The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Touring the Free State ®  (Read 4467 times)

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites
Touring the Free State ®
« on: September 16, 2004, 10:32:39 pm »

Hello All,

I'm currently in Lancaster NH, having started the day in Nashua. Following US3 and several smaller roads, the ability to choose a single site has become very difficult indeed.

To be truthful, I wasn't impressed at all with Nashua, and found Manchester downright distasteful. Going North, everything becomes much more interesting, and rural. But once you go through Franconia Notch, it blossoms into many many gulch possibilities.

Definite farm areas, little townships, lots of ponds, lakes, and rivers. It actually follows the whole NH cliche of church steeples with a single main street and huge Colonial or Victorian style homes. Bed & Breakfasts' abound, but somehow it is NOT yuppified!

Standouts include Lincoln, Woodstock ("Linwood"), Littleton, Lancaster, and Bethlehem. Imagine towns with about 2,000 people, all the necessities (Littleton has a WalMart, and a Home Depot on the way). Internet access, and lots of atmosphere.

I was prepared for a let down after staying in Manchester & Nashua. I have not been disappointed.

Claire - if you're reading this - have you toured NH? I have to admit that it appeals to me more than Wyoming at this point. It's definitely not as rural, but finding work in my profession has been quite easy. It's a different feeling in many ways, but wide open spaces abound here. Except for the hardwood forests, it's very similar to Southern Oregon.

Tomorrow - the seacoast and Dartmouth.

'Bug

Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

byron

Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 11:56:31 pm »

Thanks for the report 'Bug. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about the seacoast, particulary if it is packed with people.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 08:19:00 am »

Claire - if you're reading this - have you toured NH? I have to admit that it appeals to me more than Wyoming at this point.
Bug, thanks for your reports from the road -- this one, especially.

No, I've never toured NH. Never been in New England at all, for that matter. But I can imagine NH being far more attractive in some ways than Wyoming. (The parts of Wyoming that aren't owned by some government are mostly pretty damn ugly; I'm more a Montana fan, myself.)

My doubts about NH arise mainly from the fact that it's crowded in by some of the most pernicious statists in the country and that it's far, far, more expensive than the west.

But it's encouraging to think of it looking like southern Oregon. There are few places more serenely beautiful than that.

Keep your reports coming -- and good luck finding your own perfect place there.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Silver

• thrivalist
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 09:15:28 am »

nevermind
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 05:05:44 am by Silver »

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:50:01 am »

Claire,

Even expense is relative, and if perchance you were an east coaster working for(skilled or professional) east coast wages or salary it wouldn't "seem" quite as expensive.

Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 11:46:13 am »

Even expense is relative, and if perchance you were an east coaster working for(skilled or professional) east coast wages or salary it wouldn't "seem" quite as expensive.
Very true, ZooT. And your observation might help other folks.

But I will never be an east coaster working for east coast skilled wages. As a person without an SSN, I no longer have access to the big-money occupations (unless of course I decide to take up drug dealing -- which I doubt!  :lol: ). My income is limited by definition.

Also, the big-money occupations are harder to come by for anybody who refuses to live in large urban/suburban areas. Yet even the rural areas of NH are a great deal more expensive than the rural areas of Montana, Wyoming, and some of the other wide-open west states. (E.g. land at $5,000 per acre vs. $500-$750.) So an income that's adequate in the rural west falls short in rural NH.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 03:58:17 pm »

FWIW, there's tons and tons of land in Maine that can be had for $1k/acre or less.  Even right on the coast.  And if the sticks is what you're looking for, dude, you can't get a whole lot more isolated than upper Maine.  It's damn cold in wintertime, that's sure, but it's just like anywhere else I suppose -- if you know how to enjoy it, it's actually, er, enjoyable.
The oppressive heat of the South land would drive me bananas, but then I guess that's why people down thataway learn to sit in the shade of the porch, sipping iced tea and swatting flies from their rocking chairs.  Up thisaway we learn to enjoy icefishing, snowmobiling  :) , skating and skiing and the like.  Course, we get that awful heat and humidity that just saps every ounce of energy you have by eight am up here too, but usually only for a few weeks out of the year.  And at the height of summer, it's daylight out until going on 9.
Anyway, I can see how it ain't fer everyone, but myself, I love it.  That saltwater just gets in yer veins.  I know the desert isn't the place for me.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2004, 04:16:26 pm »

FWIW, there's tons and tons of land in Maine that can be had for $1k/acre or less. 
Ever since reading Ruth Dickinson Rich's wonderful book We Took to the Woods, I've thought northern Maine sounded dauntingly great. And the idea of 1k coastal land? Whoohoo. Yeah, salt air is glorious.

