The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand Tools.  (Read 21220 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Re: Hand Tools.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:07:42 pm »

Lee Valley has quality - at least for woodworking.

Also, if someones anniversary was coming up they might like this.

Did you catch that, ND?  :D

I Might just PM the guy before he messes up ....  :ph34r:   :rolleyes:

ND never messes up - if it is in the budget I order it and say thank you very much when I open it! Actually - as silly as it sounds, the greatest aniversary gift I could ever have is another year with him. (and the tool!)

----Okay ---insert "oh. how sweet"--------- :wub:

mutti

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 03:29:54 am »

OK folk,I'm a quality first type person.Top line/Snap-on/Mac ect.I'd prefer ta buy it once and be done with it.Most folk, including myself can't afford the above.So I use craftsmen tools/great warranty and a ton of places ta take them for replacement.I also have redundacy.I have 3of every socket/deep/shallow/6pt/12pt ect.Wrenches/same.Just threw the topic out there ta get folk ta check. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 09:43:38 am »

OK folk,I'm a quality first type person.Top line/Snap-on/Mac ect.I'd prefer ta buy it once and be done with it.Most folk, including myself can't afford the above.So I use craftsmen tools/great warranty and a ton of places ta take them for replacement.I also have redundacy.I have 3of every socket/deep/shallow/6pt/12pt ect.Wrenches/same.Just threw the topic out there ta get folk ta check. Ought 7.

I'm with you on this Ought 7.

I don't have the redundancy [I only have two and not of ALL of my tools] that you are talking about and with the income situation being what it is .... I probably won't have the "extra" to get them.
Food stocks being higher on the list and all that ....
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Who...me?

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »

If you are looking to expand your tool on the cheap i suggest estate auctions. Sometimes you can get real deals. I got my snap-on 3/8 ratchet set and metric wrenches in a "bulk" box of tools for 5 bucks. Both of the ratchets were messed up but a quick stop at a snap-on truck parked at a local garage and he fixed them for nothing.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

jimp220

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 10:50:02 pm »

Good idea, I have found very high quality hand tools at yard sales, flea markets and swap meets.  Some times it's just a matter of putting a new handle on and you have a virtually new, high quality tool at a fraction of the price.

+1 on Craftsman tools.  Maybe not on par with Snap-on or Proto, but good quality/price.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 09:36:08 am »

If you are looking to expand your tool on the cheap i suggest estate auctions. Sometimes you can get real deals. I got my snap-on 3/8 ratchet set and metric wrenches in a "bulk" box of tools for 5 bucks. Both of the ratchets were messed up but a quick stop at a snap-on truck parked at a local garage and he fixed them for nothing.

I'm in a rural [small town] situation.  The closest "estate sales" are mucho miles away.
We do have yard sales, garage sales and pawn shops.

Good idea, I have found very high quality hand tools at yard sales, flea markets and swap meets.  Some times it's just a matter of putting a new handle on and you have a virtually new, high quality tool at a fraction of the price.

+1 on Craftsman tools.  Maybe not on par with Snap-on or Proto, but good quality/price.

AND that really neat lifetime free replacement guarantee.  As does Snap-on, Proto, et cetera, et al.
Although .... that would require that the manufacturer also survives the crash and is still honoring the guarantee. 
Still excellent quality for the price.
Especially if you can pick them up at the pawn shop for $1 each ....
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Who...me?

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 12:12:38 pm »

Gooch,

What does MZB stand for?

D!

Yep what Thunder said ....

Mutant Zombie Biker's of Mutant Zombie Biker Hordes fame.
The generic large group of "badguys" coming to clean out Your stockpile and have their way with .... never mind it gets ugly real quick.  :ph34r:

Although I suppose an apology to the mutants and the zombies and the bikers is in order for running them all together.  :rolleyes:
As If I cared ....

I have lost track of who originated the term .... It is from before my time.
Anybody remember ?
Was it JWR ?  [J.W.Rawles of Survival blog fame]
This is what our own Wiki says .... Wiki

Anybody ?

gooch

I don't know if he coined the phrase but the first time I saw it used was in the story "Lights Out" by Halfast , which can be found here; http://www.survivalmonkey.com/Lights%20Out.htm

Its  good read if you haven't done so check it out. One warning, if you download the pdf files separately the last one is out of order and you will have to jump around. If you do the complete story its ok.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Texasbound

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »

Also, I realize that it is now past, but at Christmas time stores like Sears sell some fairly decent offbrand tool sets that are really inexpensive.  I personally like a good quality tool, but I bought each of my boys a tool set from Sears last Christmas and it was like 117 pieces.  Everything in it, sockets, allen wrenches, extensions, endwrenches, etc. were all actually pretty decent in quality.  The only piece that was crap was the ratchet, and I figure they can always replace that.  The sets were only about $35.  At that price, I wish I had bought one more set to have for spares for myself.  Also with so many places going out of business... there will be some deals to be had for those with a little cash set aside.

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »

Sadly, Craftsman tools are no longer high quality. Old ones are. Unfortunately they gave that up a few years ago and chose to ride on their reputation instead of quality.

Used is the best way to go now. A lot of "buy quality" hobbyists are selling their tools to buy groceries. Many tradesmen are selling professional tools as the work in construction has disappeared. This particular pendulum will swing back. Tools will have long-term value if you pick the right ones.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 07:41:42 am »

Sadly, Craftsman tools are no longer high quality. Old ones are. ...
Lowes has a brand called Kobalt.  They say that they have "the old Craftsman warranty." 
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 08:33:46 am »

There are nice woodworking tools, both electric and hand-operated, at http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/

I have never purchased from them. Just encountered them in my travels yesterday.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »

Sadly, Craftsman tools are no longer high quality. Old ones are. ...
Lowes has a brand called Kobalt.  They say that they have "the old Craftsman warranty." 

Home Depot has "Husky" tools with a no nonsense warranty also,I've had my wrench set for years and never even scratched one. Ought 7.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 02:56:52 pm »

I don't own any Kobalt or Husky stuff, but I have looked it over and wouldn't be afraid of it. It should withstand all but the most "professional" abuse.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 01:16:25 am »

How many of us have slipped a 4' piece of pipe over our ratchet to loosen a reluctant nut? .. or "tapped" the ratchet with a hammer (or 10-pound sledge)?

Used to be Sears would not only replace it in those cases where your cheater-bar was a bit too long, the dang wrenches would just take it. Now the silly little things BREAK with that "modest level of abuse". ;)
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 02:34:28 am »

BTDT.I usta tear cars apart/a very LONG time ago.Craftsmen was the standard choice,we used snap-on/mac/matco for the exotic stuff.Thats when sears actually honored there "promise". I actually had ta trade in a "full" rack of Torx bits because a T-35 failed/1 outta 10 bits failed and I hadda send the whole set ta the "store" ta replace 1.Bravo Sierra comes ta mind. Ought 7.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up