The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: for long time TCF/TMM folks, you'd probably enjoy the running joke in Zombieland  (Read 2051 times)

Lisa Aenne

I'm a sucker for comedies and zombies.  The perfect combination?  A comedy with zombies!  I've been really looking forward to Zombieland coming out into the theatres, so rather than waiting for it to come out in the second run $2 theatre, or on dvd, I treated my 18 year old and husband to a midnight showing of the movie.  My husband wasn't super excited about the time of the show, but he took an evening nap and was good to go to theatre.

We all thoroughly enjoyed it, but I especially enjoyed the running joke about twinkies because of the infamous thread here.

The movie is a great buddy/ on the road type of flick as well, and all the actors do a terrific job. The zombies are just the creamy middle of the twinkie =).
Gnomes live ten times faster than humans. They're harder to see than a high-speed mouse. That's one reason why most humans hardly ever see them. The other is that humans are very good at not seeing things they know aren't there. And, since sensible humans know that there are no such things as people four inches high, a gnome who doesn't want to be seen probably won't be seen... Terry Pratchett

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom

Hey, Lisa Aenne! It's good to see you around again!

I hadn't even heard of Zombieland until this morning, but after reading a single review of it, it went right into my Netflix queue. It sounds like a hoot. Several reviewers have apparently said it's better than Shaun of the Dead. Top a Simon Pegg movie? That's hard to do, in my book.

Not sure I'm such a sucker for zombie comedies. But I do like both the co-stars (Woody Harrellson and Jesse Eisenberg). Saw Eisenberg a couple of weeks ago in Adventureland, and even though I thought the movie was only medium-good, I was really taken by him.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Lisa Aenne

I wouldn't say it is better than Shaun of the Dead, but definitely just as good =).  I don't think any film could be much better than a Simon Pegg movie =). They are not the same kind of comedy at all, despite both of them having zombies in them.

Eisenberg is in another movie called The Squid and the Whale.  Have you watched it?  I was thinking of putting it in my queue.  You'll have to let me know what you think if Zombieland , after you get a chance to view it.
Gnomes live ten times faster than humans. They're harder to see than a high-speed mouse. That's one reason why most humans hardly ever see them. The other is that humans are very good at not seeing things they know aren't there. And, since sensible humans know that there are no such things as people four inches high, a gnome who doesn't want to be seen probably won't be seen... Terry Pratchett

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom

I wouldn't say it is better than Shaun of the Dead, but definitely just as good =).  I don't think any film could be much better than a Simon Pegg movie =). They are not the same kind of comedy at all, despite both of them having zombies in them.

Eisenberg is in another movie called The Squid and the Whale.  Have you watched it?  I was thinking of putting it in my queue.  You'll have to let me know what you think if Zombieland , after you get a chance to view it.

It'll probably be a long time before I see Zombieland, since I'm waiting for Netflix. But The Squid and the Whale is excellent! It's about a highly dysfunctional family -- which is a genre of movies I usually avoid. But this one works. I think I rated it 9 out of 10 when I exchanged reviews with my movie-reviewing buddy. And Jesse Eisenberg is just one of those actors who instantly wins your sympathies.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County

Great Film and Short, Sweet, and Just Right !

Lets not forget the Sweet Emma Stone (Who could pass as Joan Jetts Kid Sister) and Abigail Breslin as the Sisterly Con Artist Duo of Wichita and Little Rock

Also loved the "cameo" by Bill Murray as Bill Murray ! ^_^

BTW someone warn PSM about the following .....

Columbus: There are no penguins in the North Pole.
Tallahassee: ...You wanna see how hard i can punch?
:psm:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:58:56 am by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Ire

• Anarchist
    • Mosslight

I watched it with a friend, great movie  :mellow:

I just wish they'd kept up with the little 'Zombie Rules' throughout the movie. Started out strong in the beginning and then they dropped off; I really liked them.
There are no heroes, and wishes only come true in fairy tales.

www.mosslight.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up