The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What Should the Membership Policy for Oath Keepers Be? NEED YOUR INPUT  (Read 31892 times)

CorbinKale

• Oath Keepers
Re: What Should the Membership Policy for Oath Keepers Be? NEED YOUR INPUT
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 11:20:38 pm »

Thanks for the input all. 

Hey, I just got an email telling me that the NRA is giving away free memberships:

Stewart

You get what you pay for, huh?   ^_^

I am an Oath Keeper in my heart. I don't need a doodad on a hat, or a laminated card to prove it. I will spend my life in keeping my Oath, but I won't spend a dime to 'be a member'. A need to belong to a group is fairly common among humans, but it is a weakness that is all too often exploited to manipulate those who demand to be manipulated, like the NRA does. I don't think your organization has any ulterior motives beyond what has been stated publicly, but I would warn you against having memberships. People will join up with the sole purpose of discrediting Oath Keepers. That would be a terrible shame, as the Oath Keepers will be the last chance for a restoration of the Constitution.

I'll fight when it is time and continue to speak out, fulfilling my Oath to support and defend the Constitution. My time, my testimony and my life is all I will donate to the cause, as I have no fortune. If more is required, I will salute and move along quietly with no hard feelings. I was an army of one, decades before DA came up with that lame slogan.
A free man doesn't beg permission to exercise his Rights.

MacCoinneach

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:09 pm »

I don't need a hat, a pin, or a patch!  You can keep it!

Now let me back up a bit.  I would love to have a hat, a pin, or a patch if they are made and offered.  Don't get me wrong on that :-)  You know what I mean...

I just want to make it clear that I am not seeking trinkets with my membership.  Official member or not.  I AM an Oath Keeper and intend to keep it that way.

american4life

• I'm not prejudice. I hate all politicans equally
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 05:34:32 pm »

Now let me back up a bit.  I would love to have a hat, a pin, or a patch if they are made and offered.  Don't get me wrong on that :-)  You know what I mean...

I just want to make it clear that I am not seeking trinkets with my membership.  Official member or not.  I AM an Oath Keeper and intend to keep it that way.
Isn't it the best way to get your ,or should i say our message across, word of mouth?? The point i was trying to make is that I travel around alot. When people see that I'm am wearing a "Oath Keepers" shirt or patch don't you think people will ask questions??

Just my 2 cents.

MacCoinneach

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:01 pm »

Isn't it the best way to get your ,or should i say our message across, word of mouth?? The point i was trying to make is that I travel around alot. When people see that I'm am wearing a "Oath Keepers" shirt or patch don't you think people will ask questions??

Just my 2 cents.

I am not against patches, hats, stickers, or shirts.  I was showing that my support is NOT about that; however, you are correct, it would spark questions from people...hopefully.  In fact, I am awaiting word on the finalized logo/patch for the Oath Keepers organization so that I can have a decal created and placed on my vehicle.  It will have the logo, the website, and the statement "Not on our watch".  I would like people to get curious about what they see and hopefully visit the site to learn more.  I have been behind someone at a red light and they had a website pasted to their back window or bumper and it sparked my interest.  So why not give it try myself?

I see your 2 cents and up it 4... 

Wyomiles

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:08 pm »

Nevermind, thought I was somewhere else... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:50:45 pm by Wyomiles »

YeOldFurt

• Provisional
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 11:34:57 pm »

From my blog:
http://yeoldfurt.blogspot.com/2009/04/oath-keepers-when-im-wrong-i-do-it-with.html

Oath Keepers -- When I'm Wrong, I Do It With Bells On!
I have been holding off posting any more about the Oath Keepers till I could talk with Stewart Rhodes personally. I wanted to get everything clear instead of third hand. I have monitored the website and forum.

Finally got a chance to converse with Stewart. Yep, I was a little upset in thinking us little guys were being ignored. Seems that Stewart & Company is only a 4 man/woman operation working from the heart and are seriously swamped with all the people jumping on the band wagon. Stewart has assured me that we weren't being ignored or "overlooked". Just that he and his "helpers" are deluged with everything. There was gatherings all over the US and they just haven't been able to get to all of them yet. I was hot-headed and feeling slighted on behalf of myself and the other people at Gonzales, so I sounded off.
Seems a lot of what gets posted on the Oath Keepers blogsite comes from other people. The bits about April 19th came from someone else and not Stewart. Kinda like guest postings on other blogs. Didn't know you can do that and still don't know how.

Now, I don't feel so snake bit. So I will ADMIT I WAS WRONG, and offer an apology to Stewart and the other individuals working with him. I am not perfect and neither is he, but we were able to communicate and reach consensus.

