The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Much more regulation coming  (Read 1610 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Individual Sovereign/ Personal responsibility
    • The Price of Liberty
Much more regulation coming
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:39:11 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090108/pl_nm/us_usa_obama_regulatory_1
Obama to name law professor as regulatory czar: report
 WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The incoming administration of President-elect Barack Obama will name Cass Sunstein, a Harvard Law School professor who pioneered efforts to design regulation around the ways people behave, as regulatory czar, the Wall Street Journal reported.
A report on WSJ.com said Sunstein would head the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, overseeing "regulations throughout the government, from the Environmental Protection Agency to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration."
The Journal cited an unidentified Obama transition official for the report.
"Obama aides have said the job will be crucial as the new administration overhauls financial-services regulations, attempts to pass universal health care and tries to forge a new approach to controlling emissions of greenhouse gases," according to the report posted late on Wednesday.
It said that under President George W. Bush, the office has been dominated by officials "with a strong deregulatory bent."  (emphasis mine.... Oh sure!!)
I own my life and body. I am the only one responsible for that life and my safety. I take full responsibility for all of my thoughts, choices and actions. I live with the consequences, not seeking others to blame or control to prevent them.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Much more regulation coming
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:04:31 am »

Oy flipping vey.

Sunstein is also one of the two creators and promoters of that Orwellian-Frankensteinian conception, "libertarian paternalism."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-thalerandsunstein2apr02,0,3730262.story

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:28:59 pm »

Indeed, which is what caught my eye.

Can we just skip '09 - 12?

{looking hard for a probability broach...}
I own my life and body. I am the only one responsible for that life and my safety. I take full responsibility for all of my thoughts, choices and actions. I live with the consequences, not seeking others to blame or control to prevent them.

David

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:34:41 pm »

what do you think will change in 2012?

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:36:01 pm »

Oy flipping vey.

Sunstein is also one of the two creators and promoters of that Orwellian-Frankensteinian conception, "libertarian paternalism."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-thalerandsunstein2apr02,0,3730262.story

Claire

Wow, I was okay with the 'choice architecture' premise, but his examples of "real world" application are appallingly *not* that.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

dogsledder54

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:46:45 pm »

And here I thought that the government couldn't get any worse than under Geo W Bush.  ;-)

David

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:03:17 pm »

PJ,
when talking government, it'll always get worse,

NuclearDruid

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:09 pm »

The calculated orbits of 1998 HE3, 2007 PA8, 2005 GO21, and Toutatis which have their closest approach in 2012. I'd suspect it's unlikely that the current calculations take into account the unanticipated and extended solar minimum that the Sun is currently experiencing.
Solar wind blows at 50-year low

/OT

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:52:59 pm »

Well, we have to look out of the bunker at some point, don't we? LOL And I can't hold my breath any longer. :)

bobcat

• Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:08 am »

lookin' more like soylent green everyday. :puke:

we're all just a bunch of rubes, trailer trash, rednecks and toothless idjits, so we need the goobermint to he'p us'ns. 

Or didn't you all hear?

Amerikans voted for it.  They're gonna get it.  The first ones to whine about it will be the ones that voted for this tripe. :sheep:

Who's gonna save us from this lunacy?  Hint:MBR may be req'd, that is if you have the chutzpah to keep it.
Bobcat

"Those who would sacrifice Liberty for security, deserve neither Liberty or security."  -Benjamin Franklin

NuclearDruid

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:05 am »

SF author Ben Bova opines on new administration.

Ben Bova: ‘Foxes’ in government, war on drugs

There’s an old adage about the foolishness of asking a fox to guard the henhouse. Yet in many areas of public policy, that’s exactly what we’ve done. The politicians who make decisions about how our government runs are not doing the job we want them to do.

Like foxes at the henhouse, they’re doing what’s best for themselves, not for us.

For example, President Barack Obama’s nominees to several high-level administration posts have been found to be not quite on the straight and narrow.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover
Pages: [1]   Go Up