The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Laundry soap  (Read 6207 times)

MsSage

Laundry soap
« on: July 20, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »

Since I saw the "recipe" on the blog I thought i would ask here ....
It said 1 tblsp per load ......uummm is that a 5 gallon bucket load, compact apt washer or a reg washer, or a large load in a reg washer?
I know dont worry about it but I am trying to figure out how much I have and how long it would last.
Thanks for the dry recipe Anita. That is easier to store in a container and lighter to carry.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

gaurdduck

Re: Laundry soap
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »

Where do you get laundry soap?
Not detergent, soap. :huh:

sharp_shepherd

• Guardian Of The Constitution
  • Join us on the road to a new "old" America.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:54 pm »

I seen a recipe on survivalblog.com and I believe it called for 1/3 cup of the liquid version for a regular washer load.
Guardian Of The Constitution
Three Percenter
LDS Member
I love my wife, kids and family.

gaurdduck

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:11:08 pm »

I wasn't going to use it for laundry.
You use it to make jellied gasoline, for torches, BBQ starting, etc...
But you need the powdered kind.

MsSage

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
2 bars ivory soap grated fine
mix and use 1 Tblsp per load.
I did 6 cups and 8 bars so we shall see.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

Zookeeper

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:14:15 am »

I make the liquid with about 15 drops of Lilac essential oil and Fels-Naptha. Ms Sage, Can you let us know how the Ivory works? Thanks

amagi

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:29:03 am »

I made a liquid based on Borax and washing soda and soap.  I like it but it didn't get the shirts white enough for Honey's office job.
It also came out really lumpy. 
I'll try the dry kind.  For my clothes and the boys.  I don't where white anyway and there is no point in keeping the clothes of an 11 yo boy spotless.  I can't even keep them whole for long. :laugh:
That will at least cut down on the soap consumption.

A tablespoon doesn't sound like much to me.  Of detergent, yes.  But not a soap based cleaner.  Maybe a 1/4 cup? You'll have to experiment.  Let us know what you find out?
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:38 am »

What is 'washing soda'?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:25:49 pm »

What is 'washing soda'?

Bear

Sodium carbonate.   :-)

You find it in the laundry soap section of your typical supermarket,  pretty much like baking soda,  similar small boxes.

Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

gaurdduck

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:35 pm »

I've never seen it.
Nor laundry soap for that matter.
Only detergent.

MsSage

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:32:30 pm »

I've never seen it.
Nor laundry soap for that matter.
Only detergent.
Washing soda its next to Borax. The "soap" is bars of ivory soap ...ya know bath bars, mine came 4 to a pack.
It took some mixing to get the lumps of soap mixed up.
hmmmm I never thought of oil for scent......cool idea
Shoer HAS to have "smell" and it has to be a clean smell ....men or should I say marines or I really dont know LOL just know I gotta love em
amigi I was wondering if you could make a small batch and add in the oxi stuff to help with the whites? I was thinking about doing that for whites...socks and tshirts and undies.
Thomas Jefferson

amagi

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 07:41:43 pm »

AFAIK The Oxi stuff does not come in unscented.  A lot of my goal in making my own is to avoid smelling like laundry.  Plus, most scents make me itch, or swell up.  They DO sell unscented detergent.
It is just as easy to buy one bottle for one kind of clothes and make my own as well.  I already make soap.  Laundry soap is not much more work.

As a side bar, I am finding it harder to find Borax and Washing Soda.  I had to switch stores at one point.  The Co-ops still carry them.

Vinegar is a great laundry additive too.  I put it in the place softener goes.   It softens water and fights odors and germs.  I like it on mildew smelling things.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

Mad Wet Hen

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »

I just checked on how to make lye so I don't have to buy it.
I have GOD and GUTS one thing left to go.
God protect my little girl soldier as she does what she thinks is right. Keep her safe in the monthes to come as she prepares to go over seas at the will of teptb please make sure that he that sends them odes his part by making sure they have all the equipment and food they need. AMEN.

gaurdduck

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 04:03:47 am »

I just checked on how to make lye so I don't have to buy it.

Something I bet only a few of you guy's knew that you could do with lye, is to remove hair from hides for tanning.
It's in one of the Foxfire books.

Mad Wet Hen

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:30 am »

Yes lye is very useful for soap, tanning hides and a heat source for cooking none food items I would think seeings it gets hot when water is added.
I have GOD and GUTS one thing left to go.
God protect my little girl soldier as she does what she thinks is right. Keep her safe in the monthes to come as she prepares to go over seas at the will of teptb please make sure that he that sends them odes his part by making sure they have all the equipment and food they need. AMEN.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up