The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pressure tanks  (Read 2116 times)

Mad Wet Hen

Pressure tanks
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »

I was wondering if anyone here know how to make a pressure tank for a well? Mine blow the bladder and it is a sealed unit. I can't afford a new one. I don't have the skills or equipment to fix this one but I have a water heater that I could modify if I new more about pressure tanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have GOD and GUTS one thing left to go.
God protect my little girl soldier as she does what she thinks is right. Keep her safe in the monthes to come as she prepares to go over seas at the will of teptb please make sure that he that sends them odes his part by making sure they have all the equipment and food they need. AMEN.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
Re: Pressure tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:35:26 pm »

If the old pressure tank doesn't have an external leak, you could try just pumping some compressed air into the tank. Many of them have a Shcrader valve (like a tire fitting) that allows the operator to add air to the upper part of the tank (on top of the bladder). If there isn't one but you have the ability to modify it, you might be able to install a tire inflating stem to the top of the tank. You will need to add a few pounds air pressure to the top of tank with the water pressure turned off and the bleed valve on the bottom open so that the displaced water can drain out. A simple tank with a pressurized air bubble on top of the water will act as a pressure tank until you can replace the worn out unit. It will probably introduce some air bubbles into your water system, but there is nothing you can do about that. It's the reason bladder tanks were invented. If the bladder just has a small leak, you may be able to use it for a long time in this way with no noticeable effect on your water system. You will have to add air to the tank periodically, but that is the price of this "battlefield expedient" repair. Might try advertising/looking on something like Craig's List or in the classified adds since you can often buy used pressure tanks from someone who upgrades for very little money. Sometimes they will just be "free to a good home". Best of luck! :mellow:
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Mad Wet Hen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 06:49:56 pm »

Thanks. I tried to put air in it but the air keeps getting out the bladder must have ruptured completely. My Son said that I might be able to put some bicycle innertubes in a hot water tank then add some air so that it could build pressure. Does anyone know if that will work? If more then my son thinks it will work I will try it. I might have a hard time getting them in the tank and adding air but I will try the best I can.
I have GOD and GUTS one thing left to go.
God protect my little girl soldier as she does what she thinks is right. Keep her safe in the monthes to come as she prepares to go over seas at the will of teptb please make sure that he that sends them odes his part by making sure they have all the equipment and food they need. AMEN.

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:05:15 pm »

Ok, try this... drain the tank completely (well pump turned off). Then close the valves and turn the pum on and let it presurize the tank. The tank itslf should make a high spot that will trap the air in the tank and the water pressure will pressurize the air pocket. This will probably be enough of a buffer to let your system limp by for a while without running the pump on a short duty cycle (the purpose of the pressuer tank to begin with). If the pump still tries to run too often and for a very short time try adding air as before. Watch the pressure gauge and don't more than about 20 psi over the regulated pump pressure! This will hopefully keep you from blowing up any faucets or bursting pipes.
   If you need to add more air do it after relieving some of the pressure by opening a faucet or the drain valve on the tank for a minute to get the pressure back down to normal. You need just enough air to act as a buffer. The air compresses, the water doesn't. When the pressure drops the air will expand and keep most of it's pressure ( the water won't, the pressure drops too quickly and the pump cycled on momentarily to bring the pressure back up). By using the compressability of a gas (air) you can let your well pump cycle longer but less often. This is how the system was meant to function. If it still doesn't properly work after trying this you will simply need to replace the tank as it probably has an external leak as well, or has some "design feature" that prevents it from working if the bladder is ruptured.
   Hope this works, wish I could be of more help without being there in person.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up