The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minutemen 'expose' Bush's 'shadow government'  (Read 6859 times)

Tin-Man

• Expat.
Re: Minutemen 'expose' Bush's 'shadow government'
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 07:19:48 pm »

As for the rest of you in this thread, keep it civil or there will be consequences for you, too.

Hm... anybody know what works best for cleaning self-righteousness off of a computer screen?  It's practically dripping onto my desk over here....
...when it comes to mass murder the worst individual monster in the world is a gnat compared with even a relatively benign state.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lightning

• Heheheh...
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 07:50:56 pm »

As for the rest of you in this thread, keep it civil or there will be consequences for you, too.

Hm... anybody know what works best for cleaning self-righteousness off of a computer screen?  It's practically dripping onto my desk over here....

A spritz of self-pity and a handful of whines about Evil Moderators seem to have worked for you in the past...   :laugh:

And now you want to accuse Claire or Debra or whoever of the same old crap?
I'm damn well free to dance through life even if 'they' expect me to cringe and crawl.

"Your life is an occasion.  Rise to it."  --Dustin Hoffman as Mr. Magorium, in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Tin-Man

• Expat.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 09:21:39 pm »

A spritz of self-pity and a handful of whines about Evil Moderators seem to have worked for you in the past...   :laugh:

Speaking of self-righteousness. :rolleyes:

And now you want to accuse Claire or Debra or whoever of the same old crap?

I don’t see why not.  If it walks like a condescending little duck and talks like a condescending little duck....

Let’s assume, for the sake of argument, this particular incarnation of “Moderator” was Claire.  She’s a person I like, admire, and respect tremendously.  But I reserve the right(*) to call anyone on being a patronizing jackass to undeserving people, even her.  Especially when that person is in a position of "power."  In my opinion, people responding in kind to a troll don’t need encouragement, but they also don’t deserve to be told to keep their mouths shut and their heads down like good little chil’ens, which is how the part of the post that I responded to came across.  At least to me.

Lightning, I like and respect you as well.  I hate that we seem to bang heads about this one relatively trivial issue, but I’ll be damned if I’ll just sit back and watch as this forum slides back down the slope towards the adult daycare it was for a short while there.  Not saying it is, necessarily... just saying I won’t complacently watch if it does. 

*And before anybody says a damn thing, I’m well-aware of the point mentioned above about the board being private property.  And I agree.  I just happen to be of the “you can make me leave, but you can’t make me shut up” variety. :P
...when it comes to mass murder the worst individual monster in the world is a gnat compared with even a relatively benign state.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 09:32:01 pm »

Um, well. Wasn't me this time, guys.

But having the magical powers of an admin, I have noticed that it's easy, soooooo easy to be tempted to go overboard. Even I, who hate the very idea of having power over others, I get that admin login and it's like ... which jackass can I whack today? (It's a wonder that all our presidents don't turn into dictators, giving the corrupting influence of even a small bit of "authority"; oh, wait ... they do turn into dictators.)

I have to be careful that the biggest jackass on the board doesn't turn out to be me.  :rolleyes:

IMHO, everybody's a little bit right and everybody's a little bit wrong in this particular situation. Mods sometimes need to take a deep breath before acting. But <ahem> Certain Persons also need to take a deep breath and avoid responding with hostility to the most obvious provocations, like those offered by the obvious troll, Booker.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:34:10 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

teotwawki

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 09:39:56 pm »

Hey, I'm sorry but the easiest way to get my gander up is to question my patriotism - and yes I consider myself a PATRIOT with a capital P.  I've seen both the worst and the best our military might has to offer, and theres no way in hell I'm turning the cheek to some chikenhawk.

I'm sorry.  Stupid SHOULD hurt.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 09:48:44 pm »

I will remind you that there have been no more terrorists attacks on American soil since 9-11. Stay the course, yes. Liberal retards no.

I just want to give this point a little tap and say something about it, late to the party though I may be, since no one else did.

No, there hasn't been another terrorist attack on American soil since 09/11/2001.  So what?  Anyone remember February 26th, 1993?  If not, let me remind you about the first World Trade Center bombing.  How long was it between that and 9-11?  8 years, 6 months, and a handful of days.  More than 8.5 years.

And before anyone brings up the bombing of the Murrah building in OKC in 1996, there has been no attempt by the Fed.gov to link that one to the Middle East in any way, shape or form, meaning it's "domestic terrorism", which is a whole different ball game.  And yes, I know the view held by Elias and others here that the OKC and WTC attacks were both government jobs, and I don't really want to dig into that bag of worms.  The point is, '93, the WTC is bombed, Al Quaeda is blamed/takes credit.  2001, WTC is attacked, AQ again takes credit/gets blamed.  1996, OKC bombing, an American citizen is blamed and no real ties to the middle east are even looked at.  They're different.

