The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997)  (Read 2882 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997)
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:38:23 pm »

We watched this Russell Crowe opus again last night and this is still a very gritty and tell it like it is film on how the JBT's really act....

1950's Los Angeles is the seedy backdrop for this intricate noir-ish tale of police corruption and Hollywood sleaze.

Three very different cops are all after the truth, each in their own style: Ed Exley, the golden boy of the police force, willing to do almost anything to get ahead, except sell out; Bud White, ready to break the rules to seek justice, but barely able to keep his raging violence under control; and Jack Vincennes, always looking for celebrity and a quick buck until his conscience drives him to join Exley and White down the one-way path to find the truth behind the dark world of L.A. crime.

Written by Greg Bole {bole@life.bio.sunysb.edu}

S6: It's all here folks, Dirty Cops making behind the scenes deals and no better than the criminals they go after, Pre Miranda Law Enfiorcement involving B&E, Police Abuse, and Vice Cops who exemplify the word Vice....

Ranks up there with AMERICAN GANGSTER and THE BAD LIEUTENANT for Dirty Cop Films...
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Kregener

Re: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 01:01:41 pm »

Crowe's best work to date.

IMHO.

Excellent film all around.
"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge.

Don't push me, and I won't push you."

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 02:18:08 pm »

I agree. Great movie. I especially liked Kevin Spacey as the cop who was such a preening media whore he would even set up custom busts for Danny DeVito's sleazy Hush Hush magazine.

I just saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago & was very impressed.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:56:11 pm »

James Cromwell is great as the cool and calculating Police Captain who would beat a cripple to get one step ahead of the game...

Loved the scene where Exley makes an ass out of himself when he goes to confront Johnny Stompanato and his Chickie he thinks is done up like Lana Tuner and finds out the hard way it is LANA TURNER !!! :laugh:

And the scene where White and Exley go after the Closeted D.A. in his office and literally beat a confession out of him is priceless !!!

What other movie would be daring to show Cops planting guns and other evidence upon "criminals" ?

Plus Kim Basinger proves she can actually act  :mellow:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:59:04 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:02 pm »

And the scene where White and Exley go after the Closeted D.A. in his office and literally beat a confession out of him is priceless !!!

Oh man I love that scene.  And then Exley says, after White hangs the D.A. out the window by his ankles, "So, is that how you ran the good-cop bad-cop routine?"

Oh so bored on a Sunday night that I'm digging in the crypt for something interesting. Lord help me...
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

Kregener

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 04:58:46 pm »

I liked the whole movie, but the scene where Exely is questioning the 'negroes' and hits on the fact that they have a girl captive and youo see Bud White gripping the back of the chair until...

Crowe's best work ever.
"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. This job goes south, there well may not be another. So here is us, on the raggedy edge.

Don't push me, and I won't push you."

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »

Another great scene is when Bud White (Crowe) goes to Lynn's Home and confronts one of her "guests"

Lynn's client: [one of Lynn's clients refuses to leave; Bud White flashes his badge]
Bud White: LAPD, s**tbird. Get the f**k outta here or I'll call your wife to come get you!
Bud White: [the client gathers up his clothes, and walks toward the open front door]
Lynn's client: Officer...
Bud White: Councilman...

Or....

Johnny Stompanato: You want an autograph? Write to MGM.
Ed Exley: Since when do two-bit hoods and hookers give out autographs?
Johnny Stompanato: What'd you say to me?
Ed Exley: LAPD. Sit down.
Lana Turner: Who in the hell do you think you are?
Jack Vincennes: Ed...
Ed Exley: Take a walk, honey, before I haul your ass downtown.
Johnny Stompanato: You are making a large mistake.
Lana Turner: Get away from our table!
Ed Exley: Shut up! A hooker cut to look like Lana Turner is still a hooker.
Johnny Stompanato: Hey!
Ed Exley: She just looks like Lana Turner.
Jack Vincennes: She *is* Lana Turner.
Ed Exley: [stunned] What?
Jack Vincennes: She *is* Lana Turner.
[Lana throws a drink in Ed's face]

Pages: [1]   Go Up