The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voices of the past - Celebrities of today  (Read 1396 times)

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight
Voices of the past - Celebrities of today
« on: October 04, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »

Fornote: I may just be romanticizing here.
I've never been much a fan of mindlessly following celebrities, but here's a thought I had. I can't vouch for it's validity, having lived only in recent times, but perhaps some of you older folks can confirm or deny my hypothesis.

It seems to me that the celebrities of the past (Early 1900's to 1950's or so) were people that actually did amazing things: Amelia Earhear, Albert Einstein, Marie Curie. Hell, even if you go back far enough and you get guys like DaVinci, Mozart.
So where are our innovators? Our geniuses? Our groundbreaking expeditions? Are they merely holed up in labs and mountaintops, doing amazing things but receiving no mention?
We hear endless stories of sports stars, rock bands, rappers.

I find it difficult to believe that there aren't amazing minds out there in sciences and arts, among other thing. I sure hope that isn't the case. My only hope is that these people have been ditched by the papers in favor of more sensationalist celebrities. If Obama turns out to be the greatest thing the early 21'st century is known for, I'd say we're in a pretty deep pile of shit. I guess it may be silly, but I wish there was a hero in my generation that was actually worth looking up to.
If our Mozart ends up being Kurt Cobain, thats rather... underwhelming, to say the least.

And before anyone says it: I know most of the people I listed are sure to have had horrifying vices, raped donkeys etc etc... But it's the image of them, the image they portrayed that I am speaking of. I'll be the first to admit there aren't such things as heros, at least not like stories and movies would have us believe. But there are people who do great and amazing things.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com

Junker

Re: Voices of the past - Celebrities of today
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:52:51 pm »

My recurring thought has been that great achievers/thinkers stopped
coming about the end of the 1800s. Those born closer to the end of
the 1800s had little or no university training-- Mencken, Hazlitt, Lawrence
Read, others. It seems the same in Europe too. There's a smattering of
good to very good, but no greats.

Was it the switch at universities from education to training? Nock went through
the old ed system. Not many others after 1880-ish. And training electives also
spread into secondary schools.

Maybe maybe not, but the thought has stayed with me.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:31:39 pm »

I think that folks just aren't hearing about other folks doing great thing because cheesy sells more papers than great does.
And doing great things is against the law these days to boot...............
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:39:15 am »

My recurring thought has been that great achievers/thinkers stopped
coming about the end of the 1800s. Those born closer to the end of
the 1800s had little or no university training-- Mencken, Hazlitt, Lawrence
Read, others. It seems the same in Europe too. There's a smattering of
good to very good, but no greats.

Was it the switch at universities from education to training? Nock went through
the old ed system. Not many others after 1880-ish. And training electives also
spread into secondary schools.

Maybe maybe not, but the thought has stayed with me.

We could then be facing a real Renaissance with the number of really bright kids being home schooled these days.

As for past vs. present; in the past we had hero's, and today we have celebrities.
Not at all the same thing.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Bluelinegirl

• Oathkeeper
  • I would bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »

Im fairly new here but out of all the threads i've read so far, I respect this one the most. Its honest, caring, forgiving of imperfections, filled with growth, informative, ok, ill yada yada at this point. 

I agree that it is angering (not sure if thats a word, but I dont think You guys will mind ;) to see the 'bought/owned' media and what they consider news and worse yet that the sheeple agree!! 

'I' at this point of my awakening, am most angry that no matter how many times you warn people to google fluoride they just wont do it! I think That may be where our geniuses are hibernating...they are under the influence of the tranq fluoride watching Nancy Grace....

If you have time to read this post, you have time to google it....no excuses.  One word of warning though, I equate ending the mindnumbing poisoning with taking the 'red pill'... if you'd rather stay asleep then carry on...

I just realised that as I hit 'next' intending to go to page 3 of the thread 'blue funk,' it brought me to this page instead and I wound up commenting on both lol
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:21:34 pm by Bluelinegirl »
The toughest part of this world, is to live in it. - BTVS

Not on my watch.

With 19 generations of Military and LE behind and around me, I have a shiny .02

1*

WANTED: $1,000,000.00 reward for the live capture of the Elusive HumanaChickaPig!! Freshly slaughtered also acceptable!

The Constitution is not self-executing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up