The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Was at a local gun shop Today..  (Read 11389 times)

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • Moderator Group
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
Re: Was at a local gun shop Today..
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 10:56:48 am »

How big a battery are we talking about to propel an "arrow" [bolt ?] at speeds approaching rifle velocities ?

I like the idea a lot.  Provided I don't need a cart to move the battery that powers it.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 11:43:03 am »

How big a battery are we talking about to propel an "arrow" [bolt ?] at speeds approaching rifle velocities ?

I like the idea a lot.  Provided I don't need a cart to move the battery that powers it.

The coils would not be powered directly by the battery, as a battery could not dump energy
fast enough to make it work. What would be required is to store the power in a capacitor,
which would dump the power to coils operating in pairs, under the control of a PIC chip.
Between each set of coils would be a LED and photo detector to let the PIC chip know when
the projectile has arrived at that spot. That way, the device adapts it's timing to the projectile,
rather than guessing with a built in time delay.

If the coils are A, B, C, D, E, they would be operated in this order:
A
A + B,
B + C,
C + D,
D + E,
E

This works sort of like a systolic pump, only with coils and magnetic fields.

I have a qualitative handle on how to build this, but I need to do some research to get the coil
size and power requirements right.

Bear

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Who...me?

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 11:45:02 am »

“This is my second coil rifle, it has a firing energy of about 5 joules and it charges in about 10 seconds. the power source is the 12V 3.5AH SLA batery. This supplies the power to the 12v-240v inverter that provides the 240v requiered by the rectifacation circut. The 400v output from this circut is used to charge the two 400v 2200uF capacitors used to supply the energy to the work coil. it is capable of shooting through multiple soda cans.”

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/01/27/top-5-coil-guns/
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 12:51:44 pm »

Not bad performance for such little power.

1 joule = 0.7376 foot-pounds; 9 joules = 6.638 foot pounds. (from wikipedia)

Considering that a lot of common ammo is measured in hundreds of foot pounds
at the muzzle, this thing will need to be scaled up considerably. It may be that the
user would need to fill a capacitor pack like filling a magazine ahead of time.

Either that or it's a crew-served weapon with it's own generator.  :rolleyes:

Bear

This could lead to some real idiocy: "Son, we're charging you with possesion of
excess charge capacity. No one needs that many coulombs for private use!"

-- Bear

Who...me?

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »

This could lead to some real idiocy: "Son, we're charging you with possesion of
excess charge capacity. No one needs that many coulombs for private use!"

:sign10:
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • Moderator Group
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 01:33:55 pm »

“This is my second coil rifle, it has a firing energy of about 5 joules and it charges in about 10 seconds. the power source is the 12V 3.5AH SLA batery. This supplies the power to the 12v-240v inverter that provides the 240v requiered by the rectifacation circut. The 400v output from this circut is used to charge the two 400v 2200uF capacitors used to supply the energy to the work coil. it is capable of shooting through multiple soda cans.”

"Page Load Error"

Network timeout ....

http://hackedgadgets.com/

Ditto ....
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 10:32:54 am »

"Page Load Error"

Network timeout ....

http://hackedgadgets.com/

Ditto ....

The page loaded fine for me just now.

I've looked at this sort of thing before,  and am rather dubious about the whole idea,  at least with current technology.  I recall seeing one other page where a guy had a fairly large and serious capacitor bank to drive the thing,  not something that you'd want to carry around with you,  never mind the power source to charge the thing up.

There are things where miniaturization makes sense,  where you can get the same or better functionality with smaller and lighter and cheaper parts,  but I don't see this as being one of those situations unfortunately.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 10:55:39 am »

and am rather dubious about the whole idea,  at least with current technology.

Roy,

I think the weak link is the charge storage technology. I think the other issues can be solved,
or have been solved.

Bear

-- Bear

Disavowed spook

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:07 am »

This is an incremental stepup from what is already in place to track most forms of explosives.
Within nearly all explosive materials are micro polymers in specfic combinations or colors or compositions which can be used to identify the explosive, the manufacturer, and even batch used. Upon ignition these micro particles are dispatched in teh immediate area and literally cover everything in proximity.
This was done decades ago to facilitate tracing pipebombs made with gunpowder, etcetera....
Serial numbers on brass is simply a faster, less involved mode of tracking that opens the door for licensing ammunition purchases and prosecuting "straw" ammunition sales.
Couple this suggestion with what is before the Senate requiring private reloaders to get federal licenses or become criminals.....

