The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethnic Soups And Stews (Chilli included)  (Read 69900 times)

SoupMonkey

Re: Ethnic Soups And Stews (Chilli included)
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 09:49:26 am »

Gaurd Duck, just out of curiosity, what types of Japanese chillies have you previously tried?
The ones I use are small red devils that are very similar to the Thai bird's eye variety.
Always nice to find a fellow "fire-eater" :ph34r:

Hollywoodgold

• You can trust them to be them...
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »

While not being haute cuisine, I have developed a satisfying soup dish that has been influenced by my travels in Asia and can be varied diversely depending on refrig contents and preferences.

I start with Ramen noodles and use chicken stock instead of water to cook it. Before cooked, I add the soup's ingredients that are sliced and/or chopped for quick cooking. I add the denser ingredients first, like carrot or broccoli and the softer ingredients towards the end. So, to the noodles add, thin sliced carrot, chopped/sliced onion, sliced beef, chicken, venison, pork or shrimp, hot peppers either fried Chinese, jalapeno, serrano piquin, Thai etc., and then finish with mushrooms sesame oil and chili paste with black fermented soybeans and scallion. Even a spicy rendered thinly sliced sausage works as the meat. Like a shabu shabu, lesser quality meats can be thinly sliced so they are both palatable and easy to chew. I lean on the spices depending on the meat chosen and you can add peanuts, cilantro, fresh ginger and even a raw egg depending on what you prefer.

This is a complete meal and can be very reasonable in cost. I analyzed the costs of a typical version I do and it was about $1.50 per dinner serving per person. What most people like about it is that it is fulfilling and satisfying as a meal.
"Democracy must be something more than
two wolves and a sheep voting on what to
have for dinner."

gaurdduck

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 04:12:37 pm »

Gaurd Duck, just out of curiosity, what types of Japanese chillies have you previously tried?
The ones I use are small red devils that are very similar to the Thai bird's eye variety.

Just the wide red ones you get at the Mexican store, and whatever one they put in shichimi.
I think I've got some in the cupboard.

While not being haute cuisine, I have developed a satisfying soup dish that has been influenced by my travels in Asia and can be varied diversely depending on refrig contents and preferences.

I start with Ramen noodles and use chicken stock instead of water to cook it. Before cooked, I add the soup's ingredients that are sliced and/or chopped for quick cooking. I add the denser ingredients first, like carrot or broccoli and the softer ingredients towards the end. So, to the noodles add, thin sliced carrot, chopped/sliced onion, sliced beef, chicken, venison, pork or shrimp, hot peppers either fried Chinese, jalapeno, serrano piquin, Thai etc., and then finish with mushrooms sesame oil and chili paste with black fermented soybeans and scallion. Even a spicy rendered thinly sliced sausage works as the meat. Like a shabu shabu, lesser quality meats can be thinly sliced so they are both palatable and easy to chew. I lean on the spices depending on the meat chosen and you can add peanuts, cilantro, fresh ginger and even a raw egg depending on what you prefer.

This is a complete meal and can be very reasonable in cost. I analyzed the costs of a typical version I do and it was about $1.50 per dinner serving per person. What most people like about it is that it is fulfilling and satisfying as a meal.

It sounds really good. I'm already making dango, and tomorrow will eat roasted eel and rice, but I wanna try this sometime.

Hollywoodgold

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2009, 04:18:47 pm »

Just the wide red ones you get at the Mexican store, and whatever one they put in shichimi.
I think I've got some in the cupboard.

It sounds really good. I'm already making dango, and tomorrow will eat roasted eel and rice, but I wanna try this sometime.

Like many simple food dishes, freshness of ingredients and proper cooking time are key. I like the meat cooked medium, the vegetables crispy and the noodles just cooked enough.
have for dinner."

SoupMonkey

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »

Mexican peppers are kind of hard to gauge, as they depend on the area in which they are grown.
The kind of peppers they put in schichmi togarashi are actually peppercorns, not red devils;
they are basically reddish peppercorns(weak cousins of the Chinese variety).

Try this:
3(or more) Thai chilies(dried and toasted)
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp dried tangerine skin(not rind)
1 tsp finely cut nori
(extras can be added according to taste and desire)
Coarsely grind the above together, except the sesame seeds, they go in
last and whole.Store like any other spice.
Use liberally, and use it quickly because nori tends to overwhelm
everything else after a while.

This one is good as a fridge cleaner(well, for me it is)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budae_jjigae
I would be interested in your variations.

icbkr

• Lord of the Files
  • We're gonna need a bigger boat.
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »

I just searched for "gaurd duck soup" and started laughing hysterically.  It's still funny.

