The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand Tools.  (Read 22962 times)

Wheatfields

Re: Hand Tools.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 03:17:39 am »

A long-handled Craftsman ratchet failed while applying muscle without a cheater.  Went to the store for a replacement, then had to argue with the clerk.  He claimed they didn't replace them if I used a cheater, and didn't believe me that it failed without one.  That's 10 minutes of my life that won't be coming back.  It seems whoever makes the Craftsman ratchets has forgotten about "heat treating".

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:08 am »

A long-handled Craftsman ratchet failed while applying muscle without a cheater.  Went to the store for a replacement, then had to argue with the clerk.  He claimed they didn't replace them if I used a cheater, and didn't believe me that it failed without one.  That's 10 minutes of my life that won't be coming back.  It seems whoever makes the Craftsman ratchets has forgotten about "heat treating".

AND .... it seems that more and more retail "clerks" have absolutely NO experience with the tools they sell and blindly take the "company line" as a shield.
IMO It comes from the "we vs them" mindset.  "Them, They, the public are ALL out to cheat the Company so keep your eyes open ...."

*sigh*  What has happened to "the customer is King ?" 
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Who...me?

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:01 am »

Large corporations. When customers really mattered or "the customer is always right" started to decline when the loss of a single customer ceased to matter. Now managers don't give a crack if you get pissed and leave. They still get their bonus because enough other people still come.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

da gooch

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 12:08:27 pm »

Large corporations. When customers really mattered or "the customer is always right" started to decline when the loss of a single customer ceased to matter. Now managers don't give a crack if you get pissed and leave. They still get their bonus because enough other people still come.

Yep
Agreed.  I could not find a "rhetorical question" widget so .... the *sigh* was sort of intended to .... {insert imagination here ....}

III

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »

So...  Does the Craftsman replacement guarantee still exist or not?
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 08:21:32 pm »

As far as I know it is still in effect, and you'll probably use it. Last time I had a warrantied craftsman socket replaced however I was dismayed to find that it was no longer done on the spot. They send the tool back to a warranty center, and they mail you the tool in a week to ten days. They usually get it there a little quicker than that, but that was what they promised, and they lived up to it. Some things to be aware of, the warranty only applies to certain craftsman tools, mainly hand tools, not power tools. Also hand tools sold by sears without the craftsman name are not warrantied at all, including hand tools.
   If you use your tools a lot, think about going with KD, Easco, or one of the other tool lines usually sold at auto parts retailers. They carry a similar lifetime guarantee, and are usually replaced on the spot if the store has the item in stock. If you can afford it of course Mac, Snap-on, Matco, and the like are professional tools that are of the highest quality. They are sold by distributers working out of the trucks you see at most big garages once a week or so.  Their tools are repaired or replaced on the spot if you manage to break one. The tool truck drivers will stop by your place of business if you are a regular customer once a week, otherwise you can just find out when they are near by to do your shopping then, and get the driver's cell phone number to arrange to meet them if you have an emergency breakage that needs to be replaced right away. A lot of what you are paying for with those guys is the service (which is top notch), so it probably doesn't make much sense for the average do it your selfer unless you need a special tool that is stronger than normal.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 08:30:26 pm »

When I was a kid, I broke a Craftsman 1/2 inch ratchet pulling the transmission out of my 59 Beetle.  They replaced it on the spot.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:40 pm »

Yeah, back in the day they would do that. (When I had a '64 Microbus  :mellow:)
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

da gooch

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 10:14:47 am »

I have not tried to replace any Craftsman tools in nearly 10 years so I cannot answer from personal experience BUT I Think the "on the spot" replacement days are gone.

*sigh*

III

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »

The last time I had ta replace a socket/torx bit,I was told I had ta bring in the entire set.They don't replace just "1".It was longer ago than Goochs' time line. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

ShortyDawkins

• Liberty Vanguard 2011
  • Legends are made here.
    • Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 03:03:25 pm »

With a hammer, mallet, ax, hatchet, drawknife, several chisels, handsaw, various bits (for a bit and brace) and a couple of planes, along with a few barn nails and hinges, I could build a nice cabin.

With a shovel, hoe, rake and plenty of back-breaking work, I could plant a garden.

With rifles, for hunting, some fishing line, hooks and a pole I could supply meat and fish for the table.

