The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woman tased upon discovering her child was dead  (Read 5002 times)

Lenny

Woman tased upon discovering her child was dead
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:49 pm »

Manuel Lora called this electronic counseling:

The frantic mother of a 6-year-old boy killed in this morning's triple murder in Terrytown was subdued with a Taser gun by Jefferson Parish deputies at the murder scene, a sheriff's spokesman said.

The mother of Four Overstreet grew irate with authorities when she arrived at the Monterey Court apartment where the rampage happened before 4 a.m., Saturday. When she got physical, deputies stunned her to bring the situation under control, Col. John Fortunato said.

Mr. Bill

Re: Woman tased upon discovering her child was dead
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »

I've been trying to find more info on this.  Here's an article with a few more details.

Children shot in Terrytown; three dead, victim's mother arrested after fight with police
...a 19-year-old woman, Domonique Sterling, was found lying on the living room floor with a gunshot wound to the back, police said. She was pronounced dead on the scene.

An 11-year-old girl was found in one of the bedrooms, shot multiple times, police said, and was taken to the hospital where she is in stable condition.

In a rear bedroom, a 23-month-old boy, Robert Claiborne, son of Domonique Sterling, and a six-year-old boy, Four Overstreet, were found by police each with a gunshot wound to the head. ...

Rayshika Overstreet, 29, Four's mother, who arrived on the scene later, was subdued with a Taser after she became belligerent with police and struck an officer and struggled with another officer, police said.

She was charged with interfering with the police, resisting arrest by fighting, battery on a police officer, contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile because of the narcotics seized from her apartment and possession of crack cocaine and possession of marijuana, police said.

Byron Estes, 28, Overstreet's boyfriend, will be booked with possession of crack cocaine, possession of marijuana, along with the same contributing to the delinquency charge as Overstreet, police said.

Overstreet and Estes lived in the apartment of the murders, and the drugs found in the apartment belonged to them, according to police. ...

Estes has multiple prior arrests for narcotics violations, police said, and was recently released from federal prison on a drug charge.

Overstreet has prior arrests, police said, for possession of crack cocaine, simple battery, domestic abuse battery, theft charges along with attachment arrests. ...

I do feel sorry for the tased mom, but it looks like there's a little more going on here than just "electronic counseling" of a distraught parent.

khagler

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23:15 am »

I'm guessing that the "more" in this case is that the victim is a black woman living in a poor neighborhood in the deep south.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:25:33 pm »

I'm guessing that the "more" in this case is that the victim is a black woman CRACKHEAD living in a poor neighborhood in the deep south.

I fixed that for you.  A white CRACKHEAD beating on police would have got the taser too.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 08:13:56 am »

Maybe she was a (insert whatever here) - but  personally ( and unexpectedly) having held my dead child in my arms - I can attest that the next 3 months really have no place in my memory. I am sure I railed, yelled, did stupid stuff.  If within moments of finding out my child was dead I got "belligerent" with the police - I still would not expect to be tasered. JMO

ďRightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.Ē  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 08:31:14 am »

I agree that there was no need for a taser.  I just don't buy the idea that it was because she was black.  From my experience, JBTs only see two colors:  blue and not-blue.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Mr. Bill

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 10:55:52 am »

Maybe she was a (insert whatever here) - but  personally ( and unexpectedly) having held my dead child in my arms - I can attest that the next 3 months really have no place in my memory. I am sure I railed, yelled, did stupid stuff.  If within moments of finding out my child was dead I got "belligerent" with the police - I still would not expect to be tasered. JMO

Very sorry for you, mutti.

It's difficult to imagine circumstances that would have justified use of a taser on the mother.  Maybe if she'd picked up a weapon and was threatening people, or was about to commit suicide.  In an extreme situation like that, I could see it.  All I see here is that "she became belligerent with police and struck an officer and struggled with another officer" -- and I strongly suspect "belligerent" is an inaccurate word used by the police to justify their actions.  "Hysterical" would probably be more correct.

