The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Machete  (Read 9431 times)

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
Re: Machete
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 03:58:15 am »

Wouldn't differential hardening start stress cracks to form, that would mean having to reforge blades fairly frequently, right?    Also part of the charm of a machete looking like a tool is that you can probably have one setting in the trunk and the cops won't think twice.  The added thickness to the blade would make it look like SWORD! and trigger all those little actions you would want to avoid?

The woodsmans pal has some thickness to it, but looks like a tool.  A cutting chopping tool, but what are you cutting chopping with it?  Looks like bush and weeds for now.........  Real swords are on the list, but far down it for DEEP trouble (supervolcano eruption type deep).
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Who...me?

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2010, 03:03:09 pm »

Wouldn't differential hardening start stress cracks to form, that would mean having to reforge blades fairly frequently, right?    Also part of the charm of a machete looking like a tool is that you can probably have one setting in the trunk and the cops won't think twice.  The added thickness to the blade would make it look like SWORD! and trigger all those little actions you would want to avoid?

The woodsmans pal has some thickness to it, but looks like a tool.  A cutting chopping tool, but what are you cutting chopping with it?  Looks like bush and weeds for now.........  Real swords are on the list, but far down it for DEEP trouble (supervolcano eruption type deep).

Not at all. The Katana sword had differential hardening being harder at the blade and less so at the the back. The process of hardening gives it it's trade mark swerving line down the blade as well as its curve.

Read the Forging and construction section here as it can explain it better than I.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Katana

And the woodmans pal IS a tool.  While I am sure  great deal of damage could be done to someone with one it's primary use is for brush and such. If you want something for a weapon I would get something else.   
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 10:31:35 am »

The edge of a katana is uniformly the same hardness with the chnge moving back, but if the hardening varied along the edge........  That is what I was understanding from Bsmith's post.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Who...me?

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:12 am »

Ah ...my bad.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:21:05 am »

I tried out my Kukhri Machete yesterday on some dead trees that a former neighbor gave me to till into my soil for my garden.  One tree was actually two trees joined near the roots, so I chopped away at them using the machete, as well as the Bad Axe.  I had to work like a lumberjack to do it, but I got it done.  For a throwing weapon, the Bad Axe makes a pretty decent chopping tool.
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up