The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: On-line Resources  (Read 38076 times)

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
Re: On-line Resources
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 06:40:39 pm »

The American Revolution - The Avalon Project at Yale Law School.

And there's The American Colonist's Library.

and if you really want to try to understand what they meant when they wrote back then, here is the 1828 Webster's Dictionary. Well, this link is stale. (12/21/07). I'll have to find a new one. Here?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:03:14 pm by RagnarDanneskjold »
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Renee Daphne

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 07:30:49 pm »

I would like to thank you all for posting such great information.  We're going to have an "alternative" schooling fair here in Portland this summer and this is a fantastic resource to offer people.

We're tentatively going to call  it "Are You Suffering From P.P.S.?"  (Paniced Parent Syndrome) which is a play on the school system here = Portland Public Schools.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for the fair.  It's basically designed to help parents who are at their wits end find some means of aiming at a solution to the fact their kid is getting dumber-ed down by the second and they want to do something to save their educational (and literally their physical) lives.

kindest regards
Renee

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 08:05:21 pm »

I would like to thank you all for posting such great information.  We're going to have an "alternative" schooling fair here in Portland this summer and this is a fantastic resource to offer people.

We're tentatively going to call  it "Are You Suffering From P.P.S.?"  (Paniced Parent Syndrome) which is a play on the school system here = Portland Public Schools.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for the fair.  It's basically designed to help parents who are at their wits end find some means of aiming at a solution to the fact their kid is getting dumber-ed down by the second and they want to do something to save their educational (and literally their physical) lives.

kindest regards
Renee

One suggestion: Have copies of John Taylor Gatto's book The Underground History of American Education available for sale. Or they can read it at johntaylorgatto.org
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

NuclearDruid

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 08:29:06 pm »

Renee,

You might want to have some vertical partitions with posters of historical figures that were homeschooled. For a quick (and in no way complete) list to start with, try here:

Hoagies Notable Homeschoolers

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 03:52:44 am »

Interesting serendipity.
I was providing end user support (which is what I get paid less than I should to do) to a woman who wasn't the most savvy IT user. She put her husband on the phone. We got to chatting a bit and he said he restores audio recordings from various media. I asked about vinyl and wire. He said that was interesting that I would mention wire, as most people he talks to don't even know sound was ever recorded on wire. He said he modified a reel tape deck to handle wire at various speeds. He has restored the only live recording of a Woody Guthrie concert which was recorded on wire. So, he gave me his web address. There was a link there to the Woody Guthrie foundation (link was stale, but I googled the foundation).

As Bill Cosby says, I told you that to tell you this.

At the Woody Guthrie site there is a Teacher's Curriculum.

Elementary School Curriculum: Designed by Theresa Kubasak for children in grades two- through four, this curriculum is an excellent tool for teachers to engage their students about social studies, science, language arts, music, art, and math by using the words, art, and life of Woody Guthrie.

High School / College Curriculum: The lesson plans based on Woody Guthrie singles recorded by the Navajo punk band Blackfire were designed by educator Sophi Hronopoulos.

A result of her passion for creating interactive and communicative-based authentic materials for classroom use, the language tasks that accompany “Mean Things Happenin' In This World” and “Indian Corn Song” focus on improving all four macro skills even as they encourage discussion and awareness of critical social issues.

Currently an educator at Obirin University and Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, Japan, Sophi’s lesson were originally conceived for intermediate and advanced university students studying English as a foreign language (EFL); they are equally applicable to language arts, popular culture studies, or in other non-EFL classroom settings.

I haven't actually reviewed it yet, because I just found it and I am at work. But I thought I'd drop it off here.
The Mayor is the Problem
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 02:06:18 pm »

Oracle Education Foundation ThinkQuest Library

The ThinkQuest Library provides innovative learning resources for students of all ages on a wide range of educational topics. Featuring over 6,000 websites, the library is created by students from around the world as part of the competition.
The Mayor is the Problem
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

bravo30

home schooling is a good way to make your kid turn out to be a nut case !!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:00 pm »

home schooling is a good way to make your kid turn out to be a nut case !! ..... at that age children need those valuable social skills learned in a ''school'' environment ........

bravo30 land for life  !

Dare2BFree

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:43 pm »

home schooling is a good way to make your kid turn out to be a nut case !! ..... at that age children need those valuable social skills learned in a ''school'' environment ........

I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic   :huh:
If I had known that these days would have changed my life - I would have dressed better.   ~ me

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.  ~ Judge Gideon J. Tucker

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 07:26:58 pm »

I sincerely hope that you are being sarcastic   huh

No D2B, check out the anti war song thread, Mr.Bravo is on quite the jag at the moment, perhaps if he sobered up....
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 01:55:19 am »

bravo30 land for life  !

