The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Before The X-Files: KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER  (Read 2485 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
Before The X-Files: KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:59:14 pm »

S6: Here's another one of my favorite TV Shows from the 1970's which featured Darren McGavin as Carl Kolchak fearless journalist and hunter of Vampires, Ghouls, and other Monsters the JBT's sought to cover up....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kolchak: The Night Stalker  is an American television series that aired on ABC in 1974. It featured a newspaper reporter — Carl Kolchak, played by Darren McGavin — who investigates crimes with mysterious and unlikely causes that the proper authorities won't accept or pursue. Each week Kolchak investigated murders involving supernatural and science fictional creatures. The series was light-hearted black comedy and placed Kolchak in an office setting with quirky co-workers like Simon Oakland as the ulcer ridden Anthony Vincenzo and Jack Grinnage as Updyke aka Uptight

KOLCHAK !!!!!!

The series was preceded by two television movies, The Night Stalker (1972) and The Night Strangler (1973). It is often credited as the inspiration for The X-Files and was succeeded by a second television series with a new cast and characters in 2005, as well as several novels and comic books.

The entire series is now available in syndication and occasionally rerun on the Sci-Fi Channel with its original expanded title, Kolchak: The Night Stalker. In 2008, it began running on Chiller TV.

S6: I also loved how Carl would keep wearing his same suit from the 1950's along with a hat my Aunt Ilse gave to the Goodwill after my Uncle passed away. Kolchak would be frustrated by the various Cops, Government hacks, and so called do gooders who would hamper his search for the truth and keeping us safe from various bugaboos...

Kolchak the TV Series featured appearances by many Hollywood veterans, including: Ken Lynch, Charles Aidman, Randy Boone, Scatman Crothers, Dick Van Patten, Jan Murray, Larry Storch, Jeanne Cooper, Alice Ghostley, Victor Jory, Murray Matheson, Julie Adams, John Dehner, Phil Silvers, Bernie Kopell, Marvin Miller, Jesse White, James Gregory, Hans Conried, Mary Wickes, Henry Jones, Carolyn Jones, Jackie Mason, Stella Stevens, Abraham Sofaer, David Doyle, Jim Backus, Kathleen Freeman, John Hoyt, and Dwayne Hickman. Other actors that would go on to subsequent popularity included Eric Braeden, Tom Skerritt, Erik Estrada, William Daniels, Jamie Farr, Pat Harrington, Jr., Larry Linville, and Richard Kiel.

Best episodes from the series : HORROR IN THE HEIGHTS, THE ZOMBIE , UFO, THE WEREWOLF, THE DEVILS PLATFORM and the ENERGY EATER...

Plus I felt THE NIGHT STRANGLER with Richard Anderson as the title villian Dr. Richard Malcolm who sought the life fluids of women every 21 years in Seattles Pioneer Square region was more spookier and eerier than THE NIGHT STALKER that first aired in 1972...

BTW Can any of our Seattle area TMM Members give us any info about Seattle's Underground region where Malcolm hid out in ?

Here's the First Part of the Classic Episode which helped inspire The X-Files

They Have...They Are
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:40:05 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

dogsledder54

Re: Before The X-Files: KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:29 pm »

Darren McGavin was one of my favorites. He was Mike Hammer, then a detective in a great show, The Outsider, an ex-con trying to prove he was framed. He drove an old heap, got beat up, and stiffed on his fees, and was the antithesis of the run-of-the-mill detective.

FUBAR

• ....and I'm all out of bubble gum!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:13:56 am »

This show was awesome...

It was Dr. Who with (almost) a budget...

(at least better than, what the hell was it, Night Gallery, or that drivel forced upon Rod  Serling after the "Twilight Zone" was cancelled?

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:55:01 am »

Loved Kolchak: The Night Stalker, it gave me nightmares for years.

When  I was a kid it was freaking scary.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 06:27:10 pm »

Does everyone here agree the SCI FI CHANNEL Remake really bit the dogs ass ?
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Who...me?

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:42 pm »

Back when I was a lad and had my first job outside my Dad's building company (I was  dishwasher), I would get home from work around 11 or 11:30 and watch the Night Stalker followed by The Avengers!!  MAN-O-MAN did I have a crush on Mrs Emma Peel played by Diana Rigg

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

FUBAR

• ....and I'm all out of bubble gum!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:01:09 pm »

Back when I was a lad and had my first job outside my Dad's building company (I was  dishwasher), I would get home from work around 11 or 11:30 and watch the Night Stalker followed by The Avengers!!  MAN-O-MAN did I have a crush on Mrs Emma Peel played by Diana Rigg

Oh My yes!!! Emma Peel!!!

Used to watch the Avengers every Friday on PBS followed by Dr. Who!! (or vice a versa)

I would wear a Derby and carry an umbrella around too if it let me hang out with the leather cat suit-judo chopping goddess of my adolescence!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up