The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 548   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do today to prepare?  (Read 757482 times)

merlin419

• 57th Overlanders Brigade
Re: What did you do today to prepare?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:47 am »

OK, over the last 2 weeks I've gathered 10 turkeys that I will start canning later this week, sealed 100 lbs of pinto beans in buckets, ordered a solar battery charger for my handheld radios, added 45 canning jars, 6 dozen extra canning lids, added Carla Emery's "Country Living" to my library, walked over 60 miles (I walk to and from work and everywhere else I need to go), put 45 lbs of hard winter wheat in buckets, started cutting up old t-shirts into squares for a biscuit quilt. Now I remember why the last two weeks seemed to fly by fast.
"Shepard Booke use to tell me," If you can't do something smart then do something right" "Jayne Cobb.

RFC member.

"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the woods with too many guns."  Bob Lee Swagger

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 02:42:41 am »

OK, over the last 2 weeks I've gathered 10 turkeys that I will start canning later this week, sealed 100 lbs of pinto beans in buckets, ordered a solar battery charger for my handheld radios, added 45 canning jars, 6 dozen extra canning lids, added Carla Emery's "Country Living" to my library, walked over 60 miles (I walk to and from work and everywhere else I need to go), put 45 lbs of hard winter wheat in buckets, started cutting up old t-shirts into squares for a biscuit quilt. Now I remember why the last two weeks seemed to fly by fast.

busy, busy, nice to see you back here posting. still working at the 'box store not to be named'?

clarence

je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 04:37:59 am »

I just spent awhile writing a post (I'm one of the REAL newbies who doesn't know anything about doing this) and it disappeared.   If I did would it be posted by now?  Please forgive my ignorance.   I was really excited to tell you all that I'm finally doing things to prepare.
Sometimes, if I'm making a long-ish post, I will do it in NotePad and then Copy & Paste into here.
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Nomads2

• "Not all who wander are lost." JRR Tolkien
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 10:15:13 pm »

As fulltime RVers, we can't carry everything we own with us, but we have a mini-storage locker for the overflow - lol.  Today I went to the locker and pulled out some old books for review, including "Tappan On Survival."  Haven't looked at it in years, but figure it's worth another look-see.  Also pulled out "Indian Doctor" and  "Common Edible and Useful Plants of the West."
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.    — C.S. Lewis

Joel

• Just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns.
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 07:12:42 am »

Got back last night from my first trip to the city in almost a year and a half.  Got my leg refurbished and a new super-duper foot installed which should improve my broken-ground mobility dramatically.  Without the (removeable) camouflaging cover I now look like The Terminator from the calf down; it's not even remotely human looking, but it's got a sort-of anthropomorphic covering that lets you put conventional boots on over it.

While there I loaded up on 200 more pounds of bulk food and a couple of cases of condiments, sauces and other supplies.  Also closed a long-standing deal on a new #2 EBR, which came home with me.  Met some new friends, renewed and strengthened some old friendships. 

It was a good trip, though it reminded me of the long list of reasons I don't go to cities.  Two days in I was anxious to get home, by yesterday I was frantic to even if I had to turn down a turkey dinner.  Fortunately, having no choice, I got the dinner and also got home eventually anyway.
Yet another Freedomista blog: The Ultimate Answer to Kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

Lenny

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 09:17:44 am »

Over the past couple of days I took four chicken carcasses out of the freezer and made my first serious foray into stock-making. Before that I'd done small quantities in a crock pot.

First I loaded the carcasses into the big pressure cooker/canner with a gallon of water and cooked at 15lbs for 30 minutes. This did a pretty good job. The smaller bones were even crumbly when I strained it. It did turn out to be a mistake as far as the meat was concerned: the meat I picked off the bones afterward was tough and dry and even looked "burned" in spots. I saved it to see if any use could be made of it anyway, maybe as chicken salad.

The thoroughly-picked-over bones I packed into the small crock pot and simmered another 24 hours with another quart of water, and got a creditable stock from that as well. The previous six quarts really did come out like jello jigglers--it was pretty amazing.

Finally, last night I skimmed the fat off the top, added skin from the stock pot, and made schmaltz. It was my first attempt at homemade schmaltz, but I think it worked pretty well. At first the water in the fat boiled, making the pot bubble. Then it got to making big bubbles (like a rice pot boiling over), and finally settled down to foaming. By that point the cracklins had started frying and getting a bit burnt, so I strained it twice into a clean pot and put it back on the heat. For another 5-10 minutes it made that popping sound that a fryer does when there's a little water in. When that stopped, I poured it into heated four-ounce canning jars, wipe the rims and sealed them. Another hour or so after that they were cool enough for the fridge.

