The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Peasant Review -- A Neverwinter Nights Module  (Read 2117 times)

Undefined

The Peasant Review -- A Neverwinter Nights Module
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:31:22 pm »

Designed by Jack Davis

Download here!

Quite old in NWN community terms, The Peasant, in my opinion, has still never been surpassed for sheer new single player goodness. It's designed specifically for such introductory work. Clocking in at 4-6 hours, it can be completed in one or two fun sessions.

Perhaps the best thing about the module is the superb balance it strikes between unfolding story, exploration, character development and action. Far from a hack and slasher, the module still boasts plenty of combat, with each successive battle a little tougher and more satisfying.

Also welcome is the story. It's basic but very well done, a sort of family drama and 'save the sister' tale combined with a coming of age theme and overtones of not fitting in the small town where one was born. There are some oddly philosophical moments about fantasy adventuring in general, sure to strike the fancy of new players. The differing reactions of your family and fellow townsfolk as you gain skill, power and experience, is also gratifying. To transform from 'that kid' to a hero very nearly worthy of song and story strikes to the heart of what makes RPGs fun. Even within the story they are basically concerned with 'moving beyond the everyday'.

While challenging, there is a noted lack of the 'frustration factor' which some veterans confuse with 'challenge' and most newbies quit because of. The puzzles are natural and logical, the battles winnable but not without taking some wounds.

The final conflict is a real delight. I won't give anything away, but will say that it's a beautifully handled little scene, worthy of a movie or novel. And the rewards are quite richly appropriate. The ending itself is cheerful and open ended, hinting at the many adventures to come for this character that has now passed their trial by fire.

All in all, I consider The Peasant absolutely perfect for introducing a new player to the wonder of Neverwinter Nights, much better in fact than the rather convoluted and talky original campaign. That said, it's also worth playing by veterans as it will remind you of those old days of pen and paper games, when you were still new to the whole thing and excited by the prospects. It will almost certainly bring a nostalgic smile to your face.

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
Re: The Peasant Review -- A Neverwinter Nights Module
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:29:19 am »

While challenging, there is a noted lack of the 'frustration factor' which some veterans confuse with 'challenge' and most newbies quit because of. The puzzles are natural and logical, the battles winnable but not without taking some wounds.

Ahh, I know that feeling.
For those interested, this game can be torrented if you don't have the cash to pay for it (Like me x.x) Simple google search.
Not that I'd advocate doing anything illegal like that. :ph34r:
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

Undefined

Re: The Peasant Review -- A Neverwinter Nights Module
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 01:07:20 am »

LOL, I won't scold you, man. But I will note that the game's Diamond edition (which comes with the original game, all the professional expansions, and a bunch of community began-Bioware finished modules) is available online for $14 bucks at most places. You can probably find it cheaper with a little searching. That's close to 200 hours of game. :P And the thousands and thousands of hours of modules and even more hours of persistant world online play are available for free. :)

Plus, you won't be able to get online and play multiplayer with a warezed serial. :P That's no fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up