You posted this in the online resources thread. What's the resource? Or are you a victim of publick skule and can't comprend wut the topic tidal iss.

Might have to move these last few posts to a thread about socialization (and the pitfalls thereof - for examples of which, see the thread drift on the topic of that 15 year old girl who got roughed up by the cop).
The Mayor is the Problem
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

Junker

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 01:41:09 pm »

100's of downloads, most on bad of current developing system (Iserbyt, etc.), but also good homeschooling...

lots to read, pick and choose...

American Deception - schooling

edit typo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:57:26 am by Junker »

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 10:36:13 am »

It's been over a year since anything was added. Can't go wrong with this one.
This link was posted in another thread. Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the United States

Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the United States

by Arthur J. Stansbury, 1828

Revised Edition by William H. Huff, 1993

Want to know the Constitution? Then get this book!  By 1839 this book was the standard textbook for learning the Constitution in American classrooms.*  Written as a "catechism" in question and answer format, this new larger edition is complete with notes and excerpts from Madison's Notes on the Constitutional Convention.

The Catechism was first used in the early 1800's for school children but should be required reading in every school today. It is an excellent way to re-acquaint yourself with the nature and benefit of strict constitutional government. Those who are discovering their true heritage for the first time have asked for such material to begin their own studies.

"An ignorant people are easily betrayed, and a wicked people can never be ruled by the mild influence of their own laws." - Arthur J. Stansbury

Original Features:

Stansbury's original 1828 text of 100 pages with Introduction and Conclusion, including 332 Questions/Answers on the Constitution with step by step commentary on all of the important features of "a government of law and not of men."

Features of the New Edition:

Quotes from the Founders and the Framers of the Constitution, Texts of the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, The Bill of Rights with the Amendments up to the 26th, the Virginia Resolutions of 1798-99, Selections from Madison's Notes on the Federal Convention, and a reading list recommended by Jefferson and Madison of books said to contain the foundational principles "legitimately developed."

Editor's Notes on critical issues, and more...

Excerpts from Stansbury's Introduction:

"...remember that this precious Constitution, thus wise, thus just, is your birth-right. It has been earned for you by your fathers, who counseled much, labored long, and shed their dearest blood, to win it for their children. To them, it was the fruit of toil and danger ---to you, it is a gift. Do not slight it on that account, but prize it as you ought. It is yours, no human power can deprive you of it but your own folly and wickedness. To undervalue, is one of the surest ways to lose it. Take pains to know what the Constitution is ---the more you study, the higher you will esteem it. The better you understand your own rights, the more likely you will be to preserve and guard them. And, in the last place, my beloved young countrymen, your country's hope, her treasure, and one day to be her pride and her defence; remember that a constitution which gives to the people so much freedom, and entrusts them with so much power, rests for its permanency, on their knowledge and virtue...

The virtuous citizen is the true noble. He who enlightens his understanding--controls his passions--feels for his country's honor--rejoices in her prosperity--steps forth to aid her in the hour of danger--devotes to her advancement the fruits of his mind, and consecrates to her cause, his time, his property, and his noblest powers, such a man is one of God's nobility... We have seen such men among us; we hope to see many more."
[/size]
The Mayor is the Problem
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

Junker

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 05:42:33 pm »

for download at:

PDF at Google Boson 1828

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
FREE audio books!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 09:41:54 am »

LOTS of good classic books here, including many that are part of the Robinson Curriculum.  I'm downloading some for my 14 yo for whom reading is a tedious chore (she's so like her daddy).  Currently reading along to the recording of Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott.

You can also volunteer to record books for others to download.

http://librivox.org

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
Classic Math texts (and more)
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:00 am »

Copied from an email list that I signed up for:

Don Potter has put together a wonderful, WONDERFUL page of old arithmetic
texts that have stood the test of time. Perhaps the gem of the bunch is
the complete version of FIRST LESSONS IN ARITHMETIC, published in 1878.
Here's what Don says about it:

"First-Lessons in Arithmetic, Jones Bros., 1878:
"This math book will provide home school parents and public school teachers
an incomparable tool from the past to help their students master
the fundamentals of arithmetic. This book was handed down to me by my family.
My ancestors used it. It is my privilege to make this precious family
heirloom available to the public. My main purpose in publishing this book
on the web is not just antiquarian, I fully expect that parents and teachers
will download this book and use it to produce a generation of children who
are experts at basic math calculation. Personally, I think it is far better
than Ray's Arithmetic, and vastly superior to the confusing modern consumable
workbook that plagues today's classrooms." 

There are also several more classic texts that can be downloaded on this
page as well.

Truly, these are rare pearls of great value from days gone by. Check it out here:

http://donpotter.net/education_pages/math.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up