The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does My City Allow Me to Raise Chickens?  (Read 23544 times)

byron mc

Does My City Allow Me to Raise Chickens?
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:01:34 pm »

Fellow named Chad Kimball calls the Chicago police, the city clerk, and the legal department to find out if he can raise chickens in the city.

10 minutes of his phone calls in a humorous video of the conflicting information.

http://www.cityfarmer.info/does-my-city-allow-me-to-raise-chickens/

just don't ask the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) from the USDA as they will probably want premise registration...
l

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Does My City Allow Me to Raise Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:11:16 pm »

Why would anyone want to live in or around Chicago in the first place, much less with chickens?

And what is this "allow" crap? If you want chickens, you'd best be where nobody's going to give a darn instead of crawling to ask permission. That's just so sick.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

byron mc

Report: Illicit urban chicken movement growing in US
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:05 am »

Citing unsanctioned henhouses in Denver, Boston, and other cities, Worldwatch’s Ben Block notes that an “underground ‘urban chicken’ movement has swept across the United States in recent years,”

http://features.csmonitor.com/environment/2008/10/08/report-illicit-urban-chicken-movement-growing-in-us/
l

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:36:01 am »

i just had a chance to listen to the whole thing and i must say that it is funny as heck.  Kinda makes me want to call around and do the same thing.
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.

crepemyrtle357

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »

Why would anyone want to live in or around Chicago in the first place, much less with chickens?

And what is this "allow" crap? If you want chickens, you'd best be where nobody's going to give a darn instead of crawling to ask permission. That's just so sick.

Often thought about why people would want to live in cities, but the alternative is for them to move to the rural areas . So I think it is good for them to enjoy living in cities and having a few hens.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." Einstein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:21:09 pm »

Often thought about why people would want to live in cities, but the alternative is for them to move to the rural areas . So I think it is good for them to enjoy living in cities and having a few hens.

Perhaps, back in the time when the cities were not so full of control freaks. Now it seems to be a good way to throw yourself under the bus of the police state. Chicago just seems to be an even nastier place to live that most cities, even without chickens.

But I confess I'm a country girl, and even going to town here - population about 3500 - is too much city for me after only a short time. I couldn't live there.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Lenny

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:10:34 pm »

Dang you Byron.  :angry:

Now you've gone and motivated me to ask my borough whether they allow chickens in the back yard. The town referred me to the code enforcement officer, who started out negative (remarkably like the calls in your post), and quickly shifted to suggesting I write a letter to the council c/o him, and he'll pass it along to them with his opinion. He mentioned that some folks in town still keep rabbits, and read me some stuff from the ordinance on domestic animals.

Then an hour later he spontaneously called me back. He offered several solid arguments why a few laying hens could be fine according to the ordinance, and suggested I incorporate those into his proposed letter and then show up at the next council meeting, "If you're really serious about keeping hens, and you don't want to be subject to some councilman's whim." He suggested pointing out the vagueness of the ordinance, and then advancing the following arguments:

* That any eggs from the proposed hens would be for family consumption and not for sale, consistent with "pets" as opposed to "farm animals,"

* That rabbits and hunting dogs are examples of outside pets clearly permitted by the ordinance,

* That the proposed hens would be penned just like said hunting dogs and rabbits (and hence, additionally, would not be a nuisance),

* That the proposed hens would not include a rooster, and hence wouldn't pose a nuisance from crowing, and

* That the proposed pen is in keeping with accepted practice, and hence poses no health risks or animal cruelty concerns.

So now this sucks every way you look at it. A friendly, helpful government official is always depressing--he's the "velvet glove" in the form of a guy I'd happily buy a beer for. And now if the town says no, I'll feel oppressed; but if it says yes, I'll bear the shame of knowing that I'm acting with permission from the man like a good little slave. But coward that I am, I'm reluctant to wage war on the town by starting a pirate egg-farm just to prove my point. I'm not in a financial position to relocate after things (inevitably) get ugly, and my wife and son know people in this town.

crepemyrtle357

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 06:35:39 pm »

So now this sucks every way you look at it. A friendly, helpful government official is always depressing--he's the "velvet glove" in the form of a guy I'd happily buy a beer for. And now if the town says no, I'll feel oppressed; but if it says yes, I'll bear the shame of knowing that I'm acting with permission from the man like a good little slave. But coward that I am, I'm reluctant to wage war on the town by starting a pirate egg-farm just to prove my point. I'm not in a financial position to relocate after things (inevitably) get ugly, and my wife and son know people in this town.

