The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eight Not-So-Pretty Observations from Big Sky Country  (Read 5021 times)

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
Eight Not-So-Pretty Observations from Big Sky Country
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:57:14 pm »

http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/eight-not-so-pretty-observations-from-big-sky-country-32835

http://www.howestreet.com/articles/index.php?article_id=9064

Eight Not-So-Pretty Observations from Big Sky Country

by Tony Sagami   03-24-09
Tony Sagami

My kids and I love it here in Montana … the rugged Rockies, the majestic
wildlife, the crisp air. And if I ever meet Al Gore, I am going to thank him
for inventing the Internet. After all without the Internet, I wouldn’t be
able to write my Money and Markets columns from my precious home.

The days of cowboys, Indians, and buffaloes are long gone from Montana.
Nevertheless, Montana is still a little behind the times — in a charming,
folksy way. And even though the Big Sky state is thousands of miles from
Manhattan, what I see happening here is useful in understanding what is
happening to our country’s economy.

And none of these observations are pretty … ...<snip>...

freewoman

Re: Eight Not-So-Pretty Observations from Big Sky Country
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:14:49 pm »

Unfortunately for all of us, the same situation is occuring all over the world.  I don't know where Tony's acquaintances expect to find work on the East Coast; I thought all the workers there were down here in Florida looking for work!  However, his recommendations are sound in any economy. 

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:19 am »

Supposedly the job situation in New Hampshire is not hopeless. Not sure, I am too busy working to notice.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:03:20 pm »

Supposedly the job situation in New Hampshire is not hopeless. Not sure, I am too busy working to notice.

Heh! Nice to hear you're staying busy, Hunter. But I hope you're not too busy to enjoy a campfire in the wilderness from time to time. In fact, I'd love to sit across a good fire from ye once again! It's been a few years - way too long! I've missed you, and am glad to see you're still choppin' wood and carryin' water.... :)

Salute!
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:59:58 am »

What he said about construction jobs, I'm taking that as true.  I've chatted with people who used to have construction jobs in Montana, and they say there are none to be had.

It seems to be the same with any skilled labor, whether construction or machining or welding.  It seems that the only jobs available are gov't jobs, social worker jobs, and store clerk jobs.  My wife and I have two of the three, and we're praying and preparing as best we can.
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 12:41:10 pm »

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2009/11/24/news/099ronnow.txt

Montanans make winter bearable -- just don't tell anyone

published on Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:43 AM MST

By KARIN RONNOW, Chronicle Columnist

Montanans like people in the outside world to believe that this is a tough place to live. That our long winters, combined with a nobody-gets-rich-here economy and requisite cowboy-up attitude eventually weed out those who don't really get it. You can't eat the scenery after all.

And there are nuggets of truth in that.

But last week's snowstorm reminded me that while Montana can be tough, the people here can be some of the most neighborly on earth. We're all in it together, and anyone who's lived here for a few winters knows that's true.

Just don't tell anyone. ...<snip>...

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 11:30:10 am »

If you can hunker down on the farm and cut your own costs, Garden, Livestock.  Sell off the "toys" and use the money on mortgage/taxes, and see if there is a way to leverage e-bay and craigslist to help the sale of the toys.

I have a day job with a company that has proved "recession proof", but I am making depression plans myself.  Picking up "mineral" currency, and figuring out which stocks are good buys in the current market (which businesses survived and trhrived in the last depression?).  Meantime I am also working some barter in my spare time.  Fixing some outdoor lighting for tickets to a show, then trading those tickets for a string of theater LEDs........ and other 3 cornered trades.  The cash money gets preserved while I start building the Barter contacts that I may later need.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up