My guess is that the cops were in a big hurry to arrest her and her boyfriend for drug "crimes", and blamed them for creating the situation that was a prelude to this multiple-murder.  So the cops were happy to make her life as miserable as possible.

The thing is, it may be true that the mother's chosen lifestyle invited this murder.  That's what I meant when I wrote "it looks like there's a little more going on here".  That doesn't justify the tasering.  It does, probably, justify an investigation of whether the mother and boyfriend were endangering her child and the other people in the house.

NuclearDruid

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:35:22 pm »

The thing is, it may be true that the mother's chosen lifestyle invited this murder.  That's what I meant when I wrote "it looks like there's a little more going on here".  That doesn't justify the tasering.  It does, probably, justify an investigation of whether the mother and boyfriend were endangering her child and the other people in the house.

Slippery slope there. I was reading a a study a while back where injury and fatality rates among farm children were almost 50% higher than urban children. Obviously, the numbers are a bit skewed as not all urban children live in poverty and drug-ridden hell holes and farm children are normally much farther away from medical treatment. Still, an "endangering lifestyle" is a qualitative standard.

Latest on the mom.
Mother of young murder victim speaks about the triple homicide

We all know that New Orleans cops never plant evidence. City settles lawsuit

Just saying,
ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

Mr. Bill

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:11 pm »

...It does, probably, justify an investigation of whether the mother and boyfriend were endangering her child and the other people in the house.

Slippery slope there. I was reading a a study a while back where injury and fatality rates among farm children were almost 50% higher than urban children. Obviously, the numbers are a bit skewed as not all urban children live in poverty and drug-ridden hell holes and farm children are normally much farther away from medical treatment. Still, an "endangering lifestyle" is a qualitative standard.

Yeah, that's a good point.  I'm trying to imagine what principles would apply here in an anarcholibertarian utopia.  I mean, obviously the entire situation would be different, because there wouldn't be any "illegal" drugs.  But if you had some analogous situation, e.g. a parent believed to be involved in serious criminal activity, where violent interaction with other criminals is likely... at what point is an outsider justified in intervening on behalf of the child?

Well, I think similar topics have come up on the forum before, and we've never had a consensus about when it's okay to interfere with parental rights.

We all know that New Orleans cops never plant evidence. ...

That too.  :angry:

Lenny

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:19:19 pm »

Well, I think similar topics have come up on the forum before, and we've never had a consensus about when it's okay to interfere with parental rights.

Taking a Rothbardian/Blockian view of libertarian law, I'd say that on the one hand parents don't exactly have "parental rights," but then again one cannot forcibly "terminate" them.

It's a sticky subject, and not completely solved, but basically speaking parents aren't authorized to initiate aggression against children--for example, to assault or rape them. Children aren't property or chattel. Parental "authority" is a sort of "custodial easement" giving them limited rights. The child theoretically has the right to assert self-ownership, with the proviso that the parent can refuse to provide food, clothing and shelter. In other words, "As long as you're under my roof, you follow my rules." But custody, being a form of property right, can theoretically be bought and sold.

What makes the whole discussion infinitely thorny is that babies start out as non-sentient creatures, and libertarian law doesn't really know what to do with babies, vegetables or the senile. So everything I just said at most kinda sorta works, and the fact remains that I can and do resort to physical coercion over my young child when I deem it appropriate. At age 8 he now has a lot of negotiating power, but at age 3 he was a semi-human creature with very limited self-determination.

dogsledder54

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 03:25:51 pm »

In a more "perfect" world, someone would have shot the pigs to calm them down.
How fucking insensitive !
   :angry:

gaurdduck

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 11:45:59 pm »

In a more "perfect" world, someone would have shot the pigs to calm them down.
How fucking insensitive !
   :angry:

Amen! :notworthy:
Pages: [1]   Go Up