The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: New book in the works  (Read 21640 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« on: October 31, 2003, 09:29:12 am »

If anybody's got any ideas for things they'd like to see in next year's new book, Self-Liberation 101, let me know.

This book replaces 101 Things and Don't Shoot. But I envision it as being more organized and less random than either of those -- a primer for liberty with chapter headings like "Maximizing Mindset," "The Purpose of Politics," "Puncturing Propaganda," "Effective Action," etc. I'm making the subjects up as I go along here, but I'd really like a book that leads people through logical stages of development in freedom, if such a thing is possible.

I'm not sure at this point how much focus will be on personal lifestyle issues and how much on the big picture of freedom activism. It's all very formless at this point, but needs to shape up pretty soon, since the publisher wants quick delivery.

Ideas welcome.  
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
New book in the works
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 09:37:47 am »

I am sad to report that I have yet to read the first two books. :( So, I'm rather unqualified to suggest anything for the new one.

Besides, it's too early for me to think. :D

--Jac
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 10:13:37 am »

Besides, it's too early for me to think. :D

:blink: Guess that's better than it being too late to think (which sometimes it sure seems it is).
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Hasher

New book in the works
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 06:20:01 pm »

Claire can I stick my dos centavos in here?

I would like ot see more stuf fon self reliance. LIke living of fthe grid. Mere resource rerences to things like canning, gardening, the underground economy, bartering.

Also a better firearms section. I liked the section with Parker and Jobbit had to say but I think others might give you better advice. Hunter comes to mind. So do I for tha tmatter. THe bit from Michael Harries was GREAT. It is unfortunate he passed away. He was on the right track with what he was telling you.

More about disapearing fromt he system would be good as well. The majority of us are in the system everywhere. How does one go about "flying lower" and beginning to avoid the radar? A set of progressive steps to gradually getting out of the system would be great.

Hasher

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 06:34:30 pm »

My two cents on firearms is this: there are plenty of good firearms books out there. Unless she decides she wants to be a bona fide firearms guru, which I suppose is posible, Claire has better things to do than restate things covered in more detail elsewhere. A brief item on why owning and knowing how to use firearms is all you really need. Refer people to "Boston's Gun Bible", "The Truth About Self Defence", "In the Gravest Extreme", and maybe a half dozen other titles, and save the valuable space for other things. I'd have to think a bit about what titles to recommend after those three, and probably argue endlessly with Hobbyt about my choices.

If people are going to listen to Claire about guns and actually follow up on it, they'll go get the more detailed works and learn a lot. If they ain't gonna listen, they're "food" for the first predator who shows up anyway, and nothing Claire can say is gonna save 'em from their own stupidity anyway.

I've put some thought into this over the years. I even go so far as to own a small selection of really cheap rifles - $50 yugoslavian mausers. Should some damn fool who could never be bothered to learn to shoot and practice up come to me and beg for a gun after the balloon goes up, I hand him one of those "cannon fodder specials" and a few boxes of surplus ammo. Good enough that he might actually do some good, but no great loss to me and the more responsible freedom lovers I have made plans with. Good trading stock to have around, too.  
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Jac

New book in the works
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 08:07:33 pm »

Okay, time for me to think, I suppose...

Definitely a section on Computers... Encryption, Internet for communication and as a knowledge resource, Linux :D , etc..

I agree with the esteemed gentleman from the FreeState... you should have a section on guns, sure; but, keep it general. "Why own a gun" and such. Then, refer readers to experts, leaving more room for as much information as can be packed into a book.

A book such as this should not specialize.
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 09:53:24 pm »

There's a gentleman from the Free State here? I always wanted to meet a gentleman...  :blink:  

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Jac

New book in the works
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 12:08:35 am »

Mebbe that was a bit strong... how about "That dude from NH"? <_<  
--PSM

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 05:02:13 am »

How did he put it? I work in New Hampshire, I am from outer space... I mean Kansas...  :blink:  

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
New book in the works
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 11:05:40 pm »

Claire,
Being a pauper myself, I have read none of your books.
Yet I can see no evil in talking about the idea of a debt free existance and perhaps spending a moment on the two classes of consumerism being:
"Earn then spend" which promotes independance and debt to no one.
and
"spend then earn" and well, I for one don't want to go there*grin*

Having grown up in a lower middle class household, it took me a long time to learn to "think" my way towards being free of debt and thus less dependant upon outside sources of income to make the payments for those debts.

