The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: New book in the works  (Read 21638 times)

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2003, 08:34:52 am »

Call 'em Freedom Scouts. Just as accurate, and will play better in Peoria.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2003, 09:04:17 am »

Call 'em Freedom Scouts. Just as accurate, and will play better in Peoria.
The Freedom Scouts Manual. I can even see the cover illustration!
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
New book in the works
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 11:38:37 am »

When does the pre-ordering begin?  :)  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
New book in the works
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2003, 12:04:09 pm »

You guys on this thread have no idea how you've broadened and deepened my concept of the book.
Does that mean we all are entitled to a free copy? :P

Seriously, though... it's certainly sounding like a book I'd buy.

Joe: Hey, what's that?
Bob: That's my Freedom Scouts Manual... y'know, I'm this close to getting my Gulching Merit Badge!
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2003, 12:19:23 pm »

When does the pre-ordering begin?  :)
Uh ... well, you probably have to wait until sometime after the actual writing begins. And I guess that's my cue to get back to work.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2003, 12:20:59 pm »

y'know, I'm this close to getting my Gulching Merit Badge!
Oooooooh, my gosh. Another IDEA ... No kidding, another idea ...

Jac

New book in the works
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2003, 01:04:55 pm »

Heh... Dare I ask? <_<  
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

debra

New book in the works
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2003, 01:22:50 pm »

Wouldn't it be adorable to have a Freedom Scouts manual (even if Claire didn't write it)? Where you could get merit badges on refusing to give your SSN, or ditching your TV, target shooting X number of times over a 3 month period, and so on?

That would be just too cute for words.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2003, 02:41:04 pm »

Hmmmn. It has possibilities. Especially the merchandizing angle. No uniforms, of course, but you could have T-shirts. Maybe a series of "101 things" t-shirts? Now, badges, we need lots of stinking badges.  

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

debra

New book in the works
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2003, 02:44:52 pm »

Heh - I have my son's old Boy Scout manuals (several versions). I'll have to scan through it for ideas. This could be fun.

Claire, if YOU aren't going to write it, someone needs to! :D

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 02:58:30 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking that I have my manuals upstairs somewhere in the library. At the moment, though, I am contemplating how to rewrite the Tom Lehrer song "Be Prepared".  :D  

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
New book in the works
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2003, 02:59:40 pm »

Heh... Dare I ask? <_<
You don't have to ask! You're the one who came up with it. MERIT BADGES! It's perfect.

And as Hunter says, stinking merit badges. We NEED stinking badges!!!

Debra, look up those old BS Handbooks. I've just requested one from my library. This would be much more fun than Self-Liberation 101, which sounds like the poor reader's going to get lectured crosseyed. And so much more *active*. Hey, you *get* something for all that grungy labor you're going to put in.

I've got a query into the publisher about moving to this idea. Only concern here is how close we can go to the BS Handbook/merit badge idea without getting poor little Loompanics sued into the gutter.

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
New book in the works
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2003, 03:08:57 pm »

I believe this next song needs no introduction, so I will include it anyway:

You know: of all the songs I've ever sung, that is the one I've had the most requests not to.
I have time for one more here. this one is a little song dedicated to the Boy Scouts of America. [applause] we seem to have a convention here tonight. the Boy Scouts of America, those noble little... bastions of democracy, and the American Legion of tomorrow. their motto is... i would like to state at this time that i am not now and have never been... a member of the Boy Scouts of America. their motto is, as you know, be prepared! and that is the name of this song.

be prepared! that's the boy scout's marching song,
be prepared! as through life you march along.
be prepared to hold your liquor pretty well,
don't write naughty words on walls if you can't spell.

be prepared! to hide that pack of cigarettes,
don't make book if you cannot cover bets.
keep those reefers hidden where you're sure
that they will not be found
and be careful not to smoke them
when the scoutmaster's around
for he only will insist that it be shared.
be prepared!

be prepared! that's the boy scouts' solemn creed,
be prepared! and be clean in word and deed.
don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,
unless you get a good percentage of her price.

be prepared! and be careful not to do
your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
if you're looking for adventure of a
new and different kind,
and you come across a girl scout who is
similarly inclined,
don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared.
be prepared!

Augustwest

New book in the works
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2003, 03:23:01 pm »

Only concern here is how close we can go to the BS Handbook/merit badge idea without getting poor little Loompanics sued into the gutter.

Go for it Claire! I'm sure we can raise a big enough posse to take on the Boy Scouts if they raise a stink.

Sure, they're young and spry, but we're better armed, I bet. And I'm sure the Pink Pistols alone could muster at least a brigade.  :D  
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Jac

New book in the works
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2003, 03:34:03 pm »

You don't have to ask! You're the one who came up with it. MERIT BADGES! It's perfect.
Oh. Well... um, that was my plan all along... *cough* :unsure:

And as Hunter says, stinking merit badges. We NEED stinking badges!!!
Yes, he has such a way with words.

Debra, look up those old BS Handbooks. I've just requested one from my library. This would be much more fun than Self-Liberation 101, which sounds like the poor reader's going to get lectured crosseyed. And so much more *active*. Hey, you *get* something for all that grungy labor you're going to put in.
That's a good point. People might like it a bit more... participatory.

--PSM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up