Sounds to me like he is a human being that puts  his pants on like everyone else.....one leg at a time.

I am not one to see everyone as the same, no matter what their position, only on their merits.

Lenny

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:08:27 pm »

Sounds to me like he is a human being that puts  his pants on like everyone else.....one leg at a time. I am not one to see everyone as the same, no matter what their position, only on their merits.

True, but. He lives on the proceeds of theft. There's a criminal or two in my own (extended) family, so I can testify firsthand that thieves can be decent folks--apart from the fact they happen to be thieves. But that doesn't excuse their thievery.

Ignorance is also a partial excuse. It doesn't justify anything, but it mitigates one's guilt.

And it's even possible that he's a Ron Paul type, working for government in order to fight its abuses from within. That would definitely count for something.

Lenny

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:18:00 pm »

Here is a draft of the letter I'm writing to the town council. Note the obsequiousness throughout; not exactly "agitation" there. But my primary goal is to remove this restriction on my property, and if it can be done with the council's cooperation, fine by me.

byron mc

midwest - Pet Hens and changing local laws
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:12 am »

Now you've gone and motivated me to ask my borough whether they allow chickens in the back yard.

Great news! this Agitator subforum along with the Activist subforum allows us to inspire and tell our tales furthering our freedoms.

my primary goal is to remove this restriction on my property

but if it says yes, I'll bear the shame of knowing that I'm acting with permission from the man like a good little slave.
I view this as then you have won a little freedom back from the over-legislation on our freedoms by city councils of small towns and local municipalities.

You have a goal. If you accomplish your goal it doesn't matter how you got there. Think of it as a councilman was helping you out and actually 'on your side' rather than him being a puppetmaster and using you as a voter to further any agenda he has...

And if you do accomplish your goal give him some public praise for his 'assistance'.
Please let us know what happens after the next city council meeting!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:59:02 am by byron m »
l

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
Pet Hens and changing local laws
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 10:16:14 am »

And if you do accomplish your goal give him some public praise for his 'assistance'.

I agree.  A letter to the editor of your local paper would be great.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:54:31 am by Klapton »
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Lenny

Re: Pet Hens and changing local laws
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:48 pm »

Well, I just got back from the town meeting. They tabled it till next month so they can consult the town's solicitor.

The council has five members, and the mayor was present. Two members were pretty favorable to it, including the council president, who mentioned having friends in other towns with chickens and they're not being a problem for noise or smell. Two other members were pretty stolidly against it; both basically objected that, "rules are rules and chickens aren't pets." One was pretty quiet. The mayor first pointed out that folks keep pigeons, but then said something about not wanting to set a precedent.

The secretary, who had no standing to vote, suggested that rabbits (which I mentioned in my letter) are nothing like chickens because people do keep them in the house. She then stated that the council that passed the ordinance (of which no members were present today) would definitely not have been in favor of chickens. She then got pigs into it somehow, I couldn't quite see how. :skeptical:

And in the end they decided to table it. They asked me courteously if I minded--and what am I supposed to say? I'd rather hear a very likely "no" now, than a possible "yes" later?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:25:06 am by Lenny »

crepemyrtle357

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:19:50 am »

They tabled it till next month so they can consult the town's solicitor.

If the solicitor says no, then just petition to get rid of the council. If he is the final say then why do you need the rest of them?

2ndA

• Constitutional Minarchist
  • Out of the loop
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 09:39:47 am »

Damned if I know the answer to why anyone wants to be ahive dweller.  I've heard all the excuses, from art to job distance to "culture" but none of them are more than just that, excuses.  I live in the woods and can still get to a some of the largest cities in the nation within no more than a few hours by car, but I don't have to put up with the traffic, smog, rules, crime, cops, taxes, nosy bureaucrats/neighbors, etc. 

Still, let them stay there.  The alternative is they all move out here and I for one don't want 'em.
One of the original TMM Gang of Ten(ish), and proud of it

There comes a time in every man's life
When all you can see are the years passing by...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up