The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Certain Things In The Movies You're NOT Suppose To Notice  (Read 6828 times)

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
  • Clinging to his guns and religion in Bucks County
Re: Certain Things In The Movies You're NOT Suppose To Notice
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 06:34:32 pm »

The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy movie, so some things are somewhat off-limits to this type of appraisal,

S6: Oh.....God....Besides Claire, Just how many of these LOTR Geeks are on this board ????? :panic:

STAR WARS VS LOTR

Another that gets me about 'dog-fight' sequences--you don't hear much talking during maneuvers, just a lot of grunting like all the pilots are constipated and trying really hard to not be constipated....besides the planes seldom get that close...

Which is something else about Behind Enemy Lines--they're pulling lots of high-g maneuvers, but talking and looking around like they're sitting on a park bench....

Aniother thing about INDEPENDENCE DAY is that a team of Software Engineers with a million dollar budget and six months can't get Computer A to print off of Server B or get a MAC to communicate effectively with a PC yet Jeff Goldblum's character can overcome an Alien firewall, take down the shields in two hours while he is drunk and haven't slept in two days.   :huh:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:40:52 pm by Secret Six »
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

jimoutside

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »

Besides Claire, Just how many of these LOTR Geeks are on this board ????? :panic:

Sorry.

"I wish it might not have happened in my time."
Jim, Free Radical

Do what you can do first, do what you can't do second.

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:59 am »

Besides Claire, Just how many of these LOTR Geeks are on this board ????? :panic:

Sorry.

"I wish it might not have happened in my time."

The LOTR Books were far better than the movies....

Also....

Rambo III where Stallone  is driving the Russian T-72 and also loading and firing the main gun as he makes a chicken run at the Russian chopper.

Thats a good trick, anyone know how he did it?  :huh:
Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.  - Theodore Roosevelt

Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House? - Will Rogers

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 07:39:58 am »

The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy movie, so some things are somewhat off-limits to this type of appraisal, but one big problem I had was when Gandalf went to see Saruman at the beginning, when Saruman traps him on top of the tower. Gandalf went there thinking he would find help from his old friend / mentor / ally, thinking that Saruman was still on his side. They walk around in the courtyard of Isengard, Saruman's fortress, conversing. Shortly after Saruman defeats him in a wizard's duel and imprisons him on top of the tower, evil orcs that are Saruman's servants enter his headquarters to ask for instructions. It is shortly revealed to the viewer that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of these vile creatures in residence in caverns below Isengard. Gandalf, with all his wizard's instincts, knowledge, and magic, should have been able to have detected as soon as he stepped foot on Saruman's property that there were orcs nearby, and that would have clued him in that Saruman was up to no good, since orcs were absolute anathema to all the free peoples. In fact, later in the movie, in the Mines of Moria, Gandalf uses his sense of smell to determine which tunnel to travel down. Gandalf! if you can smell orcs in Moria, you should have smelled them in Isengard! Goodness sakes!

Like many things in the films, they squished what actually took several years into about 20 seconds of film.  Sauruman actually managed to deceive Galadriel and Elrond as well, being head of the White Council.  Remember that the Istari were maiar, or angelic powers, of the same type as Sauron himself.  And even though they did not know the true nature of his treachery, they had already started to distrust him, especially Galadriel.  She knew something was wrong when Saruaman delayed their assault on Dol Guldur - which they figured out later was because he was searching the area near the Galaddin Fields for the Ring himself.

It is also the weakness of the Good that it doesn't think sneaky.  Just like Sauron could not even imagine the idea that someone could get the power of the One Ring and then decide to DESTROY it.  This really never even entered his mind.  So it didn't easily enter the mind of Gandalf that one of his fellow good-guys was actually an evil bastard.
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:15:03 am »

Although we enjoyed The BACK TO THE FUTURE Films, one thing always bothered me....

How come Lou the owner of the Diner where Marty McFly encounters his dad never noticed the Money he used with the Post 1955 Dates on them when he paid for his Soda Pop ???

Especially if he used a JFK/Eisenhower Silver dollar as well ?

And if Marty really wanted to prove to the 1950's Doc Brown he was from 1985, why did'nt he show Doc the various Dollar Bills he had in his wallet especially with the dread Federal Reserve Note on them ???

Remember when $$$$ had PAID TO THE BEARER ON DEMAND upon them ?

David

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:08 am »

Although we enjoyed The BACK TO THE FUTURE Films, one thing always bothered me....

http://cinematropolis.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/backfuture_l.jpg

How come Lou the owner of the Diner where Marty McFly encounters his dad never noticed the Money he used with the Post 1955 Dates on them when he paid for his Soda Pop ???

And if Marty really wanted to prove to the 1950's Doc Brown he was from 1985, why did'nt he show Doc the various Dollar Bills he had in his wallet especially with the dread Federal Reserve Note on them ???

More importantly why didn't his parents recognize Marty in 1985 as the teenager they'd met in 1955?

velojym

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:26 am »

http://cinematropolis.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/backfuture_l.jpg

More importantly why didn't his parents recognize Marty in 1985 as the teenager they'd met in 1955?

I'm thinking it'd be kinda like the 'boiling frog'. As he grew up in their house, he slowly grew to look like himself.... so slowly they didn't
really even realize it. And, without pictures of him from the past... 30 years can make a memory pretty foggy sometimes.

As for the money, I'd imagine the guy at the cafe was more wary of receiving slugs than counterfeit coins, so may never have checked the
dates at all... or looked at the edges. At our FBO, hell, the only reason I look at the dates is because I'm specifically looking for pre-'64 silver (fat chance)
and pre '82 pennies (I do find those frequently).

Here's an issue from that movie... When Marty went back to 1886... there were two cars present. While Doc needed to leave one intact and in place for
Marty to find in the '50s, they could still easily have taken the still fresh gas out of it to fuel the one Marty brought back, which lost ALL its fuel through
a shallow arrow hit in the aft pillar (I can't say for sure, not knowing the design... but it seems pretty unlikely).
Also, a genius scientist would have known better than to dump whiskey into the car, and if he could create a contraption that would generate an ice cube in the
desert, he oughta be able to build a serviceable still, making the fuel problem moot.

Looking at his rifle, I'd love to find an old-school scope for my Marlin, but the manufactured ones offered these days are kinda pricey for me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:49:49 am by velojym »

Secret Six

• BANNED
  • S6
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:30 am »

Another question about BTTF is this ....

After Marty's Dad knocks out Biff in the first film, why did'nt they call the Cops and have Biff arrested for attempted rape of Marty's Mom and really get him out of their hair for good since this was still the Law and Order 1950's ???

Unless they used that to blackmail him to leave them alone and keep him in line for the rest of their school days ???

BTW anyone notice Billy Zane as one of Biff's Posse (Match) in BTTF ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:22:23 am by Secret Six »

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up