You don't need power tools to survive. They sure make life easier, but you don't NEED them for survival.

Shorty Dawkins
Shorty Dawkins Freedom Outlaw
http://www.shortydawkins.weebly.com

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 02:30:05 am »

With a hammer, mallet, ax, hatchet, drawknife, several chisels, handsaw, various bits (for a bit and brace) and a couple of planes, along with a few barn nails and hinges, I could build a nice cabin.

With a shovel, hoe, rake and plenty of back-breaking work, I could plant a garden.

With rifles, for hunting, some fishing line, hooks and a pole I could supply meat and fish for the table.

You don't need power tools to survive. They sure make life easier, but you don't NEED them for survival.

Shorty Dawkins

Indeed.  And get some exercise to boot. 

Come to think of it, I've got a tackle box full of fishing lures, some bare hooks, and a couple of rod & reel combos, though the line on them is ancient (last used sometime before June of 1996).  The problem with monofilament fishing line, as I see it, is keeping it from rotting, which will happen over time.  If you fish enough, you'll wear out the line before that, for sure.  But if you don't, or if you're trying to stash some away from SHTF, I haven't found a way to store it that keeps it from becoming weaker to the point of uselessness over time.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 08:28:53 pm »

Sadly, Craftsman tools are no longer high quality. Old ones are. ...
Lowes has a brand called Kobalt.  They say that they have "the old Craftsman warranty." 

I have one of their screwdrivers sitting on my desk here,  it having fixed an ongoing aggravation with said desk's keyboard drawer.  :-)

No complaints about the quality at all.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 08:39:19 pm »

I bought a set of punches there a while back,  one center punch failed at the point and one of the others snapped.  It took me three trips to two different stores to get that straightened out and at the end of it the management-type I was talking to made it a point to see that I was advised that this particular mfr. wanted you to send the tools back to them.  Seems there's now a difference if it doesn't bear the "Craftsman" name on it,  so I guess they're counting on people going in there and buying tools and not being aware of that.    :-(

OTOH I *NEVER* have a problem getting anything straightened out with any of my Snap-On stuff.    :-)  I just wish I could afford more of it...

AND .... it seems that more and more retail "clerks" have absolutely NO experience with the tools they sell and blindly take the "company line" as a shield.
IMO It comes from the "we vs them" mindset.  "Them, They, the public are ALL out to cheat the Company so keep your eyes open ...."

Beats me.  Just today I went out to a store for a couple of items,  and walked up to the "Customer Service" counter,  which is where I needed to go to buy tobacco.  PA has this law that's been in effect for some years now that's aimed at discouraging sales of tobacco products to minors,  and apparently there are a lot of point-of-sale systems that are programmed to ask for a date of birth when you make such a purchase,  so she did.  And I declined.  And she whined at me "But I have to!" at which point I told her to just punch something in and not hassle me about it,  which is what they do in most stores,  and she proceeded to argue with me about it.  I said that I didn't come in there to get hassled,  and would be happy enough to just walk away and not do the transaction if she was going to insist on carrying on like that.  There were,  when I walked up there,  a number of store employees gathered at that counter,  and in fact several of them had to move aside to allow me to get to the counter.  Finally one guy came up behind her and spoke to her quietly and the problem went away.  But Jeez!

Oh,  and I tried to get on this company's web site after that to tell 'em what I thought about it?  Guess they need to do some work on issues besides training,  too,  because their "contact us" page wouldn't work either,  I got firefox telling me that it was trying a redirect in a way that would never complete.  Oh well.  Maybe I'll spend some of their money by using their toll-free number if I feel so inclined on Monday.  Or maybe I'll just go shop somewhere else,  though the other similar stores around here are just as bad,  unfortunately.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

slidemansailor

• Moderator Group
  • A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:27 pm »

I'm again in retail now and in a position I get to manage many of the returns, exchanges and "losses".  While Sears and Craftsman have noticeable changed for the worse, so have the customers.  Not all, for sure and I am reasonably confident it is not the majority. However, the number willing to lie, cheat and steal from anyone they can is startling and disappointing.  Many in retail become jaded.  I continue to see the vast majority as honorable and worthy of the finest service I can provide.  I am also regularly disappointed, but refuse to let their sins paint the good folks I transact business with.

So please remember to place some of the blame on the folks shopping the store alongside you.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up