Oath Keepers is a grass roots organization. It's very existence is in the hearts and minds of the individuals willing to take the Oath to Preserve, Protect and Defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic to the last extremity. Just as the men did on Lexington Green and Concord and Gonzales. It extends through the men/women on active duty, Law Enforcement Officers and Public Servants that believe in keeping their Oath. It does not depend on a national organization, it is in the small towns, hamlets, cities and country side where such men and women abide and are willing to come together in mutual pledge and defense.

Some people feel a need to belong, a need for identification. "Here lies the rub". How do you create an organization of spirit and transform it to one of substance? How do you nurture it and cause it to thrive and grow. These are the questions Stewart & Company are asking of us. Our input, our ideas. Least we can do is sound off a bit (just don't do it like I did).

I'll let Stewart tell ya'll about the July 4th. But in closing, I want to say that I'm going to post this whole thing on the forum. I don't mind being wrong when I'm wrong. The least a feller can do is own up to his mistakes and learn something from them.
YeOldFurt

Stewart the Yalie

• Moderator Group
  • "The final weapon is the brain"
    • Dirt Rhodes Scholar
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 03:48:35 am »

Thanks YeOldFurt.  It was good to talk to you today.  You are a man of honor, and I am proud to call you a fellow Oath Keeper.  Hey, check this out: 

http://oath-keepers.blogspot.com/2009/04/oath-ceremonies-at-appleseed-shoots-and.html

I just posted about the oath ceremonies at the Appleseed shoots, and also about your gathering in Gonzales.  As soon as you get the video online, let me know and I will post that as well. 

For the Republic,

Stewart

PS - the photos and video of Lexington we first put up were uploaded onto the web by other attendees, and it was relatively easy for us to go grab them off the web and post them on our blog.  We were waiting on your video before we posted your pics, but now we'll just add your video later.  We are still uploading our own video and photos of the event, and will post those as we finally get them together. 
Remember, remember your body will not live forever
That you will die matters not;
When The Day comes, follow your fathers
Give them ball for ball, and shot for shot.

Stewart

TNT

• The return of the Minutemen
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 02:13:50 pm »

What the NRA did was to boost their memberships to bolster their numbers,  they also realized that times are hard and getting them numbers would be something of a issue for what what was happening.  Maybe going off the assumption that things will get a will get a little bit better in the furture so, re newing the membership will not be so hard.  I can understand wanting verification and such althought asking for DD214's I have not a problem with that,a security issue with the social security numbers might provide to be a kink in the armor.  I think if you want to bolster the numbers so that people can be heard go with a free one year membership, and then go from there if you need donations just ask some my not give much but most will give what they can. IMO 
I BELIEVE IN THE CONSTITUTION

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • Moderator Group
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:15 pm »

I am not the person to be answering this question BUT I am going to jump in here and say that at this point I do NOT see Oath Keepers asking for "Your Papers, Please" at any time in the near future.

We [here again I remind all that I speak ONLY for myself ...] are an organization based on the Honorable action of Keeping an Oath made before witnesses and God upon our sacred Honor. I fail to see where a piece of paper, any piece of paper, could authenticate ones Honor any higher than ones Word of Honor.

My guess is that we will wind up with an "open membership" type of thingie that makes no authentication requirement.
You look another Oath Keeper in the Eye and say you are one, you know whether or not it is true and so will they.

I will have to read this thread back through to find out where the reference to the DD214 came from because I know it wasn't from Stewart or Elias or myself.

So far as I know there are very few rules having to do with Oath Keepers and they are the Zero Aggression Principle and to Keep your Oath. 
RESPECT for others is Very Much appreciated so it Might be a rule .... I'll have to ask.  :rolleyes:
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

TNT

• The return of the Minutemen

honestly how else would you determine someones eligibility if you wanted to know.  I really do not know of any other way to do so.  And I myself would have no qualms with you asking for mine if you wanted to, but if your going to set the criteria then papers of some sort have to be shown.  Otherwise how else would you do so? 
I BELIEVE IN THE CONSTITUTION

da gooch

• Moderator Group

Quote jamie ....
"Maybe the thing should be expanded. "

The thing is that it can't get much more expanded than it already is at present.

I will have to go look it up but in the first couple of weeks Stewart and I were both mentioning that Anyone who took the Oath and Kept it was an Oath Keeper. So the whole idea of having to "show your papers" to be able to be an Oath Keeper is something new and I would venture it isn't from either Stewart or any of the other Oath Keepers Crew.  I know it isn't from me.

