The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airline Security  (Read 3206 times)

Tribeless

• http://
Airline Security
« on: October 12, 2003, 02:21:54 pm »

:rolleyes: Just a small anecdote arising from Claire's Sunday blog on airline security, and just to demonstrate how 'silly' the whole thing has become.

About two months ago on a flight back from a holiday in Brisbane to Christchurch on Qantas Airlines, my wife had a corkscrew in her hand luggage confiscated to never be seen again (that implement being one of our primary pieces of holiday equipment).

Not even 20 minutes into the flight, we were both given a steel knife and fork to eat our meal with ... duh.

So if you are a terrorist don't take all the risks at the terminal, just wait for the air crew to serve you a meal  :blink:  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Airline Security
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 03:04:37 pm »

So if you are a terrorist don't take all the risks at the terminal, just wait for the air crew to serve you a meal  :blink:
 :blink: Indeed. Sheexh.

And if you're not a terrorist, do you laugh ... or cry? It's hard to know, sometimes ...
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Dana

Airline Security
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 11:45:58 am »

Not even 20 minutes into the flight, we were both given a steel knife and fork to eat our meal with ... duh.

So if you are a terrorist don't take all the risks at the terminal, just wait for the air crew to serve you a meal  :blink:

And a close family member of mine recently got real glassware on a flight.  If one needed to fight off an on-board terrorist, I suppose one could break the wine glass, hope for some good sharp edges, and take it from there.  Obviously not the best available tool, but one's options on a flight are quite limited these days.

Dana

Hasher

Airline Security
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 09:49:45 pm »

This is one reason have at least some skills in hand to hand as not all fights take place with guns or are even fair. I always wear cowboy or hiking boots when I fly along with my gunbelt (heavy leather..makes a good flail) and carry a surefire with me. Somthing is better than nothing and I always try to figure out what I would do if somthing happens. Remember seat cushions that float also make good shields against knife wielding attackers.

Hasher

Herself

Airline Security
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 12:13:36 pm »

I recently flew from "Flyover" (my hometown, sadly to the left of Hardyville for all that it's Eastish) to Dallas, and forgot I was carrying a little mirror-comb snap-together thingie in my purse.  It's a nice *glass* mirror, the sharp edges held in a plastic frame. It'd take about 20 seconds to improvise a workable knife -- even less time if one had had the forsight to score a diagonal scratch on the mirror.  My heavily-rivetted belt passed muster, too.

But not the collection of change in my purse!  That called for a full dump-it-out search!  On the way back, all coins were in a Baggie; pulled that out and laid it in the tray separately so the Transpodroids could see what the X-ray-opaque blob was, and no problem.  ...And still carried the mirror. :blink:

Alas, missed my chance to run by the big shootin' range not too far from DFW that rents time on a .50-cal machine gun.  Oh well, I'd just scare myself....

--Herself

Delos

Airline Security
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 09:16:51 pm »

I did the flying cattle cars on one trip after 9-11.

I have nothing pressing internationally, and if I want to travel it'll be in the car.
Pages: [1]   Go Up