And one will never be free if one is forced to go to work tomorrow to pay yesterday's debts.  
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

Locke

New book in the works
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 11:24:48 pm »

Add Andy Stanford's "Surgical Speed Shooting" to the list of recommended gun books. Good read; you can go through it quickly, then go back for detail after practice.  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 07:54:20 am »

Keep the great suggestions coming, guys! You've already thought of several good items that were nowhere near my TO DO list on this book. I'm also beginning to see the book's overall structure better as I read all the stuff you want to include.

Hunter and some others are right; rather than set myself up as an expert on anything (especially guns, about which I know about 1 percent as much as Hunter and some others on this list), I should come up with an overall "roadmap" (sorry to sound like GW Bush  :rolleyes: ), write some sparkling introductions to each topic that explain why mindset or economic self-sufficiency or whatever is part of the road to freedom, then recommend what the experts in those areas have already written -- the one or two or three best books or Web sites or commercial resources in each area.

This is good. Can't tell you how you're helping shape up this book and its topics.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 08:10:18 am »

Being a pauper myself, I have read none of your books.

Ah. Well, we'll have to throw you out of the forums, then.  ;)

"Earn then spend" which promotes independance and debt to no one.
and "spend then earn" and well, I for one don't want to go there*grin*

THIS topic, I'll definitely, definitely include. I grew up as you did -- lower middle, or more like "blue collar with high hopes" -- and rushed as fast as I could rush to get into debt. There were years in which I wore debt (and the pride of making payments) as a mantle. I spoke of "leverage" and "margins" and other such WSJ wisdom. Having a perfect credit rating meant more to me than having good friends. Then ... the trap. You begin to realize how pernicious personal debt is, but by then it's gotcha. And no matter how much you want to get out, the effort of getting free again is almost too much (and too long) to bear.

Finally being debt free is an enormous financial and psychological relief. But I suspect few people realize how important it can be to freedom, especially in this day when debt ties you to databases and "the system."

I can see some perfectly legitimate reasons for debt -- to build a business. To make certain investments. But to live our personal lives as debt slaves ... we don't know what harm we've done.

Amen, ZooT.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 08:10:48 am by Claire »

Scarmiglione'

New book in the works
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 09:00:40 am »

I think something that might be valuable would be to create a topic of goals, short-term and long-term, so that people searching for freedom can decide what level of freedom and convience they are at vs where they want to be.

So many people interested in freedom are simply confused about where to go, not just how to get there.  Being able to pick and choose from a selection of options and then modify those options would be a good thing for new people.

I'm reminded of when I first heard the concept of a bug-out bag.  I knew I liked the idea, but I didn't have any concept of what my goal was.  I ended up printing several lists from different people; everything from the 1 day supply bag to the 3 months on the run bag to the year in a basement bunker.  Having those options in front of me with their pros and cons listed out helped me to decide what my goal was (for the record a 3-week bag with 10 minute warning window).  I can see a similar concept for living freely.  Specifically list levels of freedom to strive for. and their payoffs and costs.

Additionally, I would like to see preventative measures addressed.  A privacy book I read intoned that there is no such thing as absolute privacy.  Someone somewhere has the resources to acquire information about you.  The issue becomes not how much privacy you have, but how expensive it is for someone to compromise it.  The more resources it takes to compromise your privacy, the fewer people (or agencies) are going to be capable of it.  I think a similar topic would be valuable.  Freedom can be approached from an issue of simply making your freedom too expensive for X to compromise.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Mike

New book in the works
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 09:27:58 am »

Claire,

You could do something on knowing your enemy. A simple read of your Federal and States criminal statutes could present a treasure of info that could be used against a Fed.

For example, up here in the great white north of Canada there is a section of our Criminal Code called Section 337, Public Servent fails to deliver property. If I ask a cop to hand over an item he has taken from me and he can show no legal reason why he can't and won't turn the item over then he is subject to arrest and could get up to 14 years in the slammer. Oh and yes it works, I have used Sec. 337 to good effect.

There must be previsions like that in the States.  

Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up