Anyway, what I need is help.  How do I stop following this thread?  I've been to the help files, searched the forums, and yet I still can't stop stuff popping up in my "replies to stuff you wrote".  There must be a way to take stuff off the radar.  Help?

icbkr
Pen, sword, meh.  If I kill the guy with the idea before he gets to relate it, the sword wins.  Again.  Memes are highly overrated.

SoupMonkey

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 06:29:36 pm »

Dear icbkr:
Pitiful human we control your very existence :ph34r:
Also see my next post for roast Gaurd Duck and Monkey Soup.
We are in the twilight limits of the outer zone.
Unless you don't have a 1963 Zenith floor model TV.

gaurdduck

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »

I just searched for "gaurd duck soup" and started laughing hysterically.  It's still funny.

Anyway, what I need is help.  How do I stop following this thread?  I've been to the help files, searched the forums, and yet I still can't stop stuff popping up in my "replies to stuff you wrote".  There must be a way to take stuff off the radar.  Help?

icbkr

Just don't post for a week or so, and It'll just dissapear.

SoupMonkey

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »

There must be a way to take stuff off the radar.  Help?
ust don't post for a week or so, and It'll just dissapear.

Gaurd Duck, it is your sig, he keeps forgetting what to do with superglue.
Oh crap, I almost managed to forget about the 70s.

gaurdduck

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2009, 08:30:08 pm »

Are you tripping? :thrshocker:

Just a thought, Let's start a ... ummm... thread on freeing your mind, dudes...
20 grams of Stilton cheese has comparable visuals to LSA.

Or we could just keep on about Asian food.
OTOH, My specialties are Californian, Mexican, and Tex-Mex.
I am from SoCal afterall. My exploration of all things
Japanese is a recent development. I've been cooking since
before I could read. And I learned that a few years ahead of my peers.

I'm also a moonshiner/ homebrewer/ homevintner.
I'm not sure whatcha call it, but I also make mead.

SoupMonkey

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:48 pm »

Are you tripping?
If you knew what the year 1977 meant to me, you
would be even more paranoid than I am. A frightening
proposition no matter how you look at it.
Sorry to hear your from LoCal. I'm a respectable
Irish redneck swamprat from down South.
Moonshiner's grandson and damned proud of it.
Alcoholic in intervals. Copperhead Road !
Standard disclaimer: The author of this post
neither condones the use of alcohol, drugs
and/or going down Copperhead Road.
Tomorrow I will be sober, but the world will still be ugly.

Hollywoodgold

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 10:07:35 pm »

Here is a recipe for a seasoning salt taught me by a Hunan Chef. It is a great dry rub for boar, venison, beef and wildfowl.

Roast in a heavy dry iron frying pan 1 part Chinese red pepper corns (aromatic type), two parts star anise and three parts salt. Stir constantly untill the star anise starts to turn very dark and the misture begins to smoke.

Take of the stove

Grind the mixture into a powder using a mortar and pestle.

Store in a jar or cannister.

Use this magic salt on the aforementioned meats and lightly as a salt on grilled vegetables. Let the meat season for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably 4 hours and OK if overnight. Bake, broil or grill meats so treated.
have for dinner."

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 11:43:25 pm »

OK here goes....

Aku boat delight.
Cook one package of Sapporo Ichiban noodles, drain.
Add several tablespoons mayo, mix.
Garnish with Katsuo Furikake.
(This is my reciepe and most folks don't care for it, be warned.)

Kabocha
2 lbs. kabocha squash, peeled and diced into 1"x1" cubes (approx. 6 cups)
1/2 cup water (or dashi if you have it)
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
Shitake mushroos, dried
1 Fish cake,(Kamaboko, I like Amano brand from Hilo HI)
2 abura-age (Deep fried tofu)
Soup Nori to taste, (I like lots) this is basically dried kelp

Start by hydrating the mushrooms and Nori. This should be done several hours ahead.
Cut up fish cake, and Age coursely. When the seaweed and mushrooms are tender cut them up too.
Put in soup stock pot with Dashi soup base(or warter) and add sugar, soy and salt. Simmer.
Wash kabocha and dry. If the skin is in good condition, there's no need to peel it. Cut in half, and again into quarters. Scoop out the seeds then cut into 1"x1" cubes.
Add the kabocha cubes. Bring to a boil and place lid on pan, turning down heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. Keep an eye on the amount of liquid in the saucepan, you don't want it all t o evaporate and burn the kabocha. Cook until done, when a chopstick easily pierces the flesh without it falling apart. You don't want the kabocha too hard or too mushy.
Serve chunks hot or cold with any leftover liquid sauce.

My mother-in-law makes this and it's wonderful!
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 01:53:28 am »

Aku boat delight

EVIL boat delight?!?!  ^_^
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 05:59:04 am »

Aku boat delight

EVIL boat delight?!?!  ^_^

Sure, why not?
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up