The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 548   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do today to prepare?  (Read 1309510 times)

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
Re: What did you do today to prepare?
« Reply #7560 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:50 pm »

Have you guys ever had the pleasure of Cathead and Maters? It's an Appalachian classic.
“If I survive, I will  spend my whole life at the oven door seeing that no one is denied bread  and, so as to give a lesson of charity, especially those who did not  bring flour.” ~Jose Marti

“Write in such a way as  that you can be readily understood by both the young and the old, by men  as well as women, even by children.” ~Ho Chi Minh

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #7561 on: February 24, 2016, 06:35:07 am »

Hit the range yesterday morning to scrounge for brass - found nearly 200 cases of assorted calibers.

Talked with my dad about hooking up the generator to the house wiring.  Starting to draw up plans as well.  I'll have 20 amps to work with if the power goes out so I'll need to consider what the 'essentials' are.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Clip Johnson

« Reply #7562 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:32 am »

Hit the range yesterday morning to scrounge for brass - found nearly 200 cases of assorted calibers.

Talked with my dad about hooking up the generator to the house wiring.  Starting to draw up plans as well.  I'll have 20 amps to work with if the power goes out so I'll need to consider what the 'essentials' are.

Just be sure not to set up a dangerous situation that allows backfeed to the municipal service. During power outages, linemen have been killed by this, as well as house fires are possible. A properly installed transfer switch (manual or automatic) will accomplish this.

With 20 amps to work with, just be sure if you're plugging in a motor or a compressor (e.g., refrigerator) remember to allow for the startup ampacity of the motor, which will be higher than what it requires normally running. Although momentary, one must allow for this or each time the motor turns on it will trip the power off if the circuit is already maxed out.

Most generators come with 2-20 amp 120v outlets, and 1-30amp 240v.

Then again, you probably know all that!

If that's the case, my apologies. It's just that I would rather be safe than sorry (or is it, be sorry than safe? I can never remember!?)  :headscratch: :thrbiggrin:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:57:23 am by MT MoneyClip-Johnson »

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #7563 on: February 24, 2016, 10:57:46 am »

My Weihrauch HW77K arrived yesterday.  To say "I'm pleased" would be an understatement.

My first-day impressions here: bullseye

I called every one of these shots... that is to say, the rifle delivered them exactly where I put them...
and their documentation as well as reviews of it say to give it 100 rounds before "it settles down". 

This will be one heckuva training tool.

I WILL be improving my offhand rifle shooting.

I haven't shot 10-meter air rifles for, wow, a decade.  I am excited about the possibilities.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #7564 on: February 24, 2016, 11:45:41 am »

My Weihrauch HW77K arrived yesterday.  To say "I'm pleased" would be an understatement.

Mighty fine offhand shooting already. And room for improvement. Enjoy!
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #7565 on: February 24, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

Mighty fine offhand shooting already. And room for improvement. Enjoy!

Thank you.  I truly appreciate the compliment.

.. and I definitely intend to improve the parts of the shooter that resides between my ears... aka headspace.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #7566 on: February 25, 2016, 05:45:06 am »

Just be sure not to set up a dangerous situation that allows backfeed to the municipal service. During power outages, linemen have been killed by this, as well as house fires are possible. A properly installed transfer switch (manual or automatic) will accomplish this.

With 20 amps to work with, just be sure if you're plugging in a motor or a compressor (e.g., refrigerator) remember to allow for the startup ampacity of the motor, which will be higher than what it requires normally running. Although momentary, one must allow for this or each time the motor turns on it will trip the power off if the circuit is already maxed out.

Most generators come with 2-20 amp 120v outlets, and 1-30amp 240v.

Then again, you probably know all that!

If that's the case, my apologies. It's just that I would rather be safe than sorry (or is it, be sorry than safe? I can never remember!?)  :headscratch: :thrbiggrin:

Yep!  My dad and I talked about the transfer switch.  My folks are planning a trip out to see us soon and we'll be installing it then.  He spent years running an HVAC business which included plenty of electrician work as well. 

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
« Reply #7567 on: March 15, 2016, 07:08:50 pm »

I'm committing to a new exercise regimen to build muscle, lose weight, gain more speed and stamina, and help with my sleep patterns.

I'm eating more vegetables and trying to quit smoking.

