The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardens 2009  (Read 53565 times)

crepemyrtle357

Gardens 2009
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

Hope no one minds, but thought a new gardening thread was needed. If anyone does mind just merge with one of the others.

I have a question. Can't remember who, but one of us, not me, planted garlic in the spring or summer of last year. Wanted to know how it did. I had bulbs for late fall planting but unfortunately didn't get it in.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." Einstein

NuclearDruid

Re: Gardens 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:42 am »

Mutti and I planted a bed of garlic in the Fall. They're peeking their little leaves through the mulch now.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

fred.greek

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

My gardening research notes are online at:

http://sca21.wikia.com/wiki/Mess

Suggested sample list of books:

Gardening for Maximum Nutrition, Jerry Minnich
The Postage Stamp Garden Book, Duane Newcomb
How to Grow more Vegetables Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine, John Jeavons
Carrots Love Tomatoes, Louise Riotte
One Circle, How to Grow a Complete Diet in Less than 1,000 Square Feet, David Duhon
Secrets to Great Soil, Elizabeth P. Stell
Future Fertility, Transforming Human Waste Into Human Wealth, John Beeby
Test Your Soil With Plants, John Beeby
The Humanure Handbook:  A Guide to Composting Human Manure, by Joseph Jenkins

Retired, but still working in the garden...

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:44:46 pm »

We planted a dozen garlic bulbs back in November. They are all up and running now. No idea about planting later in the year, but they might not get finished if planted too late. The sooner the better I'm guessing.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:31:12 pm »

Last year's small bucket garden showed me that there is simply not enough space available to grow foodstuffs in sufficient quantity to make it pay off.

So this year my garden shall be herbs like Basil and Thyme and jalapenos and maybe a nice high yielding tomato plant or three.

Field onions work well as well, and they are great in scrambled eggs.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

kirgi07

• Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 05:54:51 am »

Last year's small bucket garden showed me that there is simply not enough space available to grow foodstuffs in sufficient quantity to make it pay off.

So this year my garden shall be herbs like Basil and Thyme and jalapenos and maybe a nice high yielding tomato plant or three.

They are called ramps. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

crepemyrtle357

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:45 am »

When you plant your Thyme put it in its own container, it will come back the next year.  Minr id planted in a defunct wringer washer.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." Einstein

Texasbound

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:29:26 pm »

One thing I always have had is an area that I grow mint.  It's like a weed, hard to kill and spreads like wildfire.  We use it to make tea and for cooking all the time.   Can't seem to have enough of it.  You can grow it darn near anywhere is seems.

Who...me?

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:42:49 pm »

If you build an "A" frame rack you can put many more plants in a smaller area. I had one years ago and just built a new one this year. My mother in law asked if she could put a "few" plants in our garden last year and darned near took over. So this year I doubled the garden area and a new "A" frame so I would have the space I need and make her happy also. Because allowing her to take up so much garden made my wife happy. And as all me know....If momma ain't happy...ain't nobody  happy...LOL

It's like a weed, hard to kill and spreads like wildfire.

TB I know just what you mean. When we bought this house the fence line had mint growing down it's length. I wanted to put in raspberry plants instead. It took me 4 years to get rid of the mint plants.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:34:08 pm by Who....me? »
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Canadian Mamma

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »

One thing I always have had is an area that I grow mint.  It's like a weed, hard to kill and spreads like wildfire.  We use it to make tea and for cooking all the time.   Can't seem to have enough of it.  You can grow it darn near anywhere is seems.

Sadly I've manged to kill it, I planted it a bed sort of under a tree.
Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.........John Wayne

The trouble with some women is they get all excited about nothing and then marry him.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »

If you build an "A" frame rack you can put many more plants in a smaller area. I had one years ago and just built a new one this year. My mother in law asked if she could put a "few" plants in our garden last year and darned near took over. So this year I doubled the garden area and a new "A" frame so I would have the space I need and make her happy also. Because allowing her to take up so much garden made my wife happy. And as all me know....If momma ain't happy...nobody is happy...LOL

Space is a bit too limited to do that, but that does have me thinking a bit.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Texasbound

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:58:52 am »

Does anyone have a solution to keeping local cats out of your garden, other than a .22??

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 08:22:32 am »

Moved Strawberries (about 300) to permanent bed, Artichokes (both globe and Jerusalem) are returning, Cardoon (for cheesemaking) as well,  ND started tomatoes, DD set up sweet potato slips, ND sorted through for seed potatoes, uncovered perennial herbs/greens (pro sorrel made it fine not sure on other variety), asparagus beds cleaned/filled/mulched, pear trees grafted or moved to permanent location - spring is coming!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Who...me?

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 10:56:54 am »

Does anyone have a solution to keeping local cats out of your garden, other than a .22??

My cousin got one of these http://www.critterridders.com/scarecrow.htm ans swears by it. Good for any animal and it's also funny as all get out when used as a joke to surprise the kids.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Texasbound

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 12:53:00 pm »

My cousin got one of these http://www.critterridders.com/scarecrow.htm ans swears by it. Good for any animal and it's also funny as all get out when used as a joke to surprise the kids.

Not a bad idea.... I hate it when they crap in the garden....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28   Go Up