I'm about to check whether they actually made a good seal. There were seven jars altogether, a bit less than a quart. I'll be putting six of them in the freezer and scrambling my eggs this morning in some of the seventh.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 07:56:54 pm »

Within the last 2 weeks:

1. Bought 2 more cases of Ball canning jars and lids.
2. Ordered a kettle and tray for hot water canning (high acid foods).
3. Bought a new set of tires for the daily-driver Jeep.
4. Did some Jeep maintenance - replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (runs a lot better now).
5. Spread the left over sand from the patio project in the potato patch, to improve the soil.
6. Home maintenance / security - Replaced the old low pressure sodium lamp over the garage
    with a brighter high pressure sodium lamp.
7. Hung black-out curtains over the remaining bedroom windows that didn't have them.
8. Home brewed a batch of Christmas ale - for barter, in case TSHTF soon.  :occasion14:

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Shanks Mare

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 10:35:18 pm »

Today?

Butchered deer....gotta keep in practice! ;)
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 01:53:21 am »

I ordered heirloom seeds and a large supply of freeze dried food that last ten years. 

Grits55,

Today I sat down with my wife to start planning our vegetable garden for next year. We'll probably be
sending in our seed order to Seed Savers soon. I've been trying to get real methodical about it by starting
off with what she wants from the garden, and the working backwards from there to make a planting
schedule, but I think I'm just going to have to wing it this time. She has agreed to can/dry/ or freeze
any of the surplus.

My huband bought a 17mm fireball and a 12ngauge and 2000 rounds for both.  He also bought  2000 rounds of black powder ammo , 209 primers, and alot of ammo for his other guns.  I spent hours this weekend reading about survival.  I contacted a company about buying gold.  I looked into paying off my mortgage.  We also made jerkey from some geese he shot.

That's very cool!  :occasion14:

This is so exciting to me, because I have been trying for months and months to get my husband to see the need and he finally has.  Before, all he would agree to was getting more guns  and  buying a 120 acre piece of property that I have been trying to get him to build us a non electric/non plumbed cabin in the middle of.   He still isn't ready to build it, but at least he is waking up.

My wife has gone from thinking that I have a bunker mentality to thinking we are seeing the
opening scenes of the End of Western Civilization. She wonders how I can be calm about it,
and I explain that I've just been thinking about it longer, and planning, and doing what we
can with what we have. I would say she "gets it" now, but just doesn't have as much sang froid
as I do.

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to be in the company of like minded people.  Everyone has been so kind to respond to my questions.  I hope that I can contribute too, someday.  We are just in the beginning stages here.  But it is a START. 

Doing ANYTHING is the first and hardest step, because it means that you recognize that
there is a problem. Many folks are just more comfortable with denial.

Good Luck,

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Radio Flyer

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 04:25:14 am »

Today...

Bought the, now traditional, extra food at the store with the regular grocery run...

15 cans of assorted veggies, beans, soup, and meat (chili for the kids).

4 "on sale" large bags of beans, ten bean soup, lentils, chick peas, black beans...

Nothing big, just integrating "extra for later" as a standard action.

And prepped 250 .308 cases.

Oh, yea, started my blog...

Canadian Mamma

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:49 am »

Today...

Bought the, now traditional, extra food at the store with the regular grocery run...

4 "on sale" large bags of beans, ten bean soup, lentils, chick peas, black beans...

Congratulations, it's a big step, throwing your self out there possibly laid bare.

Good for you!!!!

I wanted to start one until I was given my own section of an other forum I have been a member of for a few years.  Now I am tooo busy!!!!!!

They decided that I have a refreshingly unique view, that coupled with my family/home  skills will bring in new membership. (Read crazy but darned entertaining and knowledgeable at all things frugal and crafty at the same time.) I am now officially a NICHE.  :laugh:

Cough up your site address so I can support a fellow prepper!
Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.........John Wayne

The trouble with some women is they get all excited about nothing and then marry him.

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2008, 01:27:39 pm »

I picked up 5 3-gallon buckets with lids from the mini-chain grocery nearby. They had held frosting, but were pretty darn clean when they gave them to me.  They said we could repeat the process two weeks hence.  Cool.  Those deals still exist.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Radio Flyer

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2008, 04:57:23 pm »

Today...

Congratulations, it's a big step, throwing your self out there possibly laid bare.

Good for you!!!!

I wanted to start one until I was given my own section of an other forum I have been a member of for a few years.  Now I am tooo busy!!!!!!

They decided that I have a refreshingly unique view, that coupled with my family/home  skills will bring in new membership. (Read crazy but darned entertaining and knowledgeable at all things frugal and crafty at the same time.) I am now officially a NICHE.  :laugh:

Cough up your site address so I can support a fellow prepper!

http://preparednesssubculture.blogspot.com/

throwing your self out there possibly laid bare

I'm not too concerned about that, I don't talk too much about location, and the typical thug has problems reading much more using a computer, I have lots of form 4437s out there so the "government" would have no problem putting me on a list... The government is the last thing I am worried about at this point...

Currently I put up all of my rifle related posts with modifications and will be adding to that as it goes...

Shanks Mare

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2008, 10:17:08 pm »

Moved some scopes around to help "better" situate them.

Radio Flyer, you like bolt .22's, but I didn't see any large caliber bolt rifles on your blog! 

Nice do'in's by the way! ;)

Like them bolt .22's me-self, and it don't take that long to run through a brick or two.
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:19 pm »

Rotated mags and canned goods. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 548   Go Up