The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBay To Disallow Checks and Money Orders In US  (Read 10084 times)

Myrkul

Re: eBay To Disallow Checks and Money Orders In US
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 07:02:53 am »

I Saw an eBay Gift card at the store yesterday... presumably one could use that instead of checks or money orders.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Myrkul

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 12:12:09 am »

Possibly the pre-paid charge cards. But Not a gift card. Gift cards are essentially just cash turned into location-specific money, Like buying disney dollars.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein
"If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner, and wink your eye at some homely girl." -H. L. Menken

Rick N

• Anger is a Gift
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2008, 10:15:21 pm »

But you can still use them on eBay to preserve your anonymity, right?
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

My public PGP key

byron mc

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:33 am »

But you can still use them on eBay to preserve your anonymity, right?
Rick N  if you read the original post on this thread I made there is a link from the Ebay, Inc. website from their August update. After October 20 you can NOT use money orders or checks as payment methods on Ebay.
That is their company policy. They are pushing people to use their Paypal accounts...
l

Rick N

• Anger is a Gift
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 04:52:38 pm »

I was referring to the eBay gift cards.
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (Japanese Navy)

My public PGP key

byron mc

EBay accepts GCash
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:28 am »

In the US Ebay would like people to use their Ebay-owned Paypal Mobile and Paypal accounts.
In the Phillipines though Ebay Phillipines will accept Gcash as a form of payment.

http://www.g-cash.com.ph/sectionpagearticleex.aspx?secid=25&sgid=56&id=21
l

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 12:08:43 pm »

BTW, there is now an eBay Resistance listserv on Yahoo:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/eBayPayPal-Resistance/

The purpose is to try either to find a way to get eBay to try to stop forcing people into PayPal or to find/create more friendly alternatives to eBay. I have no idea yet how useful the new group will be; there seems to be a bit too much of "let's sic the FTC on eBay" attitude for my taste. But there are also links to other promising auction sites, etc. Just thought some might want to know about it.

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up