The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focused Efforts  (Read 6541 times)

Myrkul

Focused Efforts
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:15:45 am »

In another thread I posted about starting a "Free City". Since I didn't get any responses in there, I thought I might start something where I would get more of the kinda people interested.

Here's my thought:

A significant portion of Taxes and Laws are introduced at the Local level - Not federal or even state, but County and City. Even in the East, there's still plenty of un-inhabited land, and more so out west. If we were to start a new town somewhere - buy the land from a farmer or something - And base it upon the principles of Voluntarism, We would accomplish two goals: 1) gain a measure of freedom immediately  - How many Free-staters pay city taxes and such? 2) (and more importantly) Show that it can be done.

If we pick a state that's already fairly free - like Wyoming - the end result would be a very satisfying level of Freedom, combined with the satisfaction of showing the world that government isn't necessary for people to peaceably co-exist.

Any thoughts?
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
Re: Focused Efforts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:33:26 pm »

Well, "fairly free" is a relative term. Compared to say Chicago or Boston, I think "fairly free" is a fair assessment. This is a good idea, and I think many people are working along similar lines. This board is a great place to meet folks who might share your interest. It's a long and painfully slow process.
   Some recomendations:
   1) Start this thread - Check
   2) Perhaps organize a meet up in your area, or go to one thats happening nearby and start to meet folks face to face. Nothing comes close to that for finding folks who are serious and who you can trust. Multiple meetings will probably be required to establish a good solid relationship.
   3) Don't plan on doing everything here in the open. A lot of it (well MOST of it actually) will have to be done strictly in private with the people involved.
   4) If you get a good start, you may want to have your "tech savvy" in the group start a private forum similar to this one for private communications within the group. It's not about being exclusionary in an elitist sense, it's about private communications that only trusted members have a need to know.
   5) Find the ground
   6) Find a way to pay for it
   7) Find a way for everyone to get there, get settled, and make a living. A lot of this will have to be done by the people themselves, and that will be a stumbling block. Unless you are very wealthy yourself you won't be able to afford to do things in a fast or efficient manner. If you are like most of us, getting yourself there will be a full time occupation, so others will have to have the gumption and desire to do the same.

It's a beautiful idea, and it can work. Step two takes a while by itself. We've been doing it for a couple of years. The visualization you are doing is very important. It is your opening plan. Just be sure and remain flexible. You will have to change it many many times.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:32:57 pm »

Some of us have talked about doing this very thing. So far it has not happened. Take a look at Free State Wyoming: http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php

One of the major concerns was the idea of getting "Wacoed" and I think that's valid. It is easy for the statists to paint a picture via the media of "child abuse" and "gun nuts" and "militia compounds" and all the rest. Then they move in and take it out, one way or another.

If a significant bunch of true freedom folk get concentrated in any area, the local bullies will have their pants in a wad as soon as they begin to count all the revenue they are "losing" from upstarts daring to live free. I suspect there would be a lot of pressure from both feds and state, if not the county on several levels, especially if there were children involved - and I can't imagine there wouldn't be.

There would be significant hurdles involving sanitation, electricity, water, refuse and even land use issues. A very thorough legal plan would have to be in place before the first shovel of dirt turned.

Not saying it can't be done, and there's lots and lots of land available in Wyoming - just for one state - but it would take a lot of money and effort, and no guarantee at all that the "state" wouldn't swat it down.

That said, I'd love to see this work, and would do my level best to help in any way possible.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Myrkul

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:47:53 pm »

Thanks, ML. I'm definitely gonna visit that FSW forum.

The major concern of getting Wacoed can be shot down by inviting in either a few journalists or even a major network, the way Greensburg did, bringing in Discovery.

The way we would basically have to do this is thoroughly plan the work, so we all know what needs to be done, and then all swarm in and get it taken care of. The main "Municipal" problems I see are Water and Trash... It's going to need a lot of research before anything gets done.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Junker

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 07:06:29 pm »

ML has the area. Boston T. Party & friends were headed that way. Good to check his work area.
But ya' prolly knew that.

Wyomiles

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »

Sort of like the Paulville thing ?   At FSW we have had several discussions on and off over the years but never really took off. I think it just needs someone to actually find the land ,make a plan and get er done.

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:05:44 pm »

I screwed up my registration and got banned of BTPs' site. :headscratch:
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 12:19:13 pm »

ML has the area. Boston T. Party & friends were headed that way. Good to check his work area.
But ya' prolly knew that.

Depends on which BTP you are talking about. Boston T. Party - AKA Kenneth Royce, has nothing to do with the new "Boston Tea Party" political organization set up by Tom Knapp and his merry bunch.

Kenneth Royce is an author and the founder of Free State Wyoming. FSW is non political.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:59:12 am by MamaLiberty »
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up