The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 548   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do today to prepare?  (Read 756735 times)

jimp220

Re: What did you do today to prepare?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 10:18:41 am »

Yesterday I bought 100 rds of Winchester white box .45 ACP (185g FMJ) and a Dutch oven.  Re-packed my new Kelty Red Cloud internal frame back pack with all the gear for my new bug out bag.  A little too heavy for my old lard butt so will have to work on lightening it up.  Maybe some helium in my fuel and water bottles.   :laugh:

BTW Cheaper than Dirt has the Alpenflage rain ponchos for $6.  I have some and they seem to be good quality.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 10:40:51 am »

I've been steadily gathering food, supplies and clothing, and a little bit of barter goods. Bought a used kerosene lantern at the Thrift Store. Two pair of good boots. Looking to go to the upcoming gun show in Bozeman early in December.

Shorty Dawkins
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »

Yesterday I bought 100 rds of Winchester white box .45 ACP (185g FMJ) and a Dutch oven.  Re-packed my new Kelty Red Cloud internal frame back pack with all the gear for my new bug out bag.  A little too heavy for my old lard butt so will have to work on lightening it up.  Maybe some helium in my fuel and water bottles.   :laugh:

BTW Cheaper than Dirt has the Alpenflage rain ponchos for $6.  I have some and they seem to be good quality.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy from Cheaper Than Dirt.  Here's why:  There is an AR-15 magazine shortage right now due to panic buying since Obama's election.  CTD jacked up their prices by between 300 and 400% overnight (more in some cases), which is fine in and of itself, free market and all.  But CTD is also showing that MSRP/list price on their AR-15 magazines have also gone up by a similar percentage, which is not true. 

As an example, they show C-Products aluminum 30 round AR-15 magazines as having a list price of $37.46 with their "low price" of $24.97.  If you go to C-Products' website, however, you will see them selling the exact same magazine for $11.50.  CTD is willing to lie, outright, to their customers.  That is hardly a healthy business model.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 08:02:04 pm »

Our 25-pound bag of oat bran came home today.  I did some rummaging around on the Internet.  It appears that it will sit out a year in our pantry without ill effects.  That's all we were needing it to do.  I'm confident we can consume it easily in that amount of time.

We reserved some buckets for one week hence from our local grocery store bakery.  I'm hoping they include some 2 - 3.5 gallon sized in our find. Though 5-gallon do the trick, it would be nice to have some smaller ones that stay closed for 6 months.  If this place doesn't deliver smaller ones, I'll have finding some in the back of my head until they do actually turn up.

Some sticks of wood came home with us today. After a pass through my table saw they will hold opaque visqueen over the holes in my barn-to-be-shop.  I must get off my duff and get the wiring to the shop and plumbing to the irrigation hydrants done soon.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:04:52 pm by slidemansailor »
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 08:38:18 pm »

Shared some time with like minded folks and just took the day off from brush work. Gotta love weekends.   ^_^ mutti
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

securitysix

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 11:07:00 pm »

Cranked out another 20 rounds of .308 today:

Remington brass
Remington # 9 1/2 large rifle primers
43.1 grains of Winchester 748
155 grain Hornady A-Max bullet

Another 20 round box to go, then I might have to see if I can figure out what I did with the Lake City Match brass and work up some more experimental loads with it....

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Lenny

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 08:52:13 am »

This weekend I put up 11 quarts of applesauce, and finally plugged in the chest freezer I got from my parents and put ten Thanksgiving-special turkeys in it.

dogsledder54

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:52 am »

This one may seem trivial, but not to me. I have already stocked up on BBQ sauce and spices, a necessity to liven up meals if one is subsisting on rice dishes, etc., but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a box of 1000 single servings of ketchup from a local restaurant supply store. Now I sleep much better at night.  :laugh:

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »

Joker, that doesn't sound trivial at all to me, especially since you don't want to get food burnout....everyone needs flavor in their life.  As for me, I have quit saving money from my paychecks altogether.  I am having such a hard time finding enough pm's to convert my real saving to so adding to the problems won't solve it.  We've been buying heavy duty shelving and lots of canned good supplies and toiletries.  Even if i have to crap in the woods i'd still like my northern tissue to wipe my butt with....we all need some pampering don't you think.  Just cause it's the end of the world doesn't mean we can't go pampered into the dark ages.  lol
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.

dogsledder54

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 03:20:22 pm »

Here's something that Mrs. J and I did today- we practiced using our hand-held two-way radios. Like any equipment, to be any good when needed, tools such as these must be readily accessible (and kept in the same place at all times), kept in ready mode (in this case charged up), and you must be familiar with their features and know how to use (and/or misuse) them.  ^_^

grits55

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 07:34:05 pm »

I just spent awhile writing a post (I'm one of the REAL newbies who doesn't know anything about doing this) and it disappeared.   If I did would it be posted by now?  Please forgive my ignorance.   I was really excited to tell you all that I'm finally doing things to prepare.

securitysix

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:25 pm »

This one may seem trivial, but not to me. I have already stocked up on BBQ sauce and spices, a necessity to liven up meals if one is subsisting on rice dishes, etc., but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a box of 1000 single servings of ketchup from a local restaurant supply store. Now I sleep much better at night.  :laugh:

"A man can live on packaged protein forever if he has enough spices."

grits55

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 07:56:30 pm »

Okay, I gather I just lost it.  My first post and it was to ask what happened to my lost post.  

I ordered heirloom seeds and a large supply of freeze dried food that last ten years.  My huband bought a 17mm fireball and a 12ngauge and 2000 rounds for both.  He also bought  2000 rounds of black powder ammo , 209 primers, and alot of ammo for his other guns.  I spent hours this weekend reading about survival.  I contacted a company about buying gold.  I looked into paying off my mortgage.  We also made jerkey from some geese he shot.

This is so exciting to me, because I have been trying for months and months to get my husband to see the need and he finally has.  Before, all he would agree to was getting more guns  and  buying a 120 acre piece of property that I have been trying to get him to build us a non electric/non plumbed cabin in the middle of.   He still isn't ready to build it, but at least he is waking up.  

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be in the company of like minded people.  Everyone has been so kind to respond to my questions.  I hope that I can contribute too, someday.  We are just in the beginning stages here.  But it is a START.  

dogsledder54

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 07:58:45 pm »

I just spent awhile writing a post (I'm one of the REAL newbies who doesn't know anything about doing this) and it disappeared.   If I did would it be posted by now?  Please forgive my ignorance.   I was really excited to tell you all that I'm finally doing things to prepare.

I am NOT a newbie, and the same thing happened to me last night. It could have MANY causes. In my case it probably happened because my hard drive is over 99% full.   :rolleyes: I will have to delete some files, because I apparently don't have enough ROOM to use my disc drive to dump  them off on a disk. :laugh:

It is dumb of me, I know...
Welcome !

Canadian Mamma

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 08:01:28 pm »

I bought: How to Grow MORE VEGETABLES...Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine by: John Jeavons

And ordered some heritage seeds from the Ark Institute today.  Gonna use all those cold winter nights to read and plan my garden next spring.

Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.........John Wayne

The trouble with some women is they get all excited about nothing and then marry him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 548   Go Up