The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 254   Go Down

Author Topic: Twinkies  (Read 330628 times)

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Twinkies
« on: September 23, 2004, 04:25:52 pm »

Well, I guess everyone has heard by now that the company that makes Twinkies is filing for Chapter 11.  Anyone who stocks twinkies for their SHTF stash (can't beat the shelf life) should make a run on them now.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Twinkies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 05:30:00 pm »

Anyone who stocks Twinkies for their SHTF stash ... do you dare come out publicly and admit it?

Well, at least if you ever go postal and become a Lone Nut with Guns, you'll have a ready-made legal defense.  :lol:  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Mos2

Twinkies
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 06:21:50 pm »

Well, I guess everyone has heard by now that the company that makes Twinkies is filing for Chapter 11.  Anyone who stocks twinkies for their SHTF stash (can't beat the shelf life) should make a run on them now.
Oh No! What are the cockroaches going to eat after the nuclear war?  :D  

Alton Speers

Twinkies
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 06:23:20 pm »

So Twinkies finally went belly up, eh? I suppose Ding Dongs also went limp. It's gonna be real rough for some when they can no longer find their favorite Ho-Ho's at the local corner stop. It's no wonder with the Atkins and South Beach diets sweeping the nation the bakeries didn't have a snowball's chance in hades.

Alton

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Twinkies
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 10:09:34 pm »

So Twinkies finally went belly up, eh? I suppose Ding Dongs also went limp. It's gonna be real rough for some when they can no longer find their favorite Ho-Ho's at the local corner stop. It's no wonder with the Atkins and South Beach diets sweeping the nation the bakeries didn't have a snowball's chance in hades.

Alton
Oooooh! This could be an opportunity for some small ancap entrepreneur: The Underground Twinkie Factory! So maybe there's not enough production to support Twinkie Inc. But there's probably more than enough of a market for cakey, bready, sticky goo to make an Outlaw rich. And once "they" make carbohydrates illegal, you can even be a Twinkie kingpin!

Claire
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Docliberty

Twinkies
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 11:44:31 pm »

Anyone who stocks Twinkies for their SHTF stash ... do you dare come out publicly and admit it?

Of coarse!  Just look at what they dig up from landfills.  Twinkies, hot dogs, these things are still intact after years buried in the worst storage conditions possible.  Think how long they would last with a little bit of care.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
Twinkies
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:04:39 am »

Well, yeah, but twinkies can't even support bacterial life, what makes you think they can support human life?  <_<  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Docliberty

Twinkies
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 07:05:26 am »

Well, yeah, but twinkies can't even support bacterial life, what makes you think they can support human life? dry.gif

If humans couldn't live off of them, half of the cops in this country would already be dead.
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
Twinkies
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 07:43:50 am »

If humans couldn't live off of them, half of the cops in this country would already be dead.

Don't say that!  They'll try to pass an Assault Twinkie Ban!
Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

Alton Speers

Twinkies
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 08:59:51 am »

Claire,

Oooooh! This could be an opportunity for some small ancap entrepreneur: The Underground Twinkie Factory! So maybe there's not enough production to support Twinkie Inc. But there's probably more than enough of a market for cakey, bready, sticky goo to make an Outlaw rich. And once "they" make carbohydrates illegal, you can even be a Twinkie kingpin!

Actually thought of that already or at least something close. Mrs Speers is  a bona fide überbaker deluxe. I'm barely-moving proof of her handiwork! Her tasty treats can bring the most dedicated dieter to their knees. Pastries are her forté. On her worst day she still could not sink to the level of a Twinkie. However, she has been known to make eclaires that have been regulated or banned in 37 states due to their ability to induce diabetic comas. :P

Hyperbole (is it?) aside, she's a damned good baker. And you're right, people (gulchers and outlanders) will need and want baked goods and she has all the equipment necessary to provide baked goods. My only concern has been a source of flour. I mill wood not flour. Sugars, yeasts and oils are easy enough to come by in darn near any situation but flour requires a miller. Flour is necessary even for simple flat breads. Of course, that's another opportunity for another outlaw.

Alton

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Twinkies
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 09:32:55 am »

Flour is necessary even for simple flat breads. Of course, that's another opportunity for another outlaw.

Absolutely! (BTW, your post made me hungry as all get out.) Fortunately wheat is easy to store  and many good SHTF survival stocks include at least small electric or hand-powered mills. But better yet for Twinike Queenpin purposes, even big mills aren't exactly high-tech operations. A few stones, a few gears, a river or a team of donkeys & you got it.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
Twinkies
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 09:57:17 am »

Er uh..........I was thinking more of a scene from the movie "Conan the Barbarian", and having our friendly politicians, both democrats and republicans chained to "the wheel of pain", thus providing a real "public service" for a change*evil grin*
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
Twinkies
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 10:08:21 am »

I bought some twinkies the day before I started this thread.  The expiration date on the package was printed Oct12 52.  That's a good long while for anything to last.  They may not be healthy, but they taste pretty good.  

Actually, stashing twinkies as SHTF food, was a joke, but not a hugely bad idea.  I wouldn't want to eat them every day as the main staple of my diet, but a sugary treat on occasion is not a bad thing.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Twinkies
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 12:14:47 pm »

Er uh..........I was thinking more of a scene from the movie "Conan the Barbarian", and having our friendly politicians, both democrats and republicans chained to "the wheel of pain", thus providing a real "public service" for a change*evil grin*
Oooooh, I like it. Well, there's Mrs. Speers' flour mill, Alton. Problem solved -- and politicians made useful for perhaps the first time in human history.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
Twinkies
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 01:13:11 pm »

Well, yeah, but twinkies can't even support bacterial life, what makes you think they can support human life? dry.gif

Wait, wait, I said *human* life. But let me savor the thought for a moment anyway....
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 254   Go Up