The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban retreat/security for home  (Read 19418 times)

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: Urban retreat/security for home
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:24 am »

Yep! I am in just about the same condition but I have been actively preparing for around 5 years now. Wife feels the same also and answers "There's nothing we can do about it." Frustrating!!

She will not wake up!

The only advice I can contribute is plan on bugging out of there.

I live out in the country and 40 miles from a major city and I have planned on bugging out to a very remote area where I prospect for gold.

My wife plans on going to her folks in a urban area when the time comes. Suicide by default.

That's sad, but a common situation where one spouse wakes up and the other refuses to see the writing
on the wall. It's usually the guy who gets it and the gal who refuses to see it, but in some cases it's the
other way around.

This is not a logical thing usually, and so trying to use logic and facts to prove your point is likely to
result in more anger from your spouse. Admitting that the country is circling the drain and things are
likely to fall apart is to admit that all of their work in make a safe and comfortable home may have
been for naught, and that instead of comfort and security the future may hold deprivation and fear.

Can you see why this message would be a hard sell to women?

You might try 'selling' the bug out location idea as a vacation spot, as a back up to your current living
situation, so you have choices and options. If everything remains fine, you can continue living as you
do, but if there are problems, your family will have a more comfortable time of it.

If things start turning to Schumer, her idea of going to the city may change. If you get along well with
your inlaws, you might float the idea of having them join you two at the bug out location, and make
plans and lay in provisions accordingly. This might provide your wife with a greater sense of security,
and you would have two more pairs of eyes and two more pairs of hands to help.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

ARC308

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 06:34:12 pm »

Bear,

The situation here is they (wife and stepdaughter) refuse any aspect that something bad could happen and can't see past the fact of our country is bankrupt and sinking fast. A lot of it has to do with " The U.S.is too big to fail" moto. Also my wife and her family are quite the liberal type. I am strictly conservative and I still can't figure that one out?

From the intel I am receiving this collapse will be very bad, deficit of 1800-2000%.

When the time comes, I will go my way and she will go hers. It is a sad thing and there's nothing I can do about it.

My side of the family plans on holding out at my brothers place but they are also in a urban area close to a large town. My brother is a Marine Combat Vet and he is facing the same problem of his wife leaving. If it gets too bad there, he said he would pull out and head for my location.

I am a U.S. Marine Combat Vet and I can't go against my training and combat experience plus the feeling in my bones. I am trained to survive anything and I am well equipped.

"Can you see why this message would be a hard sell to women?"

Yes, but when all hell breaks loose, she would be a lot safer with me than setting in her parents home surrounded by Tens of thousands running out of everything. Her mind is made up!

DiabloLoco

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:38 pm »

Bear,

The situation here is they (wife and stepdaughter) refuse any aspect that something bad could happen and can't see past the fact of our country is bankrupt and sinking fast. A lot of it has to do with " The U.S.is too big to fail" moto. Also my wife and her family are quite the liberal type. I am strictly conservative and I still can't figure that one out?

From the intel I am receiving this collapse will be very bad, deficit of 1800-2000%.

When the time comes, I will go my way and she will go hers. It is a sad thing and there's nothing I can do about it.

My side of the family plans on holding out at my brothers place but they are also in a urban area close to a large town. My brother is a Marine Combat Vet and he is facing the same problem of his wife leaving. If it gets too bad there, he said he would pull out and head for my location.

I am a U.S. Marine Combat Vet and I can't go against my training and combat experience plus the feeling in my bones. I am trained to survive anything and I am well equipped.

"Can you see why this message would be a hard sell to women?"

Yes, but when all hell breaks loose, she would be a lot safer with me than setting in her parents home surrounded by Tens of thousands running out of everything. Her mind is made up!

I know that I say this often, but please remember OPSEC. Be very vague if you feel the need to describe something. This is a public forum. Anybody can and will look at everything that you write here. Don't willfully give out information. Make the bastards WORK for it! :mellow:

ARC308

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 07:02:19 pm »

Warning Understood. But what I have posted here has already been posted elsewhere and I know they watch. They already know who I am and that I pose no threat.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:55 pm »

They already know who I am and that I pose no threat.
You do when there are a million others just like you though. :mellow:

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 08:33:46 am »

I think the problem may be "Daddy's girl" or "Mommy boy" syndrome.  That case where your SO/hubby is married to you but has an attachment that matches awfully close to the one you agreed upon when you married.........  Loyalty is to whom? The family you and she are creating or to the people that have the apron and purse strings still hooked in?   I would love to be wrong, but it is an issue that has to be resolved before the going gets rough, is the loyalty to the FAMILY (you and the offspring that have been created) to the Family (The collection of blood relatives and their ethics) or somewhere else.........

That is probably part of the reason so many preppers tend to be single/ divorced, that need for loyalty to a set of principles that is not all that common.......and the OPSEC that causes most to stay on the down low until too far into a relationship.

That is also one of the problems with an urban retreat, t6he constant tugs on one's loyalties and possible "Repioritizing" that is constantly encouraged.........

Oh and a result of an experiment:  A wall of spaced cinderblocks filled with 1/2-3/4 inch gravel is good ballistically if 3/8 chicken wire is between the outside wall and gravel.  The whole set up is compromised in a cold wet environment that drops below freezing however if your drainage clogs up. If you are in a "No Freeze" zone however the same setup filled with water would probably give excellent fire protection as well.......
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:39:15 am by Rarick »
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:25 pm »

Arc308,

Denial is a powerful thing. Having once had a bad case myself, I can imagine
someone being in denial about the situation right up, and including when it's
in their face. Some folks will not give up their mental picture of the way things
work, and when faced with contrary evidence, will just fail to understand what
is in front of them rather than admit to themselves they were wrong.

Best of luck,

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Rarick

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 04:51:45 am »

The movie "Last of The Mohicans" illustrates the point with the 2 sisters.  One adapted and was strong enough to actually enjoy the wild, the other sister was passive and suicided rather than do anything to change what TPTB said her fate was to be and live.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

GeoMonkey

• Provisional
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 06:00:30 pm »

For those who are single or WILL BE -

Make a list of 5 or 10 essentials you require in a potential mate.  If, within the first few dates, she/he doesn't meet those essentials - dump them and keep searching.  It may sound unromantic, but an actual happy life is at risk here folks.

Number one on my list was "Must beleive in the 2nd Amendment, and be willing to defend it!"  My wife is an NRA member  ^_^

Rarick

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 08:27:04 am »

I think the hardest things for the urban bug in will be the water supply issue.   If the power goes down, what kind of water is there going to be?  Before elevators most buildings had a 6 story limit as well, that could be something to consider in how high you want to be in an apartment building..........(higher=tired thug by the time he gets to you, but also a long hike with a load....)

Water collection schemes are going to be needed too, the ability to turn a bugged out neighbors apartment into a cistern and some means of collecting rain with gutters?  Definitely a location issue...... 

DiabloLoco

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:06 pm »

For those who are single or WILL BE -

Make a list of 5 or 10 essentials you require in a potential mate.  If, within the first few dates, she/he doesn't meet those essentials - dump them and keep searching.  It may sound unromantic, but an actual happy life is at risk here folks.

Number one on my list was "Must beleive in the 2nd Amendment, and be willing to defend it!"  My wife is an NRA member  ^_^
My number one priority is a high intelligence. With that base covered, everything else will fall into place. "You can't fix stupid!" -Ron White

Number 2 priority- Integrity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up