I think that trying to be exclusive is exactly the wrong message to spread. 
Inclusive is the best policy. IMHO

Is the criteria strictly and always serving or ex-military?  and I suppose law enforcement whether or not they are ex-military?

No sir.  The active duty military, Reserves and veterans as well as Peace Officers are our target demographic but we are not thinking of excluding anyone except those that Hate.

I quote the "We are Not List".

We are Not advocating or promoting any act or acts of
aggression
against any organization or person for any
reason including, but not limited to; race, religion,
national origin, political affiliation, gender or
sexual orientation.

III

Disavowed spook

Any missing DD214, etc. can be easily replaced by the Veterans Administration. It took me one week to get a copy of my DD214 to qualify for VA medical card.

You must be Army or Air Force. The Navy has managed to botch both mine and Mutti's 214's. My attempts to pull my records have revealed all kinds of issues. Fortunately, the very first week after I was discharged I went down to the county courthouse and registered my 214. At least I have a back up option should I every need verification. If I remember correctly in Mutti's case they never issued a corrected 214 after she was called up for Desert Shield. Important should she want to qualify for VFW membership.

Vets Suffer as DD214 Errors Increase

Dana Cushing as a Marine served two tours of duty in Iraq and a third in east Africa, but when she returned home, she found herself labeled a "conscientious objector" and also was denied medical care by the government.

ND
Imagine if you were say, an intelligence operator that while behind an official enemy line became aware of certain facts meriting whistleblowing....what do you think happens to that persons identity, reputation, businesses, family...et al?

I know full well that these people are among the highest quality of Oathkeeping material but have been burnned by the corporate machine because of attacks of conscience reconciled by oaths to a higher ideal.

Before those of you that read THIS post even begin to consider any merits of it I ask you to read the official mission statement of the office of Naval intelligence, and yes, find it on your own.
After that, if you haven't caught my intent, ask yourself WHO they are officially considering "customers" for thier entire aparatus.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome

I thought it was worth pointing out the importance of this discussion, because the "official stance" of the "Oathkeepers organization" is being discussed in other libertarian circles, and already there are people concluding more about Oathkeepers than what the core of Oathkeepers is about.  Here's a thread from the PA LP forums, where someone linked an opinion blog about Oathkeepers:

http://www.lppa.org/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,60/topic,33917.0/

Here's the article being discussed:  http://theinternationallibertarian.blogspot.com/2009/05/oaths-war-and-liberty.html

The article points to the testimonial of an Oathkeeper who clearly believes in interventionist foreign policy.

Unfortunately, further examination quickly revealed another side of this organization. While they advocate liberty and respect for the Constitution they also support the US government's imperial wars. It is not possible to be pro war and empire, on the one hand, and pro liberty at the same time. One must choose one or the other.

The pro war and pro empire side is revealed when one clicks on the links in the blog post, "Shout Our Oaths In The Tyrant's Face- Washington D.C., June 13, 2009", a call to celebrate an alleged victory in Iraq. The first link is to Gathering of Eagles. On their page titled Our Mission point number 9 states, "We will accept nothing less than total, unqualified victory in the current conflict. Surrender is not an option, nor is defeat." The freedom hating Neoconservatives couldn't have said it better. The truth is that ending an aggressive war overseas isn't surrender or defeat, it is good sense. It is the only way to live in peace with the world.

So, because one person included a neo-con link in their testimonial, some people are already making the leap that Oathkeepers is neo-con.  It's not fair and not true, of course.  But I thought everyone should know that the nature of "the oathkeepers organization" is already being called into question because of the stated opinions of some individual Oathkeepers.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

da gooch

• Moderator Group

Thanks Klapton.

I'll see that it gets forwarded on to HQ .... Stewart.

I think the "Shout out our Oaths...." post is one of Stewart's.

Stay Safe,

gooch

III

Oldsoldier

Good morning, All.
 I'm one of those thousands who wrote to Stewart asking how to "join". I finally navigated my way through the various threads and found myself here. After having read all the previous posts I think that most everyone has good ideas, but, as with all "committees" or "bureaucracies" it takes too long to get anything done and the results are often less than one might desire. Although I applaud the request for input, at some point someone (Stewart?) will have to take the bull by the horns and make a decision. I took my oath many, many years ago and still consider myself an "Oath Keeper". I have been actively researching our government since 1978 and speaking out publicly every time I uncover another assault on the constitution. Regardless of the direction taken by this organization I always have been, and always will be, an Oath Keeper.
 If I can help in any way please call on me.
Oldsoldier
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Ben Franklin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up