But uh ... they forgot to pick Maine as the freestate. So that's sort of a moot point. It's either NH (if the FSP gets its 20k) or stayin' put in my beloved west.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 04:17:09 pm by Claire »

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 04:34:59 pm »

(if the FSP gets its 20k)
So, out West then, eh? :(  
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Junker

Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2004, 05:02:55 pm »

Na ja, it's kind of a shame. I never looked forward much to NH, but it has potential. And developments can happen. I didn't sign up myself 'cause of the way I am, but I've always thought I could move there anyway. The input of the FSPers will still flavor the state a bit and as it develops might become more and more interesting. In thinking of the beads on the freedom gulch necklace, I'd think more than one will show up in NH. And that's a good thing-- the more choices available, I think, the better.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 06:39:31 pm »

Na ja, it's kind of a shame. I never looked forward much to NH, but it has potential. And developments can happen. I didn't sign up myself 'cause of the way I am, but I've always thought I could move there anyway. The input of the FSPers will still flavor the state a bit and as it develops might become more and more interesting. In thinking of the beads on the freedom gulch necklace, I'd think more than one will show up in NH. And that's a good thing-- the more choices available, I think, the better.
Yeah, well said, Junker. Even though it appears unlikely the FSP will make 20k in this lifetime, that beautiful phrase of yours, "the freedom gulch necklace," along with little pockets of freedom lovers in WY, MT, NH, ID ... even Germany, it seems ... will give us hope.

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2004, 11:16:16 pm »

Well, I'm through with my tour for now of New Hampshire. I'm sitting in Boston's Logan Airport, preparing for my proctology exam (preparing mentally, at least). My flight leaves tomorrow fairly early, and it was just easier to get here and stay up all night.

I haven't changed my socks all week, in anticipation of the probable shoe removal.

Having toured most of NH, I can say that it has something for everybody. Proximity to work. Large cities (100,000 is large on my scale), small towns, in between, etc. Only place I absolutely hated was Berlin, and even THEY had nice views looking away from the town. The town itself reminded me of Patterson, NJ. Manchester doesn't appeal, but then again, I want only one grocery store within 10 miles of my house.

Current top contenders are Lancaster, Keene, Bethlehem, and Conway. I am fortunate to have a relatively decent income that doesn't require driving to work. Ultimately, it will be up to my kids, though. We want to ensure they get their activities (karate being the difficult find). We're looking for 5 acres with a view of the stars and no light pollution.

Though poo-pooed by many, the fact that jobs are available in NH is a huge advantage. Sure, there are bunches of people, but I think it's more likely to get people here than in some other areas. To get the same prospects in the West, you're pretty much relegated to Idaho. And Idaho's population is comparable to NH, so what have you gained? Some more space, sure, but that has its drawbacks, too.

I met with several other porcupines while here, and it's always like recharging my batteries. Clear eyed and pretty, too. What is it about Libertarian women that makes them universally babes?

If anybody  knows a good karate instructor that might be interested in moving.....

'Bug
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
Touring the Free State ®
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 01:25:19 pm »

We want to ensure they get their activities (karate being the difficult find).
'Bug, yuo must not have been paying attention if you think karate is going to be a holdup. Ya can't hardly throw a rock without hitting a dojo around here. That's less true as you go up north into the country you were looking at, but I don't think that is going to be a big holdup. If you need specific areas checked out on that score, drop me a PM, and I'll email a martial arts enthusiast former co-worker of mine. He can check with the network of other instructors in the state and probably fix you right up.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.
Pages: [1]   Go Up