrong, but I envy them their prosperity just a little.
I keep thinking that if I could just get some land somewhere then I'll be able
to live self sufficiently, and I wont have to lean on others all the time.
~GD

MsSage

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:02:19 pm »

Duck most of the ones who have "All that stuff" Have worked very hard and long  for what they have. Most never go out to eat. They still eat plain beans. Most work long hours or 2 jobs with their wife wrking at home or out to help keep adding to the stock and pay off the land and improve.

Please take this the right way. Instead of buying special swords how about putting that in savings. Save up and get a small rv``you can get one that is small for about $5000. It gives you a roof and wheels. park it at your parents. Save up some more get an acre of land anywhere for about $2000. Most have water and power to the lot. Save up some more and get solar panels and convert rv to solar. Depending on where you get your lot dig a well add a hand pump. Now you have a house, land, power , and water. ALL PAID FOR.

Hail I am laid off and I am still adding to my stores......not as fast but I am not getting into my moving fund. I am willing to work anywhere and do anything. But right now too many businesses are cutting back and some are out right closing. I am about to apply for a job that will NOT pay all my bills but there are one maybe 2 things I can cut out .....daughters cell ~ her daddy can pay for it. and if worst comes to worst internet. Then I am down to rent, power,my cell, gas for truck, and food. I dont go out to eat. If I do go anywhere its to meet shoer and he pays for my gas and all food and hotel. 
Its a matter of where your prorities are.....
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

jessme

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 02:09:28 pm »

Truest words I have seen on this board yet.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 02:36:44 pm »

BTDT

Slept on cardboard in a construction site for three days while I searched for work and found a "room". [garage]
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

gaurdduck

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »

Please take this the right way. Instead of buying special swords how about putting that in savings.

I bought that when I had a job and it was like $6.50 AU/$3.47 US.
Also my only bragging point. I'm very good at getting things cheap.

I will finish buying my year's supply of food next month. Will have enough water in 2 months.
Good food being my reason for living right now, eating out 2x a month at a very cheap place a friend owns ain't a bad thing.
It's almost as cheap as eating at home.

I make about $400 a month, $200 is my rent, the rest goes to food and utilities.
I'm broke right now, just so you know.

My priority right now is noyb.

Truest words I have seen on this board yet.

Thanks, that means alot to me.

jessme

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 09:37:05 pm »

no prob. Just getting to know the hang of things around here..but I love this site, and Ducky, I like your style too.  ;)

gaurdduck

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 01:03:44 am »

no prob. Just getting to know the hang of things around here..but I love this site, and Ducky, I like your style too.  ;)
If you're going to shorten it, GD is preferred. Compliment is noted and appreciated. Thank you.

park it at your parents. Save up some more get an acre of land anywhere for about $2000. Most have water and power to the lot. Save up some more and get solar panels and convert rv to solar. Depending on where you get your lot dig a well add a hand pump. Now you have a house, land, power , and water. ALL PAID FOR.

My parents live in an apartment in the bad part of town in an undisclosed city in OH. Nowhere to park, and if you knew my parents or read my thread on Asperger's Syndrome, you would not have suggested that. My mother is crazy and my stepdud (spelled like that on purpose) hates me. The feeling is mutual. We have had several fights where the point was to kill each other. If my parental unit had land and I did what you said, my next parking spot would be in Mexico. 'Nuff said 'bout that.

I wouldn't need an RV. I'd buy land first. Build a little shack on it to stay in while I work on building a homestead.
My way is way the h*** cheaper assuming land can be found at that price which is large enough to support me and my Granma.
Besides, RV's aren't my style. I hate driving. I'm the kind of guy who prefers to rough it if I can.
If my Granma didn't need me so much, I would have the money to save up and get a place, but she needs me to pay the rent and buy food. I have about $3 saved up for a home of my own. If it was just me, I wouldn't be on here talking to you guys, Because I wouldn't have computer access or waste money on electricity. I'd probably be following my dream of walking from Wilmington NC to Gold Beach OR. Without staying in a room or stopping in a town.

IndianBellRanch

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:35 am »

Truly sounds like you have a GREAT granma!

Best!

IBR

gaurdduck

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 03:51:15 am »

Truly sounds like you have a GREAT granma!

Best!

IBR

She is the best.
I've been trying to get her to post on here, if only to become familiar with technology.
She recently took charge of putting or BOB together. She got the list of stuff to get, off of this site.
And our recent foray into the making of jams and preserves, was aided by some recipes gotten from mutti.
Sometimes she'll get up early and make me Jhonny Cakes for breakfast. Then we have them with my brandy and pear syrup.

jessme

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 04:59:32 am »

Okay, GD it is. My name is simple..I'm jess me. get it?  :laugh:

gaurdduck

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 06:41:49 am »

Okay, GD it is. My name is simple..I'm jess me. get it?  :laugh:

^_^ I do get it!

bull

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 07:07:16 pm »

If someone gives you a bucket of Pooh take it home dump it out ,now you have a bucket.
I live in a small town , where everone know each other . I'm truly blessed , came up from very little
on my own . but i scrounge all the time, nothing should be wasted, dumpster diving, I'm not to proud.
in my little business, i wheel and deal , trade what ever, its a cafe the only one you can take your assault rifle
to lunch ,and i stash things all over.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up