I'm creating my own style of Martial Arts based on my 21 years of Manchurian Wushu and Kickboxing practice, as well as my 7 years of Kendo and Iaido practice*, with some moves from Judo and my more recent love of spears and blowguns.

:ph34r: << Ninja lol

*Also getting a new sword because it's cheaper than replacing the tsuka, maki ito, and ray skin on my Katana. I wore the darned thing out. I plan to get the Banshee by Hanwei as a cutting sword, and a pair of foam-covered boken for training. I might also make a weighted boken for weight training.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:21:18 pm by Baked at 420 »
“If I survive, I will  spend my whole life at the oven door seeing that no one is denied bread  and, so as to give a lesson of charity, especially those who did not  bring flour.” ~Jose Marti

“Write in such a way as  that you can be readily understood by both the young and the old, by men  as well as women, even by children.” ~Ho Chi Minh

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #7568 on: March 16, 2016, 07:00:00 am »

*Also getting a new sword because it's cheaper than replacing the tsuka, maki ito, and ray skin on my Katana. I wore the darned thing out. I plan to get the Banshee by Hanwei as a cutting sword, and a pair of foam-covered boken for training. I might also make a weighted boken for weight training.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CISH2126/CAS-Hanwei-SH2126-Banshee-Cutting-Sword-21-inch-Carbon-Steel-Blade-Leather-Wrap-Handle

$185

Bred in the jungles of Asia, our Banshee sword has its origins in the Thai “Krabi” and its close cousin, the Burmese “Dah.” Extremely strong and very quick, the Banshee is a cutting sword first and last, with a slightly weight-forward balance for slashing through jungle growth with ease. The high-carbon blade is heat treated for optimum shock absorption and edge retention, and the spiral-wrapped black leather grip provides excellent handling qualities. The sword comes equipped with a high-retention locking mechanism for safety. The wooden scabbard is finished in matte black, with side rings designed to allow a number of carrying options.

Have fun slashing through all that jungle growth. :)
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
« Reply #7569 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:59 am »

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/CISH2126/CAS-Hanwei-SH2126-Banshee-Cutting-Sword-21-inch-Carbon-Steel-Blade-Leather-Wrap-Handle

$185

Bred in the jungles of Asia, our Banshee sword has its origins in the Thai “Krabi” and its close cousin, the Burmese “Dah.” Extremely strong and very quick, the Banshee is a cutting sword first and last, with a slightly weight-forward balance for slashing through jungle growth with ease. The high-carbon blade is heat treated for optimum shock absorption and edge retention, and the spiral-wrapped black leather grip provides excellent handling qualities. The sword comes equipped with a high-retention locking mechanism for safety. The wooden scabbard is finished in matte black, with side rings designed to allow a number of carrying options.

Have fun slashing through all that jungle growth. :)

I'll probably be cutting mostly bamboo, cardboard tubes, and rolled mats.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #7570 on: March 17, 2016, 09:14:14 pm »

Rebar for pell work.  a 20$ junk sword for forms.  the good swords only get used every 3 months or so for cutting practise.  Sore as hell for a month until I got used to it.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Baked at 420

• Resident AntiFa
« Reply #7571 on: March 19, 2016, 10:52:48 am »

Been teaching my friends the broadsword basics. Our cutting dummy Bob is looking pretty bad.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7572 on: March 19, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »

Handed out my cards at the gun show this afternoon, scheduled two classes for concealed carry and started a list for a full self defense class later this spring. Possible classes to be scheduled for some folks in South Dakota. I may even advertise this year. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #7573 on: March 20, 2016, 07:00:30 am »

Handed out my cards at the gun show this afternoon, scheduled two classes for concealed carry and started a list for a full self defense class later this spring. Possible classes to be scheduled for some folks in South Dakota. I may even advertise this year. :)

Impressive!  Teach'em all ML, teach'em all.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7574 on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:39 am »

Impressive!  Teach'em all ML, teach'em all.

Thanks! I had not given a class all last year and thought I was done with it, but the enthusiasm I encountered at the gun show was amazing. So, I held my nose and renewed both my NRA membership and instructor's credentials. And now I learn that I have to go back to "school" some because I was inactive for the last year or so. That's ok. I'm always ready to learn.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 548   Go Up