The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: And homeschooling is a bad idea why?!?!?!  (Read 5089 times)

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
And homeschooling is a bad idea why?!?!?!
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 06:55:47 am »

But right now I just wanted to share that only two particularly happy memories are coming up that I never would've had outside the public schools.

Only good experiences I had in high school, that couldn't be found easily outside school were in the marching band. Had a very fun time, and only non-school equivalent would be in a DCI Drum & Bugle Corp (which I also did).

Other than that, it was a boring nightmare, and I actually ended up dropping out.

Hasn't had a bad effect on my profession, either.

'Bug
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

NuclearDruid

Re: And homeschooling is a bad idea why?!?!?!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 08:12:23 am »

Homeschooling is a bad idea because it costs a fraction of public schooling, allows parents and children to work in their own best interests, and yields better academic results (on average) for those who choose to go down that path.

New Study Shows Homeschoolers Excel Academically

The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) has released a new study: the Progress Report 2009: Homeschool Academic Achievement and Demographics, conducted by Dr. Brian Ray of the National Home Education Research Institute, which surveyed 11,739 homeschooled students for the 2007-08 academic school year.

The results were consistent with previous studies on homeschool academic achievement and showed that homeschoolers, on average, scored 37 percentile points above public school students on standardized achievement tests.

The average public school spends nearly $10,000 per child per year whereas the Progress Report shows that the average homeschool parent spends about $500 per child per year.

Report       PDF warning.

ND
"GREAT COMEBACK FOR STOCK MARKET" - Front page, Spokane Daily Chronicle, October 22nd, 1929

"I believe it is the duty of each of us to act as if the fate of the world depended on him. Admittedly, one man by himself cannot do the job. However, one man can make a difference..." -Adm. Hyman G. Rickover

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:12:35 am »

Homeschooling is a bad idea because;
1. It robs the State of potential Sheeple.
2. It robs Public Employees Unions of power and money.
3. The children are never properly socialized Sheeple-ized.
4. Critical thinking and academic achievement are dangerous to TPTB.
5. Sound, loving families need to be eliminated.
6. We need to make sure that children get their medicine, and vaccines, by force if needed.
7. Only those in charge should be in charge.

For Gods sake, wake up people, the government is our friend, our friend, our friend......
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

debeez

• The Deadly Nightshade
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:42:42 am »

Although my story is not the best example...

Those of you who have kept up on our situation (see Bulletin Board - Fellow TMMer needs  a helping hand) my husband is now in drug court. We recently had a tracker, yes, a TRACKER at our house. He was nice enough. He didn't rampage through our stuff, just asked us to show him the house and made sure we didn't have any illicit substances (drugs, alcohol, or any paraphernalia used in the making of such things) and talked to us at length about some of the other participants in the drug court program. All of them are, as he put it "products of the Belton or Ray/Pec school system" - to which I replied while looking at my husband, "Another good reason to homeschool."

Very few of his fellow participants seem capable of more than the basic of skills...tying their shoes, taking baths, comprehending written instructions...if even that.
Christine
Auto-Didact, Writer, and General Malcontent
http://thedeadlynightshade.com/
http://homeschooladvocate.org
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up