Hey, I'm sorry but the easiest way to get my gander up is to question my patriotism - and yes I consider myself a PATRIOT with a capital P.  I've seen both the worst and the best our military might has to offer, and theres no way in hell I'm turning the cheek to some chikenhawk.

Nothing wrong with turning the other cheek, Teot.  Just make sure you turn the right cheek toward the right person.  :)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

teotwawki

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 10:04:11 pm »

Only cheek I'm gunne turn is my left - so I can get a good weld on the buttstock to take that mutha down at 300yds.

Nothing wrong with turning the other cheek, Teot.  Just make sure you turn the right cheek toward the right person.  :)

Stewart the Yalie

• "The final weapon is the brain"
    • Dirt Rhodes Scholar
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 10:39:16 pm »

Yes!  Yes!  Bring us ... a SHRUBBERY!

teotwawki said:
Only cheek I'm gunne turn is my left - so I can get a good weld on the buttstock to take that mutha down at 300yds.

As for me, I turn my right cheek ... and fart in Booker's general direction!  Ugghwahhh!
Remember, remember your body will not live forever
That you will die matters not;
When The Day comes, follow your fathers
Give them ball for ball, and shot for shot.

Stewart

badmuggafugga

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 10:43:42 pm »

As the initial bristly responder, I'd like to express contrition.

What really stings is that Booker has me pegged.  Don't know how I'll sleep tonight, now that my nose has been rubbed in a warm yellow puddle of Truth.  My head lolls and cravenly twitches in shame, while my betters in blue, UCP, and MARPAT pinch their noses, man up, and protect me.

Woe!  Woe!
"Bad guys who wear badges and judges' robes and have all the other people who wear badges and judges' robes on their side, can take your toys and no one will help you get them back!"

Every year without knowing it I have passed the day
When the last fires will wave to me
And the silence will set out
Tireless traveler
Like the beam of a lightless star

Stewart the Yalie

• Dirt Rhodes Scholar
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:53 pm »

teotwawki said:

In all seriousness, I second that fully.  That asswipe really got under my skin too.  I just arrived at the ass-wuppin party a bit late.  Too bad it is virtual.

Stewart

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 12:45:10 am »

teotwawki said:

In all seriousness, I second that fully.  That asswipe really got under my skin too.  I just arrived at the ass-wuppin party a bit late.  Too bad it is virtual.

Points taken. But rest assured, stupid DID hurt. Booker was banned after three posts, which comes close to setting a record for idiot-whacking. Feel free to defend your honor. Just please don't stoop to the troll's level and get into name calling and personal insults. Best way to defend your honor is to act honorably, right?

We had a pair  of nasty situations on TCF tonight. One of them wasn't visible on the board. It involved a member sending vulgar crap, including threats, to another by PM. One of our Mods was maxed out trying to deal with two ugly messes at once. You guys could help out a lot if you'd keep your cool and not give a troll what he's looking for.

Stewart the Yalie

• Dirt Rhodes Scholar
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 10:39:48 am »

But it was so much fun! 

OK, I undestand.  I still think we should keep him around as a zoo exhibit, but what do I know - I'm pretty new around here myself. 

Stewart

Mr. Bill

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 11:14:55 am »

OK, I undestand.  I still think we should keep him around as a zoo exhibit, but what do I know - I'm pretty new around here myself. 

You arrived after the ugly spat over moderation.  If you want 11 pages of TCF's low point, here's the thread:

http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=9016.0

There was lots of anger and hurt feelings before TCF arrived at its current version of moderation.  So most of us try to avoid bringing up the subject again.

I was surprised to see Booker axed so fast, but he made it pretty clear in 3 posts that the only reason he came here was to have a fight, rather than to engage in constructive discussion.

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 10:44:47 pm »

Oh, Stewart the Yalie of the Knights who say NI!

I have brought you a selection of shrubberies.  I hope that one of them pleases you.

Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

Stewart the Yalie

• Dirt Rhodes Scholar
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 11:11:11 am »

DPR 2006 said:
Oh, Stewart the Yalie of the Knights who say NI!

I have brought you a selection of shrubberies.  I hope that one of them pleases you.

Ah, how delightful!  Yes, yes, a fine selection indeed.  I would normally have a hard time choosing ...

but my eye was immediately drawn to the one in the last photo, down there at the bottom, the one over on the right ...on the FAR RIGHT.   What a nice little shrub.  I cannot say Ni! to that.  Yes, it would be simply LOVELY to plant that one in my backyard.  Please have it delivered immediately!

Thank you

PS- You must have known that I have a special place in my heart for that particular specimen of shrubbery-so much so that I recently gave it a place of honor in a poem:

"A stale MRE to feed ol' Yoo,
Cheney, Rumsfeld, and the SHRUBBERY too.
A session of water boarding to rinse it down,
A lit cigarette to burn them ...."

« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:52:02 pm by Stewart the Yalie »

Stewart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up