The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have You Thought About F-Class?  (Read 7447 times)

Radio Flyer

Re: Have You Thought About F-Class?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »

New thread on bullets.... was thinking about that...

For now here is a page on bullet design with drawings to make it simple.

http://www.corbins.com/design.htm

Terms and photos.

http://www.corbins.com/specs.htm

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 10:10:35 pm »

I was looking through the Corbins site.
They have a page on bullet making as a business.
Relatively low investment of from about $600 to $10,000 make the risk fairly low, and return on investment very high, on the order of 500% annually.
It looked great until I read that you need a FFL Class 6 license.
Now the cost is low, 30 FRNs for 3 years, but we all know that once you get involved with the
BATFE they OWN you.
'Simon says, You are now a felon.' (You forgot to dot an 'I', go to prison for ten years.)
Too bad. Though it might work in MT/TN if you sell only with in the state.
(Not that I would want to be the test case.)
http://www.corbins.com/business.htm
There is a lot of misinformation and unfounded fear surrounding the license. Some people think the BAFT can just storm in at any time without a warrant and demand to see your records. No. Wrong. They probably couldn't care less about your records in the first place, because people who manufacture bullets to sell and do not load ammo or sell guns are just about the last people they care about. There's little or nothing to trace. But they do have the right to inspect your records, during the normal hours and days of operation that you put on your license. If you work part time, that could be Saturdays from noon to four in the afternoon. Whatever you say on the license application is your business hours for the term of the license. That is when the agent can visit and ask to see information. All the talk about warrants and searches has to do with criminal cases, not ordinary business! For heaven's sake! It would be funny if it wasn't such a wide-spread misconception.
Yeah right. The Feds are always perfectly reasonable, you can trust them with your life.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:12:12 pm by socalserf »
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Radio Flyer

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »

I was looking through the Corbins site.
They have a page on bullet making as a business.

Yep, and I sold mine keeping only select hand operated tools and dies...

I did have a C/T-6 and FFL (Type 1) you can get any of the "Types" by themselves but what is called a "Class 1,2,3" requires one of the FFL "Types" first... We all end up messing up the class and type designations mostly because the red-headed step child Type 6 is manufacturing as is the addition of a "Class 2" but to have a class 2 addition you have to have other "types" not a T6.

All very confusing and you are correct the risk is "what you pay" to be in "business" just like making a firearm any "civilian" can make any non-special (short barrel, automatic, or sonics suppressed) that complies with import laws - as long as you don't sell that "made for yourself" firearm. (Pissed off yet?)

The position is that if you want to be in "business" you have to render onto the .gov what .gov thinks is .gov's....

You would be surprised at how many T6 manufacturers are out there - reloads for sale, cast lead bullets for sale, and often other components require a T6 if you want to SELL the product...

I think I am getting ill typing this crap - yes it is a nightmare, but the cost of a T6 is one of the lowest as is the chance of having a "visit" there are many T6 that have been in business for over 20 years and never had even a letter or a call... They just don't care.... now the Excise taxes are a different story...

Gee, I can't remember why I got out of business both T1 and T6 with C2,3 associates....  :rolleyes:

Think that is bad try to import medicine :BangHead: or become an importer for computer parts....   :puke:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:08:38 pm by Radio Flyer »

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »

The more I read about Swaging the more tempting it is.
Just the hobby aspect is wonderful, all the advantages of casting with none of the downside.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Radio Flyer

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 09:16:49 pm »

Sure it costs that sort of money if you wish to be competitive , that said one can have a great deal of fun in F class just in the 'getting out and shooting ' factor.

It's great practice for finding out *exactly* what your rifle will do way downrange from what you're ever likely to shoot it in the field.

Fun - I think a lot of us who choose one type of shooting or another and even get involved in competitive shooting forget the fun part...

Who can tell you what is good for you or not? If you want to win be prepared to spend lots of money, but if you want to challenge yourself and have some fun...

Benchrest, Highpower, service rifle, F class and others have some hard core competitors but you do not have to shoot to win... you can just shoot for yourself and sometimes a group can make that more fun...

Not everyone wants to sit at a bench alone for hours working on loads and it is not necessary depending on your end desire...

I can have just as much fun with an inexpensive .22 and junk targets (or even better rats at a junkyard or crows at the river) I am trying to get my kids to see shooting as fun... One likes "cowboy" guns, one likes .22 autoloaders, and one just likes anything that goes boom...

I have an option I picked up on a whim several years ago that has to be the single best scope for the money I have ever bought.

http://swfa.com:80/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

I have the 10x42 (I prefer a fixed power scope) and I was shocked at how good this was for the money I paid, I would not hesitate to suggest this series of optics, are they perfect, no but you would have to drop almost twice the price to get the functional equal. This company also makes some inexpensive mounts that are of very good value just for this series of optics.

I have been thinking about getting the savage Model 12 Varminter with that "AccuTrigger" (I like that laminated stock) with the above scope and mounts for a shooter or that new TC Icon...

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:16 am »

Who can tell you what is good for you or not? If you want to win be prepared to spend lots of money, but if you want to challenge yourself and have some fun...

Benchrest, Highpower, service rifle, F class and others have some hard core competitors but you do not have to shoot to win... you can just shoot for yourself and sometimes a group can make that more fun...

SO TRUE.  I left N. Calif. and sports car racing an obsolete street car on street tires, enjoying it to the ultimate, caring not a whit about where I finished, but coming surprisingly close to the top. In Idaho, the sports cars became guns and race track became the shooting club.

The game is the same. The winners are completely focused and committed both financially and emotionally. They have ONE hobby; one driving force in their lives. That's not a bad thing, it's just not my thing. There is a whole bunch to learn from them and they are eager to share it with you. 

I can do at 600 yards what they can do at 1,000...  I guess I'll have to sit closer to the action. I can do in 60 seconds what they can do in 25... I guess I'll have to be more alert.

The point of organized shooting is to shoot. If having company motivates you like it does me, go join the gang and find a nice comfy spot in the middle... strive to outgrow your mediocrity and find good coaches willing to share their knowledge, tools and talent.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up