The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanishing point and Angel  (Read 1814 times)

jamie

Vanishing point and Angel
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:53 pm »

A movie I really liked that I haven't seen mentioned is the remake of  Vanishing Point with Viggo Mortensen.  The original was good too.

I really liked Angel on DVD and especially the last episode season 5.   About vampires  as much as Firefly is about space cowboys.  It is by the same director/writer who did Firefly. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:54:10 am by jamie »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Re: Vanishing point and Angel
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »

Funny, jamie, I'd have sworn we've talked about both versions of Vanishing Point before. But I don't find any discussions when I run a search -- just a mention of it among favorite chase scenes.

I prefer the 1971 original myself. But the one starting Viggo Mortensen (before he got famous) was way better than I expected it to be.

One reason I like the older version is that the motives of the mysterious anti-hero remain a mystery. He's just ... driven to drive, even after his deadline for getting where he's going has been blown away. In the Mortensen version, they give him a "noble" & even religious motive. (But then, that's what Charles Robert Carner, the director, is about.) It makes the story more literal.

Still, both are good and both are definitely on my list of freedom films. Thanks for bringing it up.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Undefined

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:26:34 pm »

Agree with Claire. Another aspect of the original VP is the gorgeous widescreen cinematography of John A. Alonzo. Daryn Okada's work in the remake is quite good, but pales in comparison. I saw a lovingly restored print in Chicago and was blown away by the beautiful depth of field work and the Southwestern scenery. Alonzo and director Richard C. Sarafian use the bleak but beautiful (and almost constantly in motion) vistas as a visual metaphor for existential loneliness.

I too consider the remake 'better than I expected.' But since I went into it with incredibly low expectations (I'm not a fan of remakes) that isn't saying a whole lot. :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:31:32 pm by Door Into Summer »

FUBAR

• ....and I'm all out of bubble gum!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:21:27 am »

I am stuck with the original, because I have owned and rebuilt 85% of the cars in the film.

Might as well remake the Dukes of Hazzard or Night Rider......

Oh, sh#t...

nevermind......
Pages: [1]   Go Up