The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a decent quality 4-man 4 season tent  (Read 2611 times)

teotwawki

Suggestions for a decent quality 4-man 4 season tent
« on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:10 pm »

I have plenty of 2 man tents for all seasons, now that I have a family I need to worry about having portable shelter for 4.  I was looking at Montana Canvas products but they seem like they'd need some serious pipe to hold up. 

Can anyone suggest a vendor that makes high quality 4 season tents?  Just starting my search.  Oh and it should be available in OD or camo not just traffic yellow and red. :)

Wyomiles

Re: Suggestions for a decent quality 4-man 4 season tent
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:52:43 pm »

Teotwawki, I have a TP, which is a little more work, but my brother has a tent that sets up pretty quick . I think it is called a wedge tent ? Maybe Dull Hawk, or others, can comment ? But here is one supplier, there are many others.

http://www.pantherprimitives.com/about.html

Tom P.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:55:06 pm »

How much cheddar you willing to drop?

If you've got the cash a Kifaru tipi is hands down bar none the best ultralight, 4 season, wood heated, 2002 Backpacker Mag. editors choice award winning, tent made in the US. Ive slept in several, put up and taken down a few models, and heated that puppy up sauna hot.

Not quite as pimpin' coo' but Titanium Goat makes their own ultralight single pole tipi, also wood heatable, for significantly less... but Ive never used one.

Heavier, and for all I know impossible to get in the US (never had the money to really look into getting one, I used one while in europe) but Tentipi makes several tents of INCREDIBLE quality out of both lightweight nylon and a heavier canvas. The canvas version is the one I have slept in. The material is breathable, unlike silnylon used by Kifaru and TiGoat, and is easily made nearly as fireproof as nomex with a borax solution. - - definatly my choice if I were going to have small children sleeping in the tent with me, and I had a nice big SUV mule to haul it ;)

Tom P.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 12:16:07 am »

That might fit your bug out plans a bit better than a Tipi.........unless you got a couple of old Squaws to drag it around for you. ^_^

I know your just being cute in that oh so precocious way of yours, but a Kifaru 4 man tipi weighs 5.5lbs tent only. The 12 man version is only 11lbs, including the pole and stakes. The stove size appropriate for the 4 man is about 4lbs and the 12 man stove is about 7lbs.

Kifaru makes tipis sized for 2 to 16 people.

NOT cheap, but if you've got the money they ARE worth it.

Tom P.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 12:54:37 am »

Damn... untwist the knickers. I was just playing with ya. I'll refrain from doing that from now on.

Tom P.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 01:08:27 am »

Well, this has been fun.

I just presented the tent as an option. Yes, it is expensive. Yes, hot fires can be dangerous. Its still a very fine tent. There are lots of other very fine tents out there.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 01:36:33 am »

Sears and roebuck cabin tent is what I grew up with- car camping type tent.  It was good for 20 years.  In the desert we threw a tarp over the top and it stayed tolerable.  Up in the snow we added either poles or pine boughs and stayed tolerable (poles for snow on the roof, pine boughs for side insulation). With wind we threw a couple of extra line over top and staked it down, and it kept the rain off as well (we did have to re-waterproof it a couple of times tho')

The rest of the time we used several tents.  Which might be the better idea if the kids are old enough, having them carry their own tent and sleeping bag with a couple of goodies would keep them in the mix.  The redundancy of several tents would be good too.

Another alternative could be "shelter halves" everyone carries their portion of the tent.  3 shelter halves makes a small but workable 3-4 person tent (if 1 or 2 are kids).  They would probably be cheap if they are still around. 
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Dull'Hawk

• DullHawk.com
    • dullhawk.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 09:24:55 am »

My only experience with tents is my tipi, which is wonderful for living in, but would be a terrible bug-out option.  You're a bit conspicuous with those poles on top of the car.  Other than that I do have a "tent" that has served well, but it too small for more than one person, although maybe you could adapt it for your purposes.  It was a canvas drop cloth that I painted with linseed oil.  Ugly, but it works.  You can just set it up however the situation demands, with poles found on the spot, or tied to overhead branches, or...?  Or just teach the wife and kids to build their own shelter when you get where you're going.  I'm sure they would like that.  :rolleyes:  As far as "4 season"; that just depends on how you set up.

Kent
Kent For Liberty

Firefly militia: millions strong, one at a time.

Declaration of Liberation: I hereby withdraw any and all consent (if, indeed, consent was ever given) to be subject to the whims of the murderous, criminal collective known as "government".
Pages: [1]   Go Up