Incrimentalism folks.

Please don't post "well if ya got nothing to hide....." 'cause that isn't the point.

Disavowed Spook,

What do you think of coil guns? (In case you're not familiar with them. They use a magnetic field to
accelerate a ferromagnetic projectile down a tube.) No powder, no primer, no brass, and probably
quieter than a traditional firearm.

Bear

I'm gonna suppose  a "coil gun" is a rail gun...
What I think of rail guns is ALOT. Nikola Tesla is the most suppressed inventor in human history,..oddly his inventions and concepts have probably spawwned an entire division in the US patent office and still account for black budgets.
I'm of the opinion that projectiles all together are a thing of the past and increasingly military control measures are unveiled that are energy and particle beams.
I prefer to use cedar arrows and a stick bow for hunting, so I won;t be lugging a battery pack or coil gun into the woods..but if were going to crack a safe I'd consider railgun or EM technology to separate the metal shell.

Mad Wet Hen

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »

I checked the website you gave and my state isn't on the list anywhere. Wonder if they passed a form of that law.
A nice little PDF put together by restoretherepublic.com that is of interest to this thread.

http://restoretherepublic.com/pdf/ammunition-accountability.pdf[/size][/b][/i]
I have GOD and GUTS one thing left to go.
God protect my little girl soldier as she does what she thinks is right. Keep her safe in the monthes to come as she prepares to go over seas at the will of teptb please make sure that he that sends them odes his part by making sure they have all the equipment and food they need. AMEN.

Freedom Prevails

• Let us pray that Freedom does Prevail!!!
  • This says it all!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »

If this was to become reality, " My fear, which is quickly becoming a reality, is that there will be a total confiscation of all firearms from Americans" would we not find more people turning to chemical weapons?

Bernie

• 3rd Herd
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 02:15:56 pm »

HERF Weapon  A microwave oven and a dish.  Other versions with PVC pipe and capacitor banks are in vouge too.  The web is a wonderful thing. :violent4:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:17:00 pm by Bernie »

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 12:58:27 pm »

"Warning! Warning! Will Robinson!"

Frequency matters. The microwave oven frequency (2 to 3 cm band if I recall) is designed to
COOK, and will cook anything with water in it (ie, people).

The HERF less-lethal-weapon of DARPA fame operates in the 2 to 3 MILLIMETER band.

This is significant. The microwave penetration is a function of the wavelength. Your microwave
oven produces radio frequency waves that are much more damaging than the DARPA HERF
weapon, because the DARPA device will just penetrate deep enough to stimulate your nerves
related to pain (make you think you're cooking) whereas the longer waves of the oven will
penetrate deeper and actually cook you.

While the idea of 'fixing' the stereo of some lout is appealing, the unintended consequences
of using such a device can be pretty damn severe.

</soap_box>

Bear

-- Bear

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 11:40:13 am »

Good point,  Bear.

The above link didn't work for me.  this one did,  though.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Scratch

• The camera never blinks.
    • Tricorn Hat
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:17 pm »

This is an incremental stepup from what is already in place to track most forms of explosives.
Within nearly all explosive materials are micro polymers in specfic combinations or colors or compositions which can be used to identify the explosive, the manufacturer, and even batch used. Upon ignition these micro particles are dispatched in teh immediate area and literally cover everything in proximity.
This was done decades ago to facilitate tracing pipebombs made with gunpowder, etcetera....
Serial numbers on brass is simply a faster, less involved mode of tracking that opens the door for licensing ammunition purchases and prosecuting "straw" ammunition sales.
Couple this suggestion with what is before the Senate requiring private reloaders to get federal licenses or become criminals.....

Incrimentalism folks.

Please don't post "well if ya got nothing to hide....." 'cause that isn't the point.

I agree. Those who think they have nothing to hide will soon have nothing theycan hide.
'the greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.'

Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up