The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a new one.  (Read 3848 times)

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
Got a new one.
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:17:24 am »

I have gained access ta 5gal containers.Veg oil prev contents.I believe they will make great Kero/primary and diesel/secondary.They will hold 35lbs of weight/a little ta heavy for humping,I do think they will make outstanding "long term" storage when cached.I was thinking "on-hand" at the BOL.

The rub is if they will hold "kero".They do have a/n"ldpe" rating.I have 3lt bottles that have held "kero" for 3yrs.These are "nice" and moreover "FREE". Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: Got a new one.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:25:22 am »

Kero?  As in kerosene?
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:27:17 am »

They do have a/n"ldpe" rating.

LDPE isn't a "rating",  it's what kind of plastic they're made out of -- Low Density PolyEthylene (same stuff as plastic bags).  The other kind is HDPE,  typically harder material.

Wikipedia has entries on this stuff:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDPE
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:59:03 pm »

Roy,I hit "l" instead of "h". Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:49:47 pm »

Roy,I hit "l" instead of "h". Ought 7.

HDPE is also what kinda plastic it is,  "high density" instead of "low"...

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

clarence

• sui juris, in propia persona
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:06 am »

go to a store that stocks fuel containers and look at the containers available in plastic. diesel are yellow and kerosene are blue (kero and diesel are almost the same thing). look at the bottom for the recycling emblem. (a number in a triangle) hdpe is 1.

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »

go to a store that stocks fuel containers and look at the containers available in plastic. diesel are yellow and kerosene are blue (kero and diesel are almost the same thing). look at the bottom for the recycling emblem. (a number in a triangle) hdpe is 1.

clarence

Interestingly enough, that's the same number in the recycling emblem on the bottles that the shampoo I use comes in.  I don't know why I know that...
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

gaurdduck

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:48:28 pm »

The containers I store my rice in are HDPE with a 2 in the triangle.
I was wondering if I could brew beer in them without it having a plastic taste?

clarence

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 01:28:46 am »

clarence

Interestingly enough, that's the same number in the recycling emblem on the bottles that the shampoo I use comes in.  I don't know why I know that...

i really should stop trying to do two different things while thinking about two others. hdpe is 2 for recycling.

The containers I store my rice in are HDPE with a 2 in the triangle.
I was wondering if I could brew beer in them without it having a plastic taste?

i think that is one of those 'maybe' questions. probably easier to stick with glass.

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

"Don't feel bad, most species of large mammal die off...it's just our turn." Herb Ruhs, MD

gaurdduck

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:32:27 am »

Hard to stick to something you never had.

clarence

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:44:31 am »

Hard to stick to something you never had.

ok, got me there. but plastics can get 'sticky'. 'food grade' means that a special mold release agent was used. as in, one that doesn't contaminate food. i read in a discussion that going to a bottled water distributor and asking if they have any old glass carboys left over is a good way to pick up fermenters for little or nothing.

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

gaurdduck

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 02:06:54 am »

I don't have a car either. So going to one of those is out.

clarence

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 02:44:17 am »

I don't have a car either. So going to one of those is out.

i haven't had a car for over 4 years. i ride a bicycle (i currently have 3 available) 24/7/365. add a trailer or use a 3 wheeler with a basket and haul all kinds of stuff. if there are any factories in your area that use acids in their process, many receive those acids in glass carboys and may give them away.

i have the advantage of time availability as i live a very low resource life. (i have a deal for housing and i don't spend much on other stuff) and though i'm addressing this to you, i'm also passing this through to anyone who might be interested.

clarence
je suis contre

tu ne cede malis

gaurdduck

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:19:58 am »

There are no sidewalks near my house, and no bike lanes in this town.
I am saving up for a moped though. The reason I was asking about these buckets, was that they cost $3.00 +/-.
The brew buckets from a brew shop cost about $20.00 +/-. Big difference. I can eat for a week on the difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up