The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When Insomnia strikes (Wool jacket)  (Read 6447 times)

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
When Insomnia strikes (Wool jacket)
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:40:01 am »

I was just settling down to sleep after 18 hours awake when an idea struck: make some wool mittens.

Well, the mittens didn't work out so well, but I did manage to make a decent light jacket using an old wool blanket and a BDU jacket as a template.
Here's the results:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5287/picture12r.jpg
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3/picture13u.jpg
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8003/picture14z.jpg

Sleeves ended up a lot bigger than I wanted, but thats better than having them too small.

I'm going to double stitch everything with heavy duty nylon thread later. I was thinking about redoing the sleeves, but I'll probably just end up ruining it, so I don't think I will.

-Edit-
Fixed title
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:02:55 am by Ire »
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
Re: When Isomnia strikes (Wool jacket)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 07:55:44 am »

Not bad.
It looks like something I would put together.

It seems like a great field type coat.
What did you use for buttons?
My tastes run towards these; http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/celtic-button-knot.html
You could use para-cord, or leather, and it would be non-reflective.
The down side is you would really need a button holer feature on your sewing machine.

My experience with makeing and using cloths like your coat is that they turn me into LEO bait.
Now that I get regular exersice for my natural rights, such things are avoided.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:15:01 am »

What did you use for buttons?

My experience with makeing and using cloths like your coat is that they turn me into LEO bait.

Just simple metal rings. Small ones on the left side, larger snap rings on the right.
I guess it looks too hobo-ish? Dunno. It's not pretty but it works.

I was thinking about buttons, I have some, but it is also a lot more difficult than just shoving rings through.

Zookeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:15 am »

Your jacket looks just like somthing my Grandkids would wear. If it was black I know they would. Dam Good Job.

socalserf

Re: When Insomnia strikes (Wool jacket)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:05:59 am »

Ire, I do like it.
It really does remind me of some of my projects, although yours looks better than mine would.

I would certainly use that jacket, wool is great in the outdoors.
~Author unknown to me

amagi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:39 pm »

Long sleeves are a good idea.  You can roll them up if they are in the way and roll them down to cover your cold hands.

I am not quit grasping how the rings work as buttons, but I REALLY like the look of them.

That meterial would lend itsself well to a yolk type colar. 
Over all I like it much.  I have a bunch of blankets I got cheap here and there for just such a project.  Of course, I never got to them.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:49:04 am »

I am not quit grasping how the rings work as buttons, but I REALLY like the look of them.

That meterial would lend itsself well to a yolk type colar. 
The large silver rings snap open, Like you might use to bind sheets of paper.

What's a yolk collar? Google yielded no results, unfortunately.
I was pleased and surprised to find the collar I used works quite well (Doesn't look half bad either) I was afraid it would be too thick, as I made it double layered, but it actually works nice.

I'm planning to buy another blanket, and some heavy duty nylon thread, and make another jacket, and hopefully find someone here or elsewhere to sell it to. Also planning on figuring out the mittens. Possibly a hand sewing kit for buttons.
Wool jackets on amazon run pretty expensive, I was surprised. I'm sure they are nicer than any I could make, at least until I get more practice.

amagi

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:26:05 am »

Collar is a misnomer.  The yolk goes across the top of shoulders.  On a dress shirt, it is the part imediately under the colar before the back of the shirt starts. 
I was thinking of a yolk much larger than those on shirts. Covering the whole front and back of the shoulder. So there is no seam on the top of the shoulder. 
Does someone else know the proper name of what I am trying to describe so he can google it for pictures?
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

socalserf

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:32:08 pm »

Collar is a misnomer.  The yolk goes across the top of shoulders.  On a dress shirt, it is the part imediately under the colar before the back of the shirt starts. 
I was thinking of a yolk much larger than those on shirts. Covering the whole front and back of the shoulder. So there is no seam on the top of the shoulder. 
Does someone else know the proper name of what I am trying to describe so he can google it for pictures?

You might mean,"One-piece cape over shoulders."
Like this?
http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2092470

Or the WOOLRICH CLASSIC STAG JACKET?
(One of my favorites.)
~Author unknown to me

Faydra6

• Trust in God and keep your powder dry
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »

When ever I get insomnia I do knit, but only because it puts me right to sleep for some reason!
Paranoia is the rational response to reality.

gaurdduck

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:43 pm »

I'd like one of these:
http://a1armysurplus.com/images/pea%20coat.jpg

In this materiel:
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=3740-004-010&Category_Code=200-200-000
With rabbit skins as an inside layer. (It gets pretty cold where I'm spending my next winter.)

With these Buttons:
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CCTP&Product_Code=5533-041-018&Category_Code=520-600-000

Top it off with this hat:
http://www.silvermoccasin.com/popup_image.php?pID=299&osCsid=dd473dab23f47303938b229
(I'd make it myself rather than pay $200+ FRN's for it.)

I think I'd be nice and warm.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:42:35 pm »

When ever I get insomnia I do knit, but only because it puts me right to sleep for some reason!

A knitter? Like Elizabeth Zimmerman?

I cannot recommend her books more than saying "Borrow them" then buy them if you can! Wish I could have met the lady. mutti
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

gaurdduck

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:17 pm »

A knitter? Like Elizabeth Zimmerman?

I cannot recommend her books more than saying "Borrow them" then buy them if you can! Wish I could have met the lady. mutti

:laugh: I crochet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up