When the SHTF
- 1 (3.2%)
Soon, but "things keep coming up"
- 10 (32.3%)
When I win the lottery
- 8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: GET OFF YOUR ASS & MOVE TO A MORE-FREE STATE NOW, NOT A YEAR OR THREE FROM NOW!  (Read 33931 times)

RightArmOfWyoming

• FREEDOM LOVER IN WYOMING
    • RADIO FREE NESTLANDIA - The voice of a two-person nation in Wyoming

(I wrote this as a response on an open carry thread, but realized after I wrote it, it's more about the idea of "GET OFF YOUR ASS AND MOVE NOW, NOT A YEAR OR THREE FROM NOW!" so I thought I'd start a new thread.)
--------------------------------------

I live in NJ....no way an average law abiding citizen can get a ccw.  Open Carry is simply out of the question.  I WILL be looking to relocate to a state that respects the 2nd amendment in the next few years.  I HATE NJ!

I keep seeing this "in a few years." I'm not picking on Fred911. I've seen this thought from many people on several forums. I used to see it from myself. My question is WHY WAIT?

I started thinking about moving to Wyoming six months ago. We're visiting and looking at rentals and jobs next week (been there before, love it).

We haven't pledged to FSW (though they're great folks, and we look forward to being their friends and neighbors). We'd rather "vote with our feet" than pledge and never move.

We're putting our house in SoCal up for sale, and moving to Wyoming by winter, sooner if we can find a place we like. If we can't find a place we like, we will find a place we don't like, get a month-to-month lease and find a better place once we're there. (We're gonna rent there until our house sells.)

Wife quit a great job of 15 years, with good benefits, to move. (We turned into uninsured pumpkins at midnight on Friday, two nights ago, and feel fine about it.)

Anyway, my loving and respectful tough-love suggestion to anyone who wants to hear it is STOP WAITING! STOP SAYING "IN A FEW YEARS"!

At first we were thinking, "We'll move in a year or two, save up more money, do it comfortably." But finally realized, that we'd likely never do it then. It's like that old saying goes, "YOU CANNOT CROSS A CHASM IN TWO SMALL LEAPS."

MWD
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:51:37 am by MichaelWDean »
I enjoy following politics. Sort of like how some people like football, but both teams suck.
--
"RIGHT ARM OF WYOMING" - libertarian punk rock band
http://www.libertarianpunk.com/2010/01/free-feisty-libertarian-punk-rock-mp3s-for-our-readers/

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight

Give me 10,000$ and I will.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

RightArmOfWyoming

You know, if I were totally broke, it would be even easier to move. I used to move states away on a whim with nothing but a messenger bag and a Greyhound bus ticket. That was the case with all my moves until five years ago.

My last move was the first that required a car. This will be the first one that requires a bobtail truck.

MWD
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:47:54 am by MichaelWDean »
I enjoy following politics. Sort of like how some people like football, but both teams suck.
--
http://www.libertarianpunk.com/2010/01/free-feisty-libertarian-punk-rock-mp3s-for-our-readers/

RightArmOfWyoming

Give it to you? If that's your attitude, you probably wouldn't enjoy a more-free state!
--

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight

Give it to you? If that's your attitude, you probably wouldn't enjoy a more-free state!

I think every member goes through this stage at some point. Frustration at inaction. Trying to get others to do something.

I don't actually want you to give me money. I'd gladly work for it, but that's not the point.

The point is that many of us have obligations. Family. Jobs. Security. Things that cannot easily be left behind. Things that tie us down. It's easy to say "Go do this now! Before it's too late!" But life is rarely that simple. If it were, we'd all have done it. I'd have done it. As much as I would like to move to Montana, it's not realistic, regardless of politics. I have family here, a home, a life (pathetic as it may be.) Things that I am not willing to throw away for the uncertainty of hitchhiking to Montana with little more than a backpack, my dog, and 100$.

RightArmOfWyoming

The point is that many of us have obligations. Family. Jobs. Security. Things that cannot easily be left behind. Things that tie us down. It's easy to say "Go do this now! Before it's too late!" But life is rarely that simple. If it were, we'd all have done it. I'd have done it. As much as I would like to move to Montana, it's not realistic, regardless of politics. I have family here, a home, a life (pathetic as it may be.) Things that I am not willing to throw away for the uncertainty of hitchhiking to Montana with little more than a backpack, my dog, and 100$.

I used to be a heroin addict. I was far lower than broke. (been sober 15 years now.) I used to want to get clean. But when people would suggest it, even offer to pay for rehab, I would always say "I will, soon, but if I go into rehab this week, I'll lose my apartment (girlfriend, band, job, cat, etc. etc.)

An old ex-junkie finally told me "If you keep using, you'll lose all that stuff anyway." I didn't believe him, but he was right. I did. Lost everything. 

Eventually I was homeless, and went into rehab (a no-frills free one, not the nicer one someone had previously offered to pay for, that ship had sailed.) I kicked, and slowly started over.

My point is that people are often addicted to their ruts. Even if they think their ruts are "pathetic", they are comfortably predictable.

I'm saying this as tough love, brother.

MWD
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:05:04 am by MichaelWDean »
--

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight

My point is that people are often addicted to their ruts. Even if they think their ruts are "pathetic", they are comfortably predictable.

I'm saying this as tough love, brother.

MWD

Oh absolutely. It's why we are in the mess we are in: it's far easier to stay in your quiet place than to venture into the unknown. Far easier to kowtow to the masters than it is to rebel against them. I'm just saying that to me, personally, my ties to Colorado outweigh the potential and long term benefits of moving elsewhere.
I can understand your enthusiasm to change peoples minds. Some people lose that enthusiasm (like me) and some keep trying. I've also read some of your previous posts and appreciate your polite yet honest response.

I guess what I am trying to say is this: Those that are going to move will do so, those that are not, will not, until (if ever) they are ready.

RightArmOfWyoming

I can understand your enthusiasm to change peoples minds. Some people lose that enthusiasm (like me) and some keep trying. I've also read some of your previous posts and appreciate your polite yet honest response.

Thank you.

MWD
--

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.

Thats easy for you.

You've got courage!
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome

Our house goes up on the market as soon as we finish painting.  We hope to find and be on our land in western Montana before winter.  I waited to retire from the Army Reserve before moving.  I hope our FRNs will still be able to buy livestock next spring.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Texasbound

My house is in the process of being fixed up to sell as we speak.  Hope to list it this summer.  I would like to be able to move by next spring.  I have been working towards this goal for a while now.  Have already bought the land I plan to move to, just need to get out of all the obligations I have now.  I agree with Ire that not all of us can just up and jump to somewhere else.  It would actually set my plans back many years, not push them ahead.  As long as you make a realistic plan, make a few sacrifices then stick to it then you are on the right path.  I had the 3 year plan, and am on my second year.  I have mostly stuck to the plan with a few small hiccups.  If all keeps going as it is, I will actually meet my goals.  Good luck to all of you doing the same.

RightArmOfWyoming

Thats easy for you.

You've got courage!

Dude, your inspiration, and courage in life, was part of what lit the fire under my butt!

MWD
--

RightArmOfWyoming

My house is in the process of being fixed up to sell as we speak.  Hope to list it this summer.  I would like to be able to move by next spring.  I have been working towards this goal for a while now.  Have already bought the land I plan to move to, just need to get out of all the obligations I have now.  I agree with Ire that not all of us can just up and jump to somewhere else.  It would actually set my plans back many years, not push them ahead.  As long as you make a realistic plan, make a few sacrifices then stick to it then you are on the right path.  I had the 3 year plan, and am on my second year.  I have mostly stuck to the plan with a few small hiccups.  If all keeps going as it is, I will actually meet my goals.  Good luck to all of you doing the same.

Excellent.
--

RightArmOfWyoming

Our house goes up on the market as soon as we finish painting.  We hope to find and be on our land in western Montana before winter.  I waited to retire from the Army Reserve before moving.  I hope our FRNs will still be able to buy livestock next spring.

Excellent.
--

RightArmOfWyoming

To anyone who would do it, but is only waiting for the house to sell, there is the possibility of moving, renting in your new location, then putting your house on the market in the original (less-free) state. Then when it sells, buying a house in the more-free location. This has a lot of advantages, including getting to know the more-free state more, so you'll also have a better plan of where you want to own a house.

And it's a lot easier to sell an empty house than one you're living in. The potential buyers have an easier time picturing the place as theirs if it's empty than if it's full of your stuff. But if you're selling it while living there, have the realtor show it, and you go out to dinner or something. It bums potential buyers out to have the owner at the house tapping his foot. Or especially if you have kids, even if they're into the move, kids can easily transmit a vibe of "Stop walking around in my house! It's not your house, it's our house!"

Some realtors will even take care of getting people to fix the place up for you to sell. Sometimes for an additional fee, sometimes not, if they're really hot to sell your house. Can't hurt to ask. A lot of realtors who sell property but also handle rentals have a Rolodex of tradesmen they know and trust who work good and work cheap. (Especially in this economy.)

I would recommend keeping insurance (fire, vandalism, earthquake, flood) on the house up to date while selling, and also liability insurance. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems if someone hurt themselves on your property (say, while breaking in), they might be able to sue. (Especially in a less-free state!)

There's also the thought of renting out the less-free-state house for a year or so, but that's hoping the economy will get better, not worse. We thought about it, but decided to just get the realtor to get people in here fixing it up as soon as we're out, and put it on the market.

One tiny perk of HOAs (and you know how much I hate them) is our that HOA is painting all the houses this summer. So when it goes on the market, our house will look brand new outside (from them) and inside (from the people the realtor is getting).

MWD
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:13:51 am by MichaelWDean »
--
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up