The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Molly  (Read 2942 times)

Augustwest

Molly
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:53:33 am »

I was crying when I did it, just like I am now.

Don't ask me how I know, but John Ross ain't the only guy who's shed tears over his loss...
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Scarmiglione'

Molly
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:09:37 pm »

As many dog lovers as there are around here, with all of us facing similar circumstances in the future, there's probably a river's worth.

I sent him a short note to recognize his courage and compassion.  Such actions deserve support in this day of diluted responsibility and absent honor.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
Molly
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 12:16:20 pm »

Damn...I just had to read this while at work...

I only hope I would be brave enough to do that when the time came.
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Molly
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 12:22:12 pm »

My own heart dog is Molly's age. I, too, hope I'd have that much courage.

Didn't know John Ross had such kindness in him.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Kirsten

Molly
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 12:27:59 pm »

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:40:18 pm by Kirsten »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Molly
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 01:01:58 pm »

I would like to point out that shooting a dog isn't the only option if one does not wish to have the dog put down in an impersonal and frightening environment of a clinic.  Home euthanization is an option:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArt...le/id-2536.html
Very true. The vet has euthanized my dogs on the lawn behind her clinic. Terrible as it is to have to do it, I've been moved by how gentle the process is. Every time I think, I hope someone makes it that easy for me when my time comes.

I've also known people who shot their own dogs, and -- doing it lovingly as Ross did -- they had no regrets and the dogs didn't seem to suffer.

Given a choice, though, you know the chemicals are going to be painless and peaceful.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 01:04:23 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Kirsten

Molly
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 01:23:54 pm »

« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 05:26:54 pm by Kirsten »

A Nonny Mouse

Molly
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 05:04:04 pm »

I'm not much of a dog person but even I teared up over this.

I lost my 18 year old cat this past December to congestive heart failure. I wish her passing would have been as peaceful as Molly's was. Due to a cold-hearted veterinary bureaucracy she died struggling and in pain. I still have nightmares.  
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~ River Tam, "Serenity"

http://friggasfensalir.blogspot.com

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
Molly
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 05:37:38 am »

I grew up with my first dog, Henry.  Due to being raised with 4 rambunctuous, wrestling boys, Henry (a beagle mix) grew to a hefty 26 lbs.  All 26 lbs were muscle.  I remember at one vet checkup, the doc commenting that our dog was nothing but muscle and bones.  In the bodybuilding world, he would have been referred to as 'cut' as you could see every muscle under his jet black coat.

Henry eventually got cancer.  Not wanting him to suffer any longer, my brother shot him.  I'll never forget seeing that happen.  I miss my buddy Henry, but I'm glad that he no longer suffers in pain.

God bless our four-legged friends.

Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
Molly
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 04:32:35 pm »

I'd love to empathize, having been through the death of loyal and loved pets before, but what it this in reference to?  Is there an article?  A link I'm missing?
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

kbarrett

Molly
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 05:27:23 pm »

I'd love to empathize, having been through the death of loyal and loved pets before, but what it this in reference to?  Is there an article?  A link I'm missing?
Click here, and scroll down a page or so.

The psychology of “Projection”:  If you want to run people’s lives for them, then you will probably assume that any armed person wants to do the same to you. Scratch a victim-disarmament supporter, and you will always discover a fear-ridden control-freak.

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
Molly
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 06:18:22 pm »

O God.
O God I miss my old dog.
Life is too goddamned short.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Mostly Harmless

Molly
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 08:39:05 pm »

A friend of mine recently had to euthanise her cat of 18 years. The vet came to their house, and  Snoopycat got a last snuggle with my friend and her husband before taking his final nap in her arms.  Her husband buried him under his favorite tree in their yard.

My cat's 19 1/2.  So far she seems healthy enough, but realistically we're only talking a year or two. She's been with me through one hell of a lot.

I read the John Ross column at work -- had to blame my non